+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 38 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Dr. Phil

Re: Dr. Phil

What bugs me is that he truly does have insight into human behavior, and when he applies it to people who are having problems, he does a tremendous service. But I agree he's turning into a meglomaniac, not content to excel in his own niche, but also to try to elbow out others who own their niches. Remember a few seasons ago when he tried to be the leading diet guru? Then the leading relationship guru? Then the children's rights crusader? Now he's really running off the rails with politics because he adds nothing to the debate. We've got enough shouting heads on cable news, we don't need more on Dr. Phil's show.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What is your favorite Dr. Phil statement?

My first is: We don't join kids lives.. they join ours. And his ...."How's that workin' for ya???"

He makes me crazy, too, but he does have some things that really should make us stop and think.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I don't know if he uses this anymore, but there was something like "do you want to be right/win the argument or do you want to resolve this?"... I like that one. The one about children is a good one, too.

Amethyst YetiSports7 - Snowboard FreeRide Champion Amy Lee's Avatar

"You can't change what you don't acknowledge."
    Kiss me, ki-ki-kiss me
    Infect me with your love and Fill me with your poison...

That one's my favorite! I find myself using it, along with "he/she needs a soft place to fall."
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3287193;
    Is anybody watching this season? Dr. Phil seems to be suffering an identity crisis. He doesn't know if he's a TV psychologist or Geraldo Rivera or Nancy Grace. One minute he's trying to save people from a cult, the next he's trying to "get the facts" on the Caylee Anthony case. Now he's gotten into politics and the culture war, inviting extremists from either side to spout garbage (how 1980s Phil Donahue is that?). Yesterday he had on Ann Coulter and Alan Colmes to talk about Obama. No light, just heat.

Between the cynical pandering for ratings and his constant self promotion, I've lost all respect for the guy.
    I've pretty much stopped watching. So many things about his show now annoy me...Robin, the incessant schilling of his latest book, Robin, TD Jakes (one show was a 45-minute trailer for *his* new movie)...did I mention Robin?

I liked watching his show before because he had real people with interesting issues, and he talked more about them than he talked about himself. And I always thought that underneath the bluster, there was an actual desire to help. But these days...well, I immediately turn off Oprah if she's got celebrity guests - which is pretty much all the time - and I now turn off Phil for the same reason. Nancy Grace, ugh. Ann Coulter, double ugh.

ETA: But I still take every opportunity to say, "How's that workin' for ya?"
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;3287620;
    I don't know if he uses this anymore, but there was something like "do you want to be right/win the argument or do you want to resolve this?"... I like that one. The one about children is a good one, too.

I think it's something like, "Would you rather be right, or would you rather have peace?"
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay;3288010;
    I think it's something like, "Would you rather be right, or would you rather have peace?"
    I've heard him say "Would you rather be right, or be married?" (to the married folks)

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3287641;
    I've pretty much stopped watching. So many things about his show now annoy me...Robin, the incessant schilling of his latest book, Robin, TD Jakes (one show was a 45-minute trailer for *his* new movie)...did I mention Robin?

I liked watching his show before because he had real people with interesting issues, and he talked more about them than he talked about himself. And I always thought that underneath the bluster, there was an actual desire to help. But these days...well, I immediately turn off Oprah if she's got celebrity guests - which is pretty much all the time - and I now turn off Phil for the same reason. Nancy Grace, ugh. Ann Coulter, double ugh.

ETA: But I still take every opportunity to say, "How's that workin' for ya?"
    i used to be a fan. i liked him so much more when he dealt with ordinary people. since his fiasco with brittany and i believe his involvement with the octo mom is a fiasco (when it blows up in his face, he'll be back to saying his show is for entertainment purposes only.) i think he's lost his focus and i'm sorry for that. when he deals with regular people he takes reponsibility. when he deals with celebs he's a screw up. hey doc phil, it's not workin for ya!
    ur homely, jewish and rich. u get married. 5 yrs later, ur still homely and jewish but now ur divorced and broke - #itsjillzarinsfault- by little ol' me

I got super turned off this season with the octo mom and his begging for money for her.

+ Reply to Thread