+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 85 FirstFirst ... 357576777879808182838485

Thread: Smallville

Re: Smallville

Just saw the finale.

Wow, I didn't think they would be able to wrap it up well but boy did they. Now this is the way to have a series finale. Even with all the flashbacks they were able to tie up the Jonathan vs Jor-el story line, the past and destiny story line, get married or not story line, save Ollie, bring back Chloe, destroy or at least eliminate the Darkseid threat, show Lex Luthor past and president, see Clark fly, see Clark in the suit and save the world. All that and it didn't seem rushed. This entire series should be a must see and study for all those who want to reimage a series and feed the audience so it is always hungry and wanting more. Bravo.
    "When life gives you lemons, squirt lemon juice in your enemy's eyes."

As someone who hasn't watched in a really long time, I was pleased with the finale! It made sense to me and I didn't feel like I had missed everything. I really enjoyed it. There were a few parts that I wasn't over the moon about but I attribute that to not watching for 4+ years.

I was very pleased with the finale also. Sure there were some imperfections but the return of so many beloved characters and the payoff in other areas (flying, the suit) made it worth it. I was very very happy that Chloe got a happy ending and IMO a central role with providing the narrative on the bookend plot as well as saving Clark's behind yet again and perhaps in the most important way by preventing him from putting on the gold kryptonite ring. I thought some of the wedding lead-up dragged a bit and the Darkseid/Apocolypse defeat was a bit anticlimactic.

When Lex appeared in the mansion and faced Clark, that was one of the best moments for me. That whole scene about enemies and heroes was fantastic and Michael Rosenbaum brought his A-game for sure. Despite his long absence from the show, all the great Lex characteristics were there.

Now 2 questions for you guys: 1 - when Chloe gave Clark his goodbye hug before leaving the farm to go back to Star City, Clark gave her a very strange look. Do you think that was because she made the comment about the funny pages, like she had seen all of this happen already and knew the outcome from when she put on the Fate helmet? I thought it was maybe because Clark heard a second heartbeat and knew she was pregnant. The second question is - I know we had seen Lex become president before. As soon as I saw that white suit, I remembered seeing that in another episode. But I can't remember which one or why - was it an alternate universe, a premonition, - can anyone help me figure out where we saw that before?

Also - I think the CW is reairing the finale this Thursday if you want to watch again.

Yes, the CW is reairing the Smallville finale on Thursday, May 19, 2011. This makes a great lead in to Supernatural's 2 hour finale on Friday, May 20, 2011.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by MiaT2 View Post
    I was very pleased with the finale also. Sure there were some imperfections but the return of so many beloved characters and the payoff in other areas (flying, the suit) made it worth it. I was very very happy that Chloe got a happy ending and IMO a central role with providing the narrative on the bookend plot as well as saving Clark's behind yet again and perhaps in the most important way by preventing him from putting on the gold kryptonite ring. I thought some of the wedding lead-up dragged a bit and the Darkseid/Apocolypse defeat was a bit anticlimactic.

When Lex appeared in the mansion and faced Clark, that was one of the best moments for me. That whole scene about enemies and heroes was fantastic and Michael Rosenbaum brought his A-game for sure. Despite his long absence from the show, all the great Lex characteristics were there.

Now 2 questions for you guys: 1 - when Chloe gave Clark his goodbye hug before leaving the farm to go back to Star City, Clark gave her a very strange look. Do you think that was because she made the comment about the funny pages, like she had seen all of this happen already and knew the outcome from when she put on the Fate helmet? I thought it was maybe because Clark heard a second heartbeat and knew she was pregnant. The second question is - I know we had seen Lex become president before. As soon as I saw that white suit, I remembered seeing that in another episode. But I can't remember which one or why - was it an alternate universe, a premonition, - can anyone help me figure out where we saw that before?

Also - I think the CW is reairing the finale this Thursday if you want to watch again.
    I agree, that was a very odd look. Did that child look to be the right age for her to be pregnant then? By the way, I loved the passing shot of Ollie's quiver in the child's bedroom at the end...just in case anyone had any doubts about who the dad was!

Quote Originally Posted by PWS View Post
    I agree, that was a very odd look. Did that child look to be the right age for her to be pregnant then? By the way, I loved the passing shot of Ollie's quiver in the child's bedroom at the end...just in case anyone had any doubts about who the dad was!
    That's what I loved about the finale the attention to these small details that answered so many questions for the devoted fans and yet did not stall the pace of the overall story.

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

I had to watch it twice before commenting because there was just SO much. I loved it - actually loved it more the second time b/c I could sit back and just watch what was happening instead of trying to guess what would happen next.

I'm soooo glad they brought Jonathan back and that he played such a big role. His reappearance actually made sense and didn't seem hokie. Also, Lex was perfection. His comment about how Clark said "Lex?" was hilarious - but so true! He was given his moment at the end when they replayed his major scenes through the years while he was losing his memory - thought that was great. Poor Tess - all alone at her end, though she managed to do some good.

I loved how Lois & Clark each read the other's vows before the wedding. For some reason, those scenes gave them more weight than if they'd been said at the wedding. Or maybe that was just me. When Lois looked around and didn't see Clark and then he grabbed her hand...I admit it, I got a little choked up. I loved their walk down the aisle. [Loved that song too.]

Chloe - she's the only person I was confused about - MiaT2, I'm glad you mentioned Chloe possibly having foreseen the future with the helmet b/c I've been scratching my head at WHY she'd have that half-smile as she walked away. It was off. But I'm glad she played such a big part. It was nice to have her back.

I thought the way they integrated all of the scenes from years past was perfect. Anyone else surprised by all of the things you may have forgotten about? (I forgot about Lana's tornado!) I can't think of a better way for them to have done it.

The ONLY thing I disliked were the scenes of "Clark" in the supersuit but I read that they had to do CGI because of trademarks and TW not being allowed to wear it. But the end, when they played the trademark music and he started moving across the roof...gave me goosebumps.

Thanks for a great 10 years, Smallville. You sure went out with the bang I'd hoped you would!
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

The ONLY thing I disliked were the scenes of "Clark" in the supersuit but I read that they had to do CGI because of trademarks and TW not being allowed to wear it. But the end, when they played the trademark music and he started moving across the roof...gave me goosebumps.
    cantstop - was that in regards to the new movie "reboot" 2.0 they are planning? I can't understand why he wouldn't be allowed to wear it (unless the reasoning is that he would look better in it than the new Superman actor they hired!! )

+ Reply to Thread