+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 38 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Dr. Phil

Re: Dr. Phil

I can understand how people get caught up in it. When I was with my ex he was involved in a cult like fundamentalist sect of Christianity. I'm not a joiner either. But it's a very systematic way of breaking people down and selling a new version of the truth. You'll see a lot of people who seem like they are lost or who are desperate get involved in these things too because they offer the answers that people want to hear. You know? I watched my ex do it. He got secluded from the rest of society. Was spoon fed this crap day in and day out and bought into it. Doesn't matter how smart a person is or how much they want to join stuff. It's subtle and systematic.

That being said. All people in any culture are brain washed to some degree or another.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Then why do you think that everyone is not susceptible?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I think everyone is susceptible to one degree or another. Maybe not for the extremism that religious cults bring but society in itself is a cult just typically not a destructive. People inherently want to fit in and be a part of a "pack" and as such will follow pack rules. I'm not a joiner in the vast majority of what society is. However, my lack of joining makes me a part of a counter-culture/subculture of people which also has it's own set of rules.

You might not join a religious cult but it doesn't mean you are any less able to be brainwashed by repeated images, threats, norms, mores and so forth.

Interesting. I think I'm not into dogs because I don't have that "pack" mentality. I identify with the cat mentality, much more, with their aloofness and their independence. I've been that way since I was a little bitty kid; I have a sister who is my exact opposite. And she is highly suggestible, she's a joiner, and she really likes dogs! She doesn't "get" me either.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by NJ EJ;3490062;
    I'm sure Dr Phil would have explained it all to me if I had seen more of the show. Alas, I can only take about 15 minutes of him at a sitting.

No he did NOT explain how it happens--he was too busy salivating over the sexual details of what happens in cults.

Exrtremely disappointing--and really short-changed the audience too.

I've gone back to seriously disliking him.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by causingchaos;3490527;
    I can understand how people get caught up in it. When I was with my ex he was involved in a cult like fundamentalist sect of Christianity. I'm not a joiner either. But it's a very systematic way of breaking people down and selling a new version of the truth. You'll see a lot of people who seem like they are lost or who are desperate get involved in these things too because they offer the answers that people want to hear. You know? I watched my ex do it. He got secluded from the rest of society. Was spoon fed this crap day in and day out and bought into it. Doesn't matter how smart a person is or how much they want to join stuff. It's subtle and systematic.

That being said. All people in any culture are brain washed to some degree or another.

We had a family member get hooked in through their girlfriend who then became spouse.

You're especially correct that it doesn't matter how smart you are--they are very good at finding emotionally vulnerable people and roping them in.

Today, I noticed that there is a show on E! channel about entitled something like Cults, Religions, (and something else?). How convenient.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

i've always been fascinated by cults and why people join them too. when i was in high school i did my 40 page term paper on cults (this was back when we still used typewriters LOL). i stopped recording dr. phil, but i think i need to add it back to my dvr because he's been doing more topics that interest me lately. thankfully, our local CW affiliate re-airs the episode a few days later.

I watch him when I'm home but even he washes over the interesting topics and heads into sensationalism. I've studied cultures, and counter and sub-cultures along with cults. It's interesting to see how they all meld together. Religious cults tend to crop up more in times of economic distress.

I remember about 20 years ago, our vet and his wife appeared on the Sally Jesse Raphael show where the topic was cults.

It seems the vet and one of his partners at the animal hospital were out in LA for a conference. While they were out there, they were approached by two guys who asked if they would mind taking part in a survey. Long story short, it turned out that the surveyors were members of Scientology.

These two vets, Cornell grads no less!, were so taken in by that cult. The vet called his wife, who was 7 months pregnant with twins, and was going on and on about Scientology. She said if felt like her husband had been abducted by aliens. He was a totally different person. He feel for it hook, line, and sinker. She was so stressed out, because he wanted her to wire him tens of thousands of dollars from their bank account, that she almost lost the twins.

If there was anyone on this planet that I would say could never be taken in by a cult, it was this guy. And he came so close to actually joining them.

+ Reply to Thread