+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Dr. Phil

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: Dr. Phil

No offense to you, but that sounds totally ridiculous. I'd be questioning his sanity. He and my sister would make a dangerous couple.

Maybe I look at people and situations like I do because I have worked with so many factions (richest of the rich, poorest of the poor; crazy people who are able masquerade as sane if you're not paying VERY close attention, etc.) of the general public until I'm always looking for the scam/nonsense. Some say I'm cynical; I say I'm realistic.
    Last edited by prhoshay; 06-10-2009 at 11:47 AM.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

How many people get taken in every single day by the Mormon's or the Jehova Witnesses going door to door testifying? Many. It stands to reason then that a good sales person could sell scientology as well and testify their way into a new member. It's subtle. They say what you want to hear.

I have worked with extremely manipulative, sociopathic people that could sell freezers to Eskimos no problem. It takes a lot of effort for me as a professional to stay on top of their lies. Joe Average doesn't stand a chance. I've also worked with fairly sane people who, given the right script and circumstances could do the exact same thing. The general public is for hte most part a trustworthy group of people. The media, politicians, scammers, relgious groups, cultural movements everything depends on that fact to keep alive.

And even skeptics belong to their own little cult of disbelief. It is what it is.

Religious cults are like dating that bad boy boyfriend in school. They justify all the bad and say what you want to hear and give you teh answers you want. Jonestown was an extremely subtle movement from social change/equality to what it ended up being. Very smart people got involved in that as well.

I just have to say the couple on the show today who are in debt for over $600,000 how on earth does that happen?
    Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

They're sucked into that "spending cult"?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3494136 View Post
    They're sucked into that "spending cult"?
    Or maybe the cult of fiscal irresponsibility? The cult of I'm an idiot? The cult of they should never let me out of the house alone?

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3493066;
    No offense to you, but that sounds totally ridiculous. I'd be questioning his sanity. He and my sister would make a dangerous couple.

Maybe I look at people and situations like I do because I have worked with so many factions (richest of the rich, poorest of the poor; crazy people who are able masquerade as sane if you're not paying VERY close attention, etc.) of the general public until I'm always looking for the scam/nonsense. Some say I'm cynical; I say I'm realistic.
    I completely understand how ridiculous it all sounds. But just think about it, a mere short 20 years ago. This guy is in CA while his wife is in NY. There are no cell phones, emails, home computers, internet access like there is today. So when he was out there, he maybe called his wife every night to see how she and the kids were. That's basically how it was back then. So here she is, sitting at home in upstate NY, and her husband calls and starts going on and on about all this strange stuff. She doesn't have a computer to google what he is talking about. She doesn't know anyone who might know what is happening. She may never have heard of Scientology before all of this happened. All I know is she was completely freaked out, didn't know what was going on, and had no idea what to do next.

Now as I am writing this, I am thinking back to that period in time and how much has changed with communication, technology, etc. The world doesn't seem so big nowadays, with everything just a mouseclick away. And we have Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Kirstie Ally etc. to thank for enlightening us on Scientology.

But yeah, he fell for it. Today, he probably would not. But in that period of time, it really was a different world.

I haven't watched Dr Phil for years, but found myself tuning in to see the latest on the Dr Phil Family yesterday.
    I admit I may have missed some crucial explanation in the time that I haven't been watching, but can anyone tell why on earth Phil would be assisting Alex in trying to regain custody of her children?

Is there a valid reason for him doing this and by valid I mean, because she's the better parent, got her act together etc.?
    I really can't see why he'd think the best place for the children is with her, but then again I don't know why he felt it was appropriate to "reward" her bad behaviour in the past by giving her a vehicle.
    This family seems to go from bad to worse. He doesn't appear to have helped them at all in the years he's been working with him.
    They stand as giant beacons to his failure. I would have thought he'd want to forget all about them as he clearly isn't achieving anything with this family other than filling up air time. Perhaps that was his goal all along.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fanatic

I used to tape Dr. Phil occasionally when I was at work, but for some reason my old VCR recorder (yup, still got one) won't record on that particular channel any more. I just look at the recaps on his web site now.
    I don't understand either why Dr. Phil even bothers with this family. The more he tries to help the older girl, the more she takes advantage of the situation. There must be thousands of more worthy families out there who could benefit from some counseling. I assume you know she is now pregnant - for the third time. Yup, she has sure learned a lot in the last years, hasn't she? When in doubt, bring another innocent child into the world.

So has Erin left Marty yet? Alex on child #3 with an abuser - nice......whenever I'm even tempted to watch this filth I turn on Judge Alex and just moon over him instead.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Quote Originally Posted by anders332;3877609;
    So has Erin left Marty yet? Alex on child #3 with an abuser - nice......whenever I'm even tempted to watch this filth I turn on Judge Alex and just moon over him instead.

Ya, amazes me with so many families out there that could really use Dr. Phil's help ... this family is a mess and Dr. Phil should let them be and move on to helping a family that may really appreciate it.
    KAREN

+ Reply to Thread