+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 38 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Dr. Phil

Re: Dr. Phil

I havne't watched Dr. Phil regularly since he started doing the celeb behaviour shows and had Rev. TD. Jakes (or whatever his name is), but I did see the previews of that woman and the way she disciplines and I knew there was no way I could watch that episode.

I've seen a couple of the Katherine, Alex, Marty & Erin episodes -and it disturbs me that the family is so totally f'ed up.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Leaning Forward cantstopwatchin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4108504;
    The first part of the show featured a mother of six, including adopted Russian twins. One of the twins was, by her account, a handful. We got to see her attempts at discipline and it was horrific to me.
    She sat the boy on the bathroom counter and poured hot sauce into his mouth when he was caught lying to her.
    She then made him strip down and take a cold shower, that was her husband's idea because that's how they build discipline in the military.
    I had to turn it off halfway through. I have no idea if the shilc is still in the home, but if he is, after seeing that I'd have to question why.
    Terrible.
    Fluff, I haven't watched that show in years but caught the preview just before the show started so I watched. I couldn't stop myself from crying when I saw/heard that little boy in the shower. It was HORRIBLE!! She even had Mrs. Dr. Phil yelling at her and crying.

To give the mom some credit (very little), she did ask for help and said she didn't want to be this way with him. Dr. Phil offered to have professionals come in to work with them both and to have him psychologically tested as well as tested for excessive metals in his system (something I guess is normal in children from Russian orphanages, which could impact his moods). But he warned her that if any of his crew or doctors caught her doing or acting the way she did in the video, he would be taken out of her home. I hope for his sake, she shapes up. No child should be put through that.
    "We must overcome the notion that we must be regular...it robs you of the chance to be extraordinary and leads you to the mediocre." - Uta Hagen

“I don’t want my pain erased! As wretched as it is, I need my pain… It makes me who I am. It makes me Grumpy.” - Grumpy, Once Upon a Time

I watched it this morning. I'm not one to get emotional over movies or TV but I confess I lost it when she put that poor little dude in the cold shower. I'm definitely not a fan of Robin McGraw but I thought her comment to the mother was very profound (never thought she was even capable of that kind of insight, frankly). Jesus, they don't even treat maximum-security prisoners like she treated that kid. The woman needs help, fast. She was so unaffected during the whole interview (and while "punishing" the 7-year-old), it was chilling. Same goes for her husband, who is equally culpable IMO.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by cantstopwatchin;4108666;
    Fluff, I haven't watched that show in years but caught the preview just before the show started so I watched. I couldn't stop myself from crying when I saw/heard that little boy in the shower. It was HORRIBLE!! She even had Mrs. Dr. Phil yelling at her and crying.

To give the mom some credit (very little), she did ask for help and said she didn't want to be this way with him. Dr. Phil offered to have professionals come in to work with them both and to have him psychologically tested as well as tested for excessive metals in his system (something I guess is normal in children from Russian orphanages, which could impact his moods). But he warned her that if any of his crew or doctors caught her doing or acting the way she did in the video, he would be taken out of her home. I hope for his sake, she shapes up. No child should be put through that.
    Thanks for the update. I was hoping he'd actually do something concrete to help, he had to after having her on as a guest.

Quote Originally Posted by anders332
    I've seen a couple of the Katherine, Alex, Marty & Erin episodes -and it disturbs me that the family is so totally f'ed.
    The Dr Phil Family episodes were the only ones I watched, until their story got worse with every subsequent visit. I felt Phil would pander to Alex and show her favouritism over Katherine, who in the early days was a fairly good kid.
    I did watch one episode a while back and he told Alex he would provide her with an attorney to help her regain custody of her children when it is clearly not in the best interests of them to live with her. That's when I gave up on him entirely. It's as if he wants the family to continue to be a momumental mess so he can get tv hours out of them.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I saw a preview of the abuse show and that was it ... I realize it is a reality but there was no way I could sit through that show. That poor child. Horrible. She is a beast. She looked so evil.

I will watch an update show if there is one and hope and pray that this woman has been helped and has changed her evil ways.
    KAREN

Quote Originally Posted by momrek06;4109110;
    I saw a preview of the abuse show and that was it ... I realize it is a reality but there was no way I could sit through that show. That poor child. Horrible. She is a beast. She looked so evil.

I will watch an update show if there is one and hope and pray that this woman has been helped and has changed her evil ways.
    I almost thought the previews of the show were more upsetting than the actual show. I couldn't understand why the child hardly responded to the hot sauce. Maybe he's built up a tolerance but I expected much worse, was cringing and had my finger on the remote to stop it if it got too much.
    I didn't even get the feeling that he was given hot sauce.
    The cold shower was painful to hear. Poor little guy, although it can't be easy to raise a difficult child. It's obvious he has been damaged prior to his adoption.
    What I didn't like was how Dr Phil made most of that segment about other people telling the mother off. It was like a public stoning. I'm definitely against her ways of discipline but it was uncomfortable to see all these other mothers tell her how awful she was. And she just sat there, not defensive, no excuses.....just sort of strange.

I don't often watch Dr Phil but seems like he has these shocking storylines and I find myself watching, like seeing a train wreak. But I'm always left unsatisfied with the follow-up to people's problems.

I sometimes watch Dr. Phil, but not too often. I flicked by it during the shower scene and I couldn't get it off my TV fast enough. Putting a child in a cold shower and berating him in a way that he couldn't understand was too much to bear. Did she ever understand and change her ways?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

She was open to how to do things differently, and was willing to accept help. How convenient that her husband, who was behind the cold showers as a form of military discipline, couldn't be there.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

They had a show with the people from Bridalplasty.
    I've not seen the Bridalplasty show, but it looks to be about a bunch of women competing for plastic surgery, etc. prior to their weddings. Seems that the winner also gets a big wedding out of the show.
    Dr. Phil had on Shanna Moaklar, who's been on DWTS before. She's had a lot of plastic surgery.
    The plastic surgeon who does the makeovers looks like he hasn't had any.
    Dr. Phil seemed to take a holier than thou stand. Surprising to me, as his own wife and new daughter in law have both had more surgery than imaginable.

I do think that shows like Bridalplasty do send out the wrong message.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4118245;
    They had a show with the people from Bridalplasty.
    I've not seen the Bridalplasty show, but it looks to be about a bunch of women competing for plastic surgery, etc. prior to their weddings. Seems that the winner also gets a big wedding out of the show.
    Dr. Phil had on Shanna Moaklar, who's been on DWTS before. She's had a lot of plastic surgery.
    The plastic surgeon who does the makeovers looks like he hasn't had any.
    Dr. Phil seemed to take a holier than thou stand. Surprising to me, as his own wife and new daughter in law have both had more surgery than imaginable.

I do think that shows like Bridalplasty do send out the wrong message.
    I agree, I think it does send out the wrong message but to the young and impressionable people....those who are still figuring out who they are and what's important in life.
    I watch because it's so out of my realm of imagination that I am fasinated and think of it like it's some kind of study of modern anthropology. As an older person, I often wonder if I'm clueless to what young people do nowdays. Over the years, I have noticed what a huge jump has occurred in the circuses that surround weddings. It's a little scary how being a bride has become "Queen for a Day," regardless of cost or any one else's feelings.

+ Reply to Thread