+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Frasier

FORT Fogey

Frasier

I didnt see a Frasier thread so I looked back a few pages and still didnt see one, so I apologize if this is a duplicate thread.

Which leads me to the point of this thread, the series ends tonight and not many people are talking about it.

Why do you feel that the series finale of Frasier seems to have received 1/100th the attention of the "Friends" finale?

The charecter of Dr. Frasier Crane is the longest running charecter in sitcom history - the good Dr. having been on tv in some form for the last 20 years. And Frasier was on the air one year longer than "Friends" and acheived similar ratings and won a wheelbarrow full of Emmys.

Was the "Friends-mania" just larger than life or did Frasier touch a different type of target audience that prefers a more subtle and boutique type of send-off?

The "Friends" finale is a tough act to follow - its like going to a kegger party the day after New Years. Yeah its nice, but you were just there and still have the hangover.

(again I apologize if this is a dupe thread)
    Last edited by Daddio; 05-13-2004 at 03:04 PM.

FORT Fogey
    I guess I could give the simplisitc analysis that people just cant handle more intelligent writing (although i loved friends as well), but Fraiser for so long was a top 10 show. Its ridiculous on NBC's part that they have not given more attention to Frasier's departure. While I like Friends and it became a cultural phenomenon, Fraiser is the show that will go down as a sitcom classic. It is the most honored sitcom in television history, winning 5 straight emmy's and something like 31 or something overall both of which are records. It was a smart, well written, wonderfully acted show. Its a shame that again, quality loses out to popularity; its understandable but its a shame nonetheless.

Leia-Jakita-Arendt OnMyLunchBreak's Avatar
    Based on my personal experience, I think Frasier is getting less attention because its not going out on top. I mean Friends could have conceivably gone on for another 5 seasons and (although I thought the show stunk) people would have undoubtedly kept watching.

Frasier, on the other hand, has been going downhill in ratings and general pop-culture popularity since Daphne and Niles got together. That was when I and many of my friends stopped watching it. Before that I had been an avid Frasier watcher...both in prime time and syndication...but for some reason, after that, it just lost something for me.

That's my big, but not particularly well researched, opinion.

I think Friends appealed to a different demographic. I know my friends and I didn't gather every week to watch Frasier during college the way we did with Friends. I think Friends was more mass-market pop culture, which is why its ending received more attention. Yet I think Frasier is the wittier, more intelligent show, and I'll be sad to see it end and will definitely be watching it tonight.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey
    As a side-bar, aside from the content (and quality) of the writing, both shows had very similar premises:

* Both were set in upscale neighborhoods of major US cities where, apparently, no minorities existed.

* Both were about a group of friends/relatives that spend LOTS of time together discussing their love lives and problems and aside from Frasier & Roz, rarely, if ever seem to work.

* Both shows were often set at a specific coffee shop frequented by the characters

* Both shows contained a brainy, oft-divorced character

* Both shows had a running plot-line of unrequaited love between two of the charecters - who eventually got married and had a baby.

Both shows...well, now that I think of it, this all describes about 90% the sitcoms on TV.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    As a side-bar, aside from the content (and quality) of the writing, both shows had very similar premises:

* Both were set in upscale neighborhoods of major US cities where, apparently, no minorities existed.

* Both were about a group of friends/relatives that spend LOTS of time together discussing their love lives and problems and aside from Frasier & Roz, rarely, if ever seem to work.

* Both shows were often set at a specific coffee shop frequented by the characters

* Both shows contained a brainy, oft-divorced character

* Both shows had a running plot-line of unrequaited love between two of the charecters - who eventually got married and had a baby.

Both shows...well, now that I think of it, this all describes about 90% the sitcoms on TV.
    as I was reading, I was thinking the same thing, that it describes most sitcoms.

Don't forget that Lisa Kudrow was originally cast as the character "Roz" on Frasier, too

I'll be sad to see Frasier go. But to be honest, I haven't watched it in a couple of seasons - once Niles finally got Daphne, the fun went right out of it.

I just don't like how NBC is treating its farewell. So much hype for Friends, but a subtle tip-on-the-hat goodbye for Frasier. (Not a total complaint-- I think Frasier should go out with class.) I just feel like they haven't treated the show with fairness as obvious as moving it to so many timeslots.... not even having its finale in the same timeslot as it has been for years. Granted it used to be on Thursdays, but it would've stayed on Thursdays if NBC believed in it. *shrug* At least it has run for a long time. I will miss Frasier.

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    I think that the viewers of Frasier were older than the Friends crowd. Frasier never set fashion trends. When Jennifer Anniston cut her hair a certain way...every hairdresser across the country was asked to copy it. I don't think any of the Frasier characters inspired fashion, hairstyles or anything else marketable (I'm sure the networks loved that Jennifer could wear something and it would appear on the next Cosmo, People or Us magazine). Another thing is the actors on Friends have actively participated in the media frenzy (thinking Brad Pitt and Jennifer on the cover 90% of the People magazine covers...give or take). Some of the Frasier actors have had their day in the media frenzy...but not recently. Maybe the network execs just didn't think there were enough 16-19 year olds (target tv audience) to justify dedicating too much tv time to give Frasier a big send off?

Having said that...I cried my eyes out watching the last episode of Frasier!! Seriously, I never get that emotional about TV...I just weeped through a whole box of Kleenex! Probably had something to do with the fact that my mother watched the show religiously, passed away and left me to find out that Daphne and Niles got together!! I am going to be a mess when ER goes off the air. I just know it!

Frasier finale was sadder than Friends finale. Friends was funnier. I hate when good shows go off the air!! :phhht
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

It's all a Mystery to Me KaiCee's Avatar
    Speaking of the Frasier Finale...does anyone know why they showed the still pictures of actors and actresses after the show ended? Benjamin Bratt was one of them...I can't remember all of them. I first thought they were going to show actors and actresses that had long-standing parts on the show...but that couldn't be it because Frasiers agent wasn't shown. I wonder why they showed them? I haven't got a clue where I would find this information ...I guess I'm off to google.....
    When you learn, teach. When you get, give. ~ Maya Angelou

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast