+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do over

nope, another funny episode of Do Over for my viewing pleasure!

this show cracks me up! the father is SO proud that his son is finally being a "man's man!" he's having a chance to conquer fears that have plagued him through his life.

made me last night when the skinny star, joel, stood up to the star football player in his class. the fb player was giving a speech on the benefits of steroids when joel sees an opportunity to get a laugh and asks, "are there any downfalls to taking steroids?" the guy replies that there's none, when joel stands up and announces to everyone (including the fb player's girlfriend and object of joel's affection) that steroids shrink your testicles and make you impotent. what joel had forgotten was that unlike in the future as a 34 year old in high school it gets your ass kicked!

"I completely forgot people beat you up in school," Joel says. "When you're older, they just go behind your back and complain to human resources."
    funny stuff....

you catch joel doing impersonations of austin powers, which just baffles his friends, who think he's a freak b/c they have no basis for the reference.

and standing in line for opening day of "star wars: the empire strikes back," when bullies prevent joel and his friends from getting in, he ruins the movie by screaming out the endings for not only "the empire strikes back" but also, "return of the jedi" and "phantom menace"!

you guys soooooo have to give this show a chance!
    Last edited by sher; 09-27-2002 at 01:36 PM.

a couple of reviews of "do over". for complete stories, follow the links.

*source http://www.desnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,405031328,00.html

WB's 'Do Over' is done right

Sometimes what sounds like the dumbest of ideas turn out to be the best TV shows as is clearly demonstrated by the WB's "Do Over."

The premise of the new sitcom is that a 34-year-old Joel Larsen, whose life hasn't turned out so great, is magically transported back to the year 1982 and gets to live life over again from the age of 14. If you just accept that (and it isn't hard), what you'll discover is a funny, nostalgic and ultimately heartwarming comedy.

Executive producer Rick Wiener said, "He felt like he missed out on life a little bit. Somewhere he took a wrong turn, so maybe by going back he can correct that."

There's a certain element of wish fulfillment in the premise who among us wouldn't want to go back and change things for the better? And there's also a lot of laughs in watching the older-than-his-years Joel (teenage actor Penn Badgley) adjust to being both 14 again and being two decades removed from his reality.

Badgley is a find he's perfectly cast and turns in a fabulous performance... As is the writing. The producers have made a great decision in that they're in the 1980s and they're going to stay there. "Joel is never going to go back to his future," Wiener said, so there's no lingering question hanging over the storylines.

"Do Over" sounds dumb. But it's one of the best new comedies you'll see this season.
    one more:

[i]*source http://www.post-gazette.com/tv/20020919owenfnp2.asp

WB's 'Do Over' a fun flashback to teen years

The gods of television programming have long been cruel. Remember last year's Tuesday night dilemma? "The Guardian" vs. "24" vs. "NYPD Blue" vs. "Smallville" vs. "Frasier" and "Scrubs"?

Now there's a new twist. This fall's funniest new comedy airs opposite last fall's funniest new comedy.

The WB's "Do Over" premieres at 8:30 tonight, but in two weeks it will be up against new episodes of NBC's "Scrubs" (not to mention CBS's "Survivor: Thailand"). Better learn to program that dusty VCR.

"Do Over" is one of two new series -- the other is "That Was Then" on ABC -- that sends a thirtysomething guy back in time to the '80s to relive high school.

"Do Over" is far superior, with a funny, occasionally bawdy script by series creators Rick Weiner and Kenny Schwartz and a terrific performance by newcomer Penn Badgley, who brings to mind Michael J. Fox in his "Family Ties" era.

Joel sets out to right the wrongs of the forthcoming 20 years, which include his parents' divorce, his sister's substance abuse and his own thinning hair and dead-end job. He also tries to get closer to his father (Michael Milhoan), a thoughtless meathead.

The '80s setting gives producers license to use music from the era and toss in pop culture gags. Upcoming episodes include odes to "The Blues Brothers" and "Star Wars," which could be a "So what?" given how many times it's been done before, but "Do Over" finds an entertaining way to bring "Star Wars" into its story that's unexpected, original and hilarious.

Joel laments that for the next 20 years he'll have nothing to watch on TV but reruns, but he finds ways to make this foreknowledge work to his advantage. In a speech to the student body at school, he urges them: "Carpe diem! Seize the day!"

"So I'm stealing from 'Dead Poet's Society,' " Joel says in his narration. "They won't know for another eight years!"

The idea of returning to high school is generally viewed as nightmarish, but watching Joel and his friends go through it may make you happily wistful.

I finally saw it! I taped it from the west coast station, and watched this morning!
    The whole Austin Powers thing was so funny, because he just kept going and finished it off. I like his friend too (the one that knows he's "from the future".
    Very fun watch indeed.
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

Ok, I haven't even seen this show yet, but an article about it in TV Guide made me already hate it.

The kid goes back to 1981, but they're using a series of songs in the show from '83 and '84. The producer says something like "the songs just fit, so we had to use 'em"...I'm thinking, if they HAD to use 'em, then make the kid go back to '85, and you're safe. Why '81?

Sigh.

That would annoy me too John.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Originally posted by John
    Ok, The kid goes back to 1981, but they're using a series of songs in the show from '83 and '84. The producer says something like "the songs just fit, so we had to use 'em"...I'm thinking, if they HAD to use 'em, then make the kid go back to '85, and you're safe. Why '81?

Sigh.
    i can understand that... but unless you have an exceptionally good memory... meaning you know the year of movie releases, etc (something i don't) then you wouldn't know what year it was exactly as they never reference that it's 1981 on the show.

it IS a funny, funny show!

FORT Fogey
    I saw this show a couple times and was amused, but really preferred "That Was Then." They both got cancelled pretty quickly, though...

Too bad it's gone. I really liked it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12