+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oz

Oz

Are there any Oz fans? (HBO version )

Eldee, I love your taste in TV

I was addicted to Oz. I found Christopher Meloni to be absolutely mesmerizing as Keller.

Actually, all the L & O actors who appeared on Oz were amazing...Meloni, Kathryn Erbe, J.K. Simmons
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

FORT Fogey
    Has anyone noticed that a LOT of actors/actresses from HBO shows such as OZ appear on a lot of NBC Law & Order shows?

I always liked OZ a lot. Its a shame its over but I like a show that quits when the writing is still excellent and not a show that went on way too long (like Sex in the City IMHO)

averagejane, I just saw the DVD for the first time this weekend. It's great!

Did you see the first season or the whole thing, Eldee?

I still watch it in repeats, to catch shows I missed here and there. The last show was fantastic...I hope the Sopranos ends with a bang like that.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Average Jane, when I took out the 3 discs, they were mixed up and neither one of us noticed. I got vol. 1 from the first season which was next to vol. 2 and 3 from the second season.

I really liked the music. I don't remember the character names but, I did like the characters very much. I hope that short haired, guy rapist Nazi gets it.

Why do you think that they use the guy in the wheelchair as the narrator? Is it because he is less threatening and the audience might empathize with him more?

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Why do you think that they use the guy in the wheelchair as the narrator? Is it because he is less threatening and the audience might empathize with him more?
    I think its just a way for the show's writers to be creative and symbolic. To have him open and close every episode and set the tone with one of his poems or a stream of consciousness - rather than just jump right into the script.

The same thing was done with "Northern Exposure" where the local, moody, poet laurette DJ would open and close each episode with a little monoloug to his radio listeners - which was really meant for the viewers benefit.

The "Wonder Years" also had it with Arnold's voiceovers.

Basically its a really neat and symbolic way to start each show by saying "OK, here is what tonights episode is about..." and then to end each episode by saying "This is what you should have taken away from tonights episode if I did my job well"

Daddio, I get what you're saying. Do you think there was any particular reason why they chose him? Is it because he is less threatening while still being strong or because he is fairly neutral?

FORT Fogey
    I think it was because his charecter was a writer/poet. So he seemed to be the natural choice as narrator - we were seeing OZ through his eyes just as we were seeing teenage life in the early 1970's through Arnold's eyes and we were seeing the daily life in Sicily Alaska through the DJ's eyes and rememberences.

Now if we saw OZ through Cyril's eyes...

"Today was good. We had orange jello... The End"

Ah, I understand what your are saying. Thanks, Daddio!

Is Oz still on HBO and what season are they on now?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast