10 p.m. "Without a Trace"

Friday

8 p.m. "Joan of Arcadia"
    9 p.m. "JAG"
    10 p.m. "Dr. Vegas"

Saturday

8 p.m. "48 Hours Mysteries"
    9 p.m. "The Amazing Race"
    10 p.m. "Crime Time Saturday" (CSI reruns)

Sunday

7 p.m. "60 Minutes"
    8 p.m. "Cold Case"
    9 p.m. "CBS Sunday Movie"

NEW YORK/LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Having just renewed its top comedy, "Everybody Loves Raymond," for one more year, CBS will launch five new shows this fall featuring such familiar faces as Rob Lowe (news), John Goodman (news) and Jason Alexander (news) -- and TV's hottest acronym, "CSI."

With few prime-time holes to fill going into its 2004-05 season, CBS on Wednesday unveiled a star-driven slate of two new sitcoms and three new dramas, including a previously announced third edition of the popular "CSI" detective franchise, "CSI: N.Y.," for Wednesday nights.

"It's a rather conservative schedule," Leslie Moonves, chief executive at CBS told a press conference, adding that the network was building on a position of strong ratings from this past season.

"When we look to next year ... our priority is to get a bit younger as well," in terms of viewer appeal, he said.

The original "CSI: Crime Scene Investigation," remains the highest-rated drama on U.S. television. The latest installment based in New York was introduced toward the end of this season on "CSI: Miami" and stars Gary Sinise (news) and Melina Kanakaredes (news).

With the departure of "Friends" from rival network NBC, CBS will start the fall season with the top ranked comedy as well, "Everybody Loves Raymond," renewed this week for a ninth and final season.

"We think we have taken the mantle back" with top ratings, Moonves said. He said the Viacom network would not introduce a load of programs for mid-season, in contrast to NBC, which said it would introduce seven new shows later in the year rather than a traditional autumn launch.

"When somebody has five new shows and seven backups, it means they aren't so confident," Moonves said. "We're not going to announce six mid-season shows. We try to play it a little looser." Moonves said the network had ordered a midseason series with Jenna Elfman (news) of "Dharma & Greg" and also planned a Texas-style barbecue reunion special for the cast from 1980s hit "Dallas."

CBS was the fourth major network this week, following NBC, ABC and the WB, to take the wraps off its fall schedule as they begin the annual upfront negotiations to sell advertising time. Media analysts expect CBS to command higher price increases for commercial time than many rivals in the nearly $9 billion marketplace for prime-time advertising.

NETWORKS THINNER ON COMEDIES

Like the networks that went before it, CBS was placing more emphasis this year on dramas than comedy.

Making his second stab at prime-time success since leaving the ensemble cast of NBC political drama "The West Wing," Rob Lowe returns to network television this fall in "Dr. Vegas," co-starring Joe Pantoliano (news), formerly of HBO's "The Sopranos."

Lowe's previous solo outing, last year's legal drama "The Lyon's Den" on NBC, was a ratings dud.

Rounding out the new drama slate on CBS is the baseball coming-of-age story "Clubhouse," co-starring Mare Winningham (news) and Dean Cain (news).

On the comedy front, CBS is banking on "Roseanne" veteran John Goodman and "Seinfeld" alumnus Jason Alexander -- two stars who made their names as supporting players on old hits but have so far failed to get their own shows off the ground.

Four years after the misfire of his Fox network comedy "Normal, Ohio," playing a gay father, Goodman stars in CBS's "Center of the Universe" with Olympia Dukakis (news) and Ed Asner (news).

Alexander, whose 2001 comedy "Bob Patterson" withered on ABC, will try again on "Listen Up," a comedy based on the life of sports columnist Tony Kornheiser.

TAR on Saturday nights? What kind of a time-slot is that?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

I don't know, but the happy news is that it's on the Fall schedule! Which means TAR6 is a certainty!

Good point, John. I think this summer, TAR5 will be on Thursday nights, right?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

FORT Fogey
    I guess this means that "Yes Dear" has been cancelled? I thought it did pretty decent ratings as the table setter for the Monday night comedies.

It was a good show - not a great show. And if it did get decent rating it is strange that CBS would axe a decent show with decent ratings and replace it with an unknown comodity heading into "Raymond's" finale season. Maybe all of those 3 episode pregnancies and babies that went from new born to walking and talking in half a season was their undoing.

Memo to Mike O'Malley (aka Jimmy). You are bald! We all know it. Wearing baseball caps 24 hours a day - including to bed and with tuxedos doesnt hide the fact.
    Last edited by Daddio; 05-19-2004 at 01:16 PM.

ohhhhhh CSI-NY against Law and Order ..... that should be an interesting split.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

survivor, tar and joan of arcadia... all is well in cbs land for me.

Thanks, John. I am glad to see TAR in the Fall lineup.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I still don't understand why they don't just have 3 CSIs a week instead of these spin-off shows. I can't stand the Miami version...I certainly hope the NY one is better. But still, I'd rather just see Grissom 3 times a week.

Nice to see CBS putting TAR on a night where people will actually watch it. :rolleyes
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

Caged Mah Jongg Solitaire Champion, Archery Champion Maveno's Avatar
    Thursday 8 p.m. "Survivor"

Saturday 8 p.m. "48 Hours Mysteries" (I'll watch if they're good mysteries.)
    9 p.m. "The Amazing Race" (I'll definitely want to watch.)

But due to the fact that that these two are on Saturdays.. I may not be able to catch them every time. Which bums me out, I absolutely LOVE TAR.
    Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays are [usually] the only days I don't watch t.v..
    So, CBS has only "shoe-horned" this viewer for Thursday nights, and for a mere hour at that.

All the other shows don't "do it" for me.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast