+ Reply to Thread
Page 27 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Six Feet Under

DagnyTaggart--I feel the same about Nate. He is my favorite character from my favorite show--and they killed him! I have always thought he is such a BABE.

I don't quite 'get' the van scene...David started out as a 'stoner' then when they got to the beach, he was in a suit..why? I'm missing something...maybe someone more intellectual can explain...

I was also thinking how everyone in Nates' life got to say goodbye, Rico, Maggie, Brenda, Maya, David, Keith (& the boys), Claire, they were all in the hospital room....Everyone except Ruth..There will probably be something to that in the end...

FORT Fanatic
    I watched the last episode again last night (when I was supposed to be working at one in the morning, excellent use of time...) and really enjoyed (in a depressed way) the symbolism of the brothers' shared dream. I know I didn't pick up on everything yet, but here are some nuggets of BS floating through my sleep-deprived mind:
    Maggie was a symbol of death, just like the bird who kept flying into the house during the party episode. And that's the same episode when Nate began to flirt in earnest with Maggie. Even her name is reminiscent of a bird -Maggie's are often referred to in books as "Magpie." In the hospital, Nate tells Brenda that they will not be going through what comes next together. Instead, he indicates that he will be going off with Maggie to finally find peace. Maggie symbolizes peacefulness and rest of spirit, she and her quakers symbolize quiet, and to Nate they symbolize death.
    Ruth goes through the episode seemingly separate from what is going on - but she's not. Last season (or the one before?) she shared with Nate the experience of the unintended ecstasy tablet from the aspirin bottle. This camping trip she cannot get past how different she feels. She is no longer feeling the same thing her son did. She is coping with how all men want their mother, and she turns her back on that motherhood when she imagines shooting Nate Sr in the path when he is blocking her progress.
    Brenda asks Nate about Maya and he doesn't even worry about it - like he's not a part of it - and he tells her that is a conversation for the future. As it surely will be in the remaining episodes.
    In the final dream, the boys start by dreaming together. David is perhaps how he seems himself in some interior moments - relaxed, stoner - and Nate instantly accepts this vision as the real David. Asking about his suit, David tells him he's wearing it. We think he means the bathing suit, but then at the end we see he is in his normal funereal suit. The boys say they have been waiting their whole lives for this moment - and of course they must have, growing up in a funeral home, always confronted with death and the knowledge of their own mortality. There must have always been a morbid curiosity as to what the moment would feel like when they got to experience it themselves. But they are rowdy and indicating that they are to embark together on a journey that every human has to take separately - and so their father - the funeral director, the G-d figure of the entire series - turns to the back of the hearse and asks, "Do I have to separate you boys?"
    But he doesn't - they separate themselves when Nate takes off his clothes (signifying the nakedness of both birth and death), says he is ready, and runs into the pounding waves while David hangs back, suddenly himself again - separate from his brother - and refuses his father's taunt to jump in. DAvid knows his brother is going, wants to be with him, but is more tied to his responsibilities and duty to keep living. Always deferential to his father in the past, David - now a father himself - replies to his dad rather bitterly, "Why don't you go?"
    Then again, I could just be reading far too much into this in an attempt to make Cutie Krause's death not so depressing!
    I can't figure out any BS significance to pin on Claire in this episode. She was going home to shower and start afresh?? I don't know - I was applying my sunless tanner in the bathroom during the bulk of her scenes.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Good Grief, Taggart..............that was impressive.

I am hating the ending of this series. Wrong, wrong, wrong.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic
    a little wordy, I know.
    i just heard someone at work say maggie is prolly pregnant with nate's (or jude law's at the rate he's going) baby. sounds reasonable.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DagnyTaggart
    a little wordy, I know.
    i just heard someone at work say maggie is prolly pregnant with nate's (or jude law's at the rate he's going) baby. sounds reasonable.
    I liked your analysis, Dagny! I love this show and I really loved Nate's character (plus it didn't hurt that he was so danged cute ). I hate that he died. I was kind of depressed too...not sure why. Maybe because he passed a milestone birthday and dropped dead shortly after? That's depressing. But it's TV and it's Six Feet Under so it is depressing in a sort of funny way.

I loved the last few episodes. I identified with so many of the characters. Ruth and how she couldn't deal with leaving George without doing something to appease her guilt. Vanessa when she said she really loved Rico but was having a hard time getting past the whole cheating thing. Nate and his search for peace (found it didn't he? ).

I hope they don't show that scum that Ruth went camping with again! He basically was trying to rape her (what part of NO did he not understand!). I really dislike that guy.

How many episodes are left? Does anyone know? I wish this season wasn't the last one. I am going to miss it.
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

Wow Dagny~that was great! Now alot of things from this episode make some sense. Thanks so much!

KaiCee-I think there's about four more episodes left.

I plan on buying a few seasons on DVD, too. I never get tired of watching this show, even re-runs.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Fire, I think there are only 3 new episodes left, unfortunately. I'm sure we all want it to go on and on and on. I never saw the episode where Claire's boyfriend committed suicide. Can't remember his name. It was really early in season 1 or 2, I think.

Kai, I was also really affected by Nate's death. After I watched it, I couldn't sleep for a couple of hours........and it was 1 a.m. The scene was very well done. He looked just like every newly dead person that I have ever seen.

I also think Maggie is pregnant. HOW CAN THEY END THIS NOW??? HBO sux eggs.....big time!!! There is so much more that can be done with this show!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I too was really affected. My friend's father recently passed away and watching Nate die felt real. The writers are very good! I cried for almost an hour!
    Yup, with donuts!!

I thought about Maggie being preggers too. Now wouldn't that be somethin?!

posted by dagnytaggart --- [/QUOTE]and so their father - the funeral director, the G-d figure of the entire series - turns to the back of the hearse and asks, "Do I have to separate you boys?"
    But he doesn't - they separate themselves when Nate takes off his clothes (signifying the nakedness of both birth and death), says he is ready, and runs into the pounding waves while David hangs back, suddenly himself again - [QUOTE]

Wow...that is some deep sh*t!!! I'm glad I TiVo'd this so I can go back and watch it again!! Thanks for the great insight dagny...I'm stunned at all the symbolism you were able to pick up on. I had a hard time seeing the screen through the tears.

Here's a question that some of you learned Six Feet Under fans may be able to answer for me...Did Brenda ever adopt Mya?? If so, ya think she'll keep her?? I have a feeling David will take her.

If Maggie is preggers poor Ruth will never get rid of George!! I'm on pins and needles with the anticipation of how difficult tonights episode will be to watch...But if this show has taught me anything it's that the dead often make cameo appearances. I'm pretty sure we haven't seen the end of Nate just yet!!
    "Life is a banquet, and most poor suckers are starving to death"

+ Reply to Thread