+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 38 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Dr. Phil

Re: Dr. Phil

I actually watched and enjoyed yesterday's show (suffocating mothers vs. worst mom in the world)....I wouldn't send me 9 yo out into ANY city and let him navigate his own way home.....maybe 13-14, but 9 is way to young.....

On the other hand the helicopter moms are going to have nervous breakdowns when their children leave home.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I put my son on a city bus when he was about 11-12 years old to go somewhere simple. I felt it was about time for him to start to learn to get around a little. Well, he didn't get off the bus where he was supposed to (the bus driver didn't announce the stop, as he had been requested [had the driver been a woman, I think it would have been a different situation, but maybe not]) and ended up about 20 miles away at the end of the route line. Yeah, mom got a little panicky when he wasn't where he should have been within a reasonable amount of time. But I knew what to do...I called the dispatch center of the company, told them the situation and where he was going. They polled their buses until they found him. He rode the bus back into where he was supposed to be, and I intercepted the bus and got him off it; we drove around to where he went wrong and I pointed out what should have happened. He said, "When they asked if I was on the bus, I knew you were looking for me!" This experience instilled confidence in him about being able to handle a controlled, unexpected situation. I'm wondering if the NY mom would have been able to find her son that easily if he had not turned up. I'm not really patting myself on the back, but you have to think about situations that can arise (before they happen) and exactly what you will be doing about it.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

when I was nine a teenage babysitter took me shopping with her. She met up with friends and put me on a bus home with two bags of groceries. I had never been on a bus before and didn't know how to get off. We drove by my house, I saw it, but stayed on the bus til the end of the line. Instead of staying on the bus I got off with the groceries and tried to walk the twenty miles home. I kept dropping things I was so exhausted. About ten miles in I saw the truck my dad drove for work installing flooring. I knocked on the door of the house. The lady brought my dad out and he drove me home. I has dirty and crying and had no groceries left by this time. You can best believe that the teenage girl got in serious trouble for the way she looked after me. I am 57 now and that day is very vivid in my mind's eye.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

Quote Originally Posted by val123elephant;3208630;
    when I was nine a teenage babysitter took me shopping with her. She met up with friends and put me on a bus home with two bags of groceries. I had never been on a bus before and didn't know how to get off. We drove by my house, I saw it, but stayed on the bus til the end of the line. Instead of staying on the bus I got off with the groceries and tried to walk the twenty miles home. I kept dropping things I was so exhausted. About ten miles in I saw the truck my dad drove for work installing flooring. I knocked on the door of the house. The lady brought my dad out and he drove me home. I has dirty and crying and had no groceries left by this time. You can best believe that the teenage girl got in serious trouble for the way she looked after me. I am 57 now and that day is very vivid in my mind's eye.
    Val! That is such a sad story! You walked all that way with two bags of groceries? OH!!! I know you are all grown up now, but That is so sad!

My sister put me in those kinds of situations (not as severe as yours though). Once she took me out into the middle of a field full of corn when I was 4 or 5 years old (I grew up in the city, this was my grandparents farm) and had a wind up hopping frog that she said I could have. She put it in an empty grain elevator and told me to go in and get it. When I did she shut the door and ran back to the farm, about a mile away. I couldn't find the door to get out - it was pitch black and the entire inside was round, like a silo, and so was the door. I was crying and panicking and pushing around on the walls trying to find the door for a very long time. When I finally got out, I was in a field of corn twice my height. I was running and crying trying to find my way out for at least an hour. Finally I saw the top of my dad's truck up on the gravel road, since the road sat up higher on the land. I ran in that direction yelling. He heard me and stopped, and I was literally traumatized, crying, shaking. I remember him yelling and yelling at my sister and older cousins for doing that to me. "What kind of people are you? My GOD, I am ashamed of you all." I distinctly remember him yelling that. They were all quiet, staring at the floor. They were teenagers at that point. It's amazing how those experiences really scar you for the rest of your life. I can remember it like it was yesterday.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Back on topic....

I'm glad my mother allowed me just enough freedom to become confident and comfortable in my own skin. The only time I "hovered" was when my son was at a skating rink. I dropped in to see exactly what he was doing; he never saw me. I was comfortable when I saw that he was attached to a video game machine, and not some undesirable girls or unruly boys. The skating rink welcomed my meddling! To this day, he doesn't know that I did that.

Overprotectiveness and hovering make for neurotic and, sometimes, insecure kids, I think.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by onei0091;3208739;
    Val! That is such a sad story! You walked all that way with two bags of groceries? OH!!! I know you are all grown up now, but That is so sad!

My sister put me in those kinds of situations (not as severe as yours though). Once she took me out into the middle of a field full of corn when I was 4 or 5 years old (I grew up in the city, this was my grandparents farm) and had a wind up hopping frog that she said I could have. She put it in an empty grain elevator and told me to go in and get it. When I did she shut the door and ran back to the farm, about a mile away. I couldn't find the door to get out - it was pitch black and the entire inside was round, like a silo, and so was the door. I was crying and panicking and pushing around on the walls trying to find the door for a very long time. When I finally got out, I was in a field of corn twice my height. I was running and crying trying to find my way out for at least an hour. Finally I saw the top of my dad's truck up on the gravel road, since the road sat up higher on the land. I ran in that direction yelling. He heard me and stopped, and I was literally traumatized, crying, shaking. I remember him yelling and yelling at my sister and older cousins for doing that to me. "What kind of people are you? My GOD, I am ashamed of you all." I distinctly remember him yelling that. They were all quiet, staring at the floor. They were teenagers at that point. It's amazing how those experiences really scar you for the rest of your life. I can remember it like it was yesterday.
    Thank you for understanding. And I see you Really, really do. Just the way we can so vividly remember those incidences. All the physical and emotional feelings come rushing back so many years later. Sigh.
    So live that anyone speaking ill of you is branded a liar

Is anybody watching this season? Dr. Phil seems to be suffering an identity crisis. He doesn't know if he's a TV psychologist or Geraldo Rivera or Nancy Grace. One minute he's trying to save people from a cult, the next he's trying to "get the facts" on the Caylee Anthony case. Now he's gotten into politics and the culture war, inviting extremists from either side to spout garbage (how 1980s Phil Donahue is that?). Yesterday he had on Ann Coulter and Alan Colmes to talk about Obama. No light, just heat.

Between the cynical pandering for ratings and his constant self promotion, I've lost all respect for the guy.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

He believes his own press, so to speak. I'm thinking that his private practice failed because he has ZERO compassion, and he got a major opportunity by Oprah's sponsorship, and now his ego has gone hog wild like a bull in a pen full of cows.

Candor, you nailed it with "No light, just heat." I cannot remember the last time I watched his show, just because he seems to stir up a lot of negative emotion and laying blame, but not so much follow-through in positive or practical suggestions towards resolution and healing.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by candor;3287193;
    Is anybody watching this season? Dr. Phil seems to be suffering an identity crisis. He doesn't know if he's a TV psychologist or Geraldo Rivera or Nancy Grace. One minute he's trying to save people from a cult, the next he's trying to "get the facts" on the Caylee Anthony case. Now he's gotten into politics and the culture war, inviting extremists from either side to spout garbage (how 1980s Phil Donahue is that?). Yesterday he had on Ann Coulter and Alan Colmes to talk about Obama. No light, just heat.

Between the cynical pandering for ratings and his constant self promotion, I've lost all respect for the guy.
    I watched the last 30 mins of yesterdays show. I really like Alan Colmes. I like the way that he handles Ann Coulter. He disagrees with her and she still shows respect for him.
    When Ann Coulter went off about single moms Dr. Phil invited her back and then at the end of his show he announced to the effect "anyone raised by a single mom that has NOT become a stripper and would like to take on Ann Coulter" give us a call.
    Sounds like a Jerry Springer show in the making! lol

+ Reply to Thread