+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil

Does anybody watch this? I used to like him, but now I think his ego's on stereoids. I'm curious what others think.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I watch when he has the familes on. I don't agree with much he says, but I watch. I sort of like Dr. Phil but if I went on the show (I never would) and he started yelling at me like he does some of those folks, I'd walk out. He treats them like they are dense.

I appreciate and agree with his therapeutic approach to helping his guests - I know people love to mock him, but as long as people feel that he's helping them, that's OK with me - but I despise his bombastic, in-your-face confrontational style.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I used to really like him, but now I'm disturbed.
    He's extraordinarily self-promotional. Each ongoing series -- families in crisis, weight-loss challenge and relationship rescue -- seemed designed to promote his books.
    He even had a commercial tie-in with Extreme Makeover, in which one of the formerly obese guests got drastic cosmetic surgery. This seems contrary to his position that self-esteem comes from the inside out.
    His dealings with the families in crisis seem more and more exploitive, as if he's creating drama for ratings and in the process making already fragile relationships even worse.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I agree candor. It seems that the show is taking a turn I'm not liking. Don't come down on me for my opinion, cause we all have a right to one, okay? I have very little use for psychologists/psychiatrists. It is a very personal thing, and has caused a terrible situation in my life. Some of these people are not what they seem. Not to say the he isn't, but I tend to paint them with sort of a broad brush. I hope he is helpful to these people who are baring their souls for the world to see. I can not understand why anyone would do that.

JR.
    I think he's an ass, just a blowhard yelling common sense stuff to people. Does the yelling make what he says seem like genius speak?

His charisma and common sense advice is what draws people to his show. I watched an A&E biography on him and he is a genuine self-made person (like Oprah), who grew up dirt poor and was smart enough to get himself through school and set up a psychology practice, and eventually got into jury consulting which he was by all accounts brilliant at and made piles of money doing. It's actually how he hooked up with Oprah - he was one of the jury consultants on her legal team during her infamous lawsuit with the cattle ranchers.

He's a great performer, no doubt about it. But like I said, as long as people feel they're being helped, it's all good. As for all the airing of dirty laundry on TV...well, we could probably ask any participant on any talk or reality show why in the world they feel compelled to call that kind of attention to themselves...but that's another thread.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

I like Dr. Phil, only because he's funny and says what he means. As to whether he helps people, I have no idea.

Dr. Phil is Satan. Anyone can give advice for anything. He's just lucky he snagged that show first.

I will say that I like his down to earth demeanor. His one liners are hilarious, but I don't want him analyzing my situation.
    I feel that participating in a reality show, such as Survivor, or whatever else, is way different than inviting a stranger into your life and home to "help" solve your problems.
    I believe he also counseled Oprah during that trial but I could be (probably am) mistaken.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 38 1234567891011 ... LastLast