+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pepsi Smash

FORT Fogey

Pepsi Smash

I wasnt sure if this would be a thread for the Music or Non-Reality TV show threads. Its a TV show but mostly musical performances. In any event;

What does everyone who has seen this show think of the new season so far?

I think they have done a GREAT job of booking acts and highlighting many diverse music musical genres from pop, punk, r&b, classic rock. I like that they give exposure to some new up and coming act and I especially like the remote feed they use each week to show headline level acts performing in concert such as "The Cure" and "Blink 182". As well as top notch in studio music from the likes of "Maroon 5", "Black Eyed Peas", "Alanis Morisette" (not sure about the new album) and Lenny Kravitz.

The part of the show I could do without is the banter between the usual MTV cookie cutter host and hostesses and the inipit questions they ask the stars. The girl hostess (i dont recall her name) could do a little better research too...in her interview with Robert Smith, she said he was the leader of the "The Coors" ...he took it in stride and only barely rolled his eyes, she later corrected herself to say "The Cure".

More music, less babble.

I watched last week, only to see Morrissey who they listed as an act for that week, and they DIDN'T have him on. Never again, crappy show.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    I watched last week, only to see Morrissey who they listed as an act for that week, and they DIDN'T have him on. Never again, crappy show.
    Was he supposed to be on last week Texi? I could have sworn that they were plugging that he would be on "next week" which would be this week. Maybe I am wrong.

I know that the hostess made mention that "Blink 182" insisted on doing an extra, "unplanned" song. I thought that was just a staged ruse as it was their second song and the previous "remote" bands all also played two songs each.

But if Morrisey was supposed to be on last week I wonder if he got bumped because of the "extra" Blink 182 song. That would suck, give me Morrisey too.

I never saw this show before last week; when I came home from work the husband had it on and I walked in at the exact moment Joss Stone began her performance beautiful but accidental timing on my part. (Yes, I love her, I bought her Soul Sessions CD and am a new-found fan.) I didn't see any other acts, would've liked to have seen the Black-Eyed Peas though. What night is it normally on?
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by AJane
    I never saw this show before last week; when I came home from work the husband had it on and I walked in at the exact moment Joss Stone began her performance beautiful but accidental timing on my part. (Yes, I love her, I bought her Soul Sessions CD and am a new-found fan.) I didn't see any other acts, would've liked to have seen the Black-Eyed Peas though. What night is it normally on?
    In my area its on Thursday nights at 7:00 pm central 8 pm Eastern.

AJ, did you think Joss Stone was better than the other act that beat her out in the "Vote for who gets to do an extra song" thingy?

Edit: scratch my last question AJ and i reread your post and see that mention not seeing the other acts.

I dunno who was the other act? I didn't see them. I doubt I would have voted for anyone other than her, though.
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Moz cancelled his appearance on this show. They replaced him with Phantom Planet. And I still hold that show responsible for at least bothering to announce the no-show.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    Moz cancelled his appearance on this show. They replaced him with Phantom Planet. And I still hold that show responsible for at least bothering to announce the no-show.
    For sure...that does blow

AJ - ironically, i believe it was Phantom Planet that went up again Joss Stone in the who gets an extra song thingy.

I think its called the "Smash Off"

This week's (June 17) show is advertising:

In studio
    * Alicia Keys
    * Sugarcult
    * Kayne West
    * Switchfoot

Remote feed
    * Kid Rock
    Last edited by Daddio; 06-16-2004 at 03:05 PM.

Well, in that case, I definitely would've just been pissed off that it wasn't Joss Stone who got the extra song

Kid Rock, huh? Quick, someone alert JD!

TV Fanatic Snake Champion baskiddball's Avatar
    I totally didnt like most of the acts this year but I did catch the finale and it was great. It had mario weinins (sp), jessica simpson, avril lavigne, john mayor, and EVANESCENCE AND SEETHER!!

+ Reply to Thread