+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Frasier

To continue the threadjack, should we ever meet, Leftcoaster, you may rest assured that I will take the truth over "support" (about everything but my weight, that is). I've always preferred being able to fix a problem than being allowed to wallow in it.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

PWS
    FORT Fogey
    Aww, Leftcoaster, that is indeed a tough situation to be in. (See how supporting I am? ) Don't worry, we know from your other posts you aren't anything like as heartless as that sounded.
    And back to Frasier... Yessss! I saw that his "dad" is in a play now I think, got good reviews, although can't recall if the overall play did. Or maybe it was a cable show. Something I knew I'd be unlikely to get to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2281631;
    To continue the threadjack, should we ever meet, Leftcoaster, you may rest assured that I will take the truth over "support" (about everything but my weight, that is). I've always preferred being able to fix a problem than being allowed to wallow in it.
    Provided a choice, Rattus, I'd also in general prefer to have another share the truth with me as well, in instances where they may more easily see than I that I'm an enabler or contributer to a problem I'm faced with confronting. But sometimes comfort instead of cold hard facts is what anyone needs at that particular moment. The truth doesn't always need to be offered as an either/or selection, it works well in complimentary fashion with other type of support unless time is critical.

As prevalent as women's weight is shown offered up humorously as standard fare in film and tv about men finding them in a 'Gnaw off my arm to escape from this trap' moment, its a serious enough issue. Instead of getting flummoxed to the point of stifling speech for dear life when encountering variations of 'Does this ??? make me look ?' inquiries to the point of stuffing a Snickers bar down my gullet or starting a tap dance number as distraction, I've gotten to the point where if I don't like what I'm seeing, I'll sidestep initially by saying that I believe that other one looks better to me, but even then, if pushed for an answer, I'll tell the truth if something worn isn't working visually to me.

Women tend to give men passes when they ask questions like that anyway, its mostly one of those minor man/woman 'put 'em on the spot and watch them squirm' game that add flavor to a relationship. Actually, that description minimalizes that sort of exchange. It is the small moments like that I've found I miss most of all when you lose someone you've cared for.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2281671;
    Aww, Leftcoaster, that is indeed a tough situation to be in. (See how supporting I am? ) Don't worry, we know from your other posts you aren't anything like as heartless as that sounded.
    You elicited a grin with your support, PWS.

I don't see 'Aww' as much as I used to, glad you offered it in support. It provides an entry to share a link to an article on the subject which I enjoyed:

Pardon the Interjection
    The Internet and the rise of awwa, meh, feh, and heh.

How the Internet is saving the interjection. - By Ben Yagoda - Slate Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;2281671;
    And back to Frasier... Yessss! I saw that his "dad" is in a play now I think, got good reviews, although can't recall if the overall play did. Or maybe it was a cable show. Something I knew I'd be unlikely to get to see.
    And back to Frasier...

I wouldn't mind seeing a play centered on Martin, the show wouldn't have been nearly as enjoyable without him. Hard imagining him without Eddie, though.

One of my local channels reruns Frasier episodes between one and two am, on different time tracks within the series. I normally have it on in another room and get up when what is shown is something which had pleased me in the past. Unfortunately, last night I heard a voice from what constitutes for me the low point of the series, when Daphne's brother (and mother) blew into town. I still enjoy most episodes, but I really didn't care much for Daphne's family, nor was I all too thrilled when Daphne gained all her weight. Not that I'm fixated on Daphne, Roz is the most attractive woman on that show in my view measured in various ways. Though I did like the woman Niles dumped to run away with Daphne at her planned marriage. She was attractive to me physically, but aside from that, she seemed so much more suited for Niles than Daphne is. I wanted to see those two get together, of course, but I wish they'd introduced Nile's latest wife earlier in the show.

VERY seldom have I've seen Niles turned on more by a woman than he was observing her physically, along with noting with increased arousal how fussy, organized and compusive she was. Her interests couldn't have been closer to Niles' to boot. What a waste.

I saw one instance just a few nights ago where Niles DID get far more turned on, and thats when he and Daphne got into a heated exchange of insults. Poor guy had trouble walking for a few minutes due to temporary blood displacement. Cute watching him desire to, almost compelled to lurch after Daphne before checking his forward progress with a helpful derisive comment from Frasier. Daphne's gotten Niles worked up repeatedly over the years to a point half out of his gourd. I often wondered whether he'd elevated her to a point beyond which he could actually share a relationship with were that door to finally open without someone else stepping in to interrupt it from occurring time and time again. I'm glad the show incorporated that all too realistic fear into the storyline eventually. On Both their parts, Daphne and Niles.

Going back to Marty, I liked him far more when he was likeable than when he wasn't, but the show was better for having shown both sides. I watch Frasier and am saddened for myself and other men at missed or blown opportunities connecting between Father and Son as one or the other might wish had occurred instead of what actually did.

I call and make a point to see my dad more than I might because of some of the heartwrenching scenes of unwanted and all but unbridgable gaps on shows like Frasier, so I thank it for the prompts.

Not too long ago, Marty was in hilarious over the top affable form when an old discarded loser lover of Daphne comes calling, and in order to fend him off, the grand deception is arraigned. I didn't see the entire episode, but Daphne apparently wanted nothing to do with him sight unseen, because he shows up and she is pretending to be Nile's wife. Roz shows up unexpectedly and Frasier heads her off and acquires her as his pretend wife.

Just in time, because Daphne's guy from the past may have been a ne'er do well, but he sure looked hunky doing it. The moment she came through the door, Roz's eye's acquired and locked on her targeted tasty treat, Daphne's ex friend. Knowing Roz she'd likely have mounted him right there on the table, being a firm believer in the 'there's no time like the present adage'.

Boy toy is looking good and then he has to go and offer up that he isn't a loser anymore, seeing as he woke up one morning and decided to follow Daphne's advice. What advice was that, she asks? 'Get up off your dead ass and get a job' is an approximation of his recall. Now he owns a chain of three stores.

And now it gets more interesting. Oh, going back to Martin, he's been regaling their visitor with tales from his days as an astronaut, even incorporating his bum leg into the tale. That Marty, he sure can spin a nice whopper of a tale. He ambles off to bed, obviously having gotten great pleasure from the evening.

Now Roz and Daphne and competing for studlies attention, rubbing up against him and shamelessly flirting like hussies in heat. Daphne wants Roz to back the hell off, Roz won't, noting that the deception existed because Daphne didn't want him. Now that he's successful, that's all changed.

So Roz and Daphne start cutting each others character to pieces in oblique manner, alternating in escalating manner in sharing little conversational tidbits with their guest such as Roz being a drunkard, and Roz' ace, Daphne being pregnant.

I love scenes like that, on this and other programs. Mr Dude almost literally runs for the door before one of them can trip him and have her way with him. He pauses to say they are both indescribably base creatures in his view, acting as shamelessly as they did with their husbands right there.

Daphne and Roz try to stop him from leaving, pleading that he doesn't understand, they aren't like that, and {hilarious kicker) this was all just a lie to deceive him, as if that truthful fact would make things better instead of worse.

He makes a comment about the lovable old astronaut and takes his leave.

Check out my reality! AZHotFlash's Avatar
    A very tiny bit of Frasier trivia .. but more like who is the most famous person you are related to....

My second cousin (my moms cousin) is David Lee one of the creators of Frasier.... I haven't seen him for almost 20 years .. and the last time I saw and spoke to him was for about a minute at my sisters wedding. And before that it had been years before the "unmentionalble family squabble" ...

My lasting memory was when he and my older brother scared the beejeebees out of me when we were watching the old Disney movie (headless horseman or pumpkin head .. can't remember) and they went outside and banged on the window .. they were babysitting me and I don't remember if they got into trouble... I had to be about 7 or 8 years old ....(So over 40 years ago) ... anyway .. we are related .. just don't relate.

I'm in the process of collecting all the DVD's .. Even if it wasn't my "cousin's" show .. I would have still loved it!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234