+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oz

This was a show that both attracted me and repelled me at the same time. The brtuality made me wince and turn away on more than one occasion. Nobody could understand why I watched until they sat down and watched too. Then they were spellbound.
    The characters on this show are like those you would never meet in reality, but you could see bits and pieces of them in people you knew. The stories were not only well written but original. Characters like Vern Shillenger, Adabesi, Siad, Keller and the O'Reilly brothers, will probably never be seen on tv again.
    I hear a new show by the guys who did Oz and Homicide, called The Jury will be on soon--I'll be intersted to see what its like.

Hi Cable Jockey. Yes, the character development and the story lines are both compelling.

I'll have to try and match the names with the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    Has anyone noticed that a LOT of actors/actresses from HBO shows such as OZ appear on a lot of NBC Law & Order shows?
    That's because they are both the brainchildren of Tom Fontana.
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Ah, I understand what your are saying. Thanks, Daddio!

Is Oz still on HBO and what season are they on now?
    The show has been cancelled. They aired the "Series Finale" a while back. I dont know if they still show it in reruns or not - and its too hot for network or basic cable stations.

Which leads me to a bit of an off thread question.

How in the world are they going to show "Sex & the City" on TBS? Will each episode be 5 minutes long? They will have to rename it "{censored} & the City"

They definately wont be able to show much of Samantha's character. I dont know if she had three scenes during the show's entire run that didnt include her saying or doing the "F" word.
    Last edited by Daddio; 06-07-2004 at 01:00 PM.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Texicana
    That's because they are both the brainchildren of Tom Fontana.
    Thank you my dear...that makes perfect sense...Steven Bochco used to like to use a lot of the same actors and actresses over and over as well.

Go with what works.

The show has been cancelled. They aired the "Series Finale" a while back. I dont know if they still show it in reruns or not - and its too hot for network or basic cable stations. .....
    It that's the case then, that is really too bad. Some shows focus on the sex and forget almost everything else. This show didn't. Grrrrr! Plus, they didn't try to glamorize the violence either.

But at least the show ended while it was still good. And it never lost the ability to surprise me with the plot twists.

In Canada, they show repeats every Friday night on our Showtime network...that channel has a lot of cool, edgy, uncensored programming
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Now if we saw OZ through Cyril's eyes...

"Today was good. We had orange jello... The End"
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Average Jane, how many seasons did the show run for?

FORT Fogey
    HBO is trying to do a similar, cold, gritty provactive type of in-your-face show with "Deadwood".

But IMHO, so far "Deadwood" has only manged to match OZ with regards to the profanity and violence, but havent reached the same level of charecter developement or thought provoking plot-lines.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast