+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please help me find the name of this series....PLEASE!!!!

FORT Newbie

Please help me find the name of this series....PLEASE!!!!

I"m looking for an old american series probably around (1994-1998) ...(i moved to the CA in 1994)

This american series focused on three best friends and the story goes through their childhoods and into adulthoods

(the biggest hint i can come up with ) the opening musical theme of this series is "when a man loves a woman" by Percy

the two boys are:

Calvin, the character the story focuses on, he is short and has curly hair, and usually rides on this bicycle.
    Paul, he is like a sidekick in the series, he is skinny and wears a very greeky eye classes. He is also Calvin's best friend.

the other main character is a girl whom Calvin and Paul like: she ends up marrying Calvin at the last episode (90% sure). sorry, but i forgot her name...all i can remember is that she is taller than Calvin and wears a pair greeky eye classes like Paul.

The series focused on their daily lives probably....school, love lives, etc.

If anyone has any idea what is the name of this american series is ....please tell me ....through email or a reply to this thread....thanks....I'm really sorry for the lack of hints and details....but it was quite a long time ago...i have a hard time recalling the name of the characters

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    I'm pretty sure you're talking about the Wonder Years

that's what rings the biggest bell with me..

the main Character was Kevin

had a best friend named Paul who wore geeky glasses

I don't think its the Wonder Years (but does sound very similar to it). The opening theme song was from Joe Crocker (All I need is little help from my friends) or something along those lines. Also the girl 'Winnie' didn't marry Kevin in the final episode, she went off to Europe.
    I rather lurk than post.

"When A Man Loves a Woman" by Percy Sledge wasn't the theme song to Wonder Years, but it was played on the show (did an exhaustive and exhausting Google and Dogpile search).

I can't come up with any other series the song was featured on besides Bewitched and I believe an episode of Moonlighting.

It sounds like Wonder Years - Kevin (Calvin) had dark curly hair and was in love with his best friend - she was certainly taller than Kevin for most of the show, although I rarely saw her in glasses (did she ever wear them?). Kevin's best friend Paul was a skinny geeky nerd with dark-rimmed glasses.

The show followed the kids from pre-teen years up through I think graduation (if not a little farther).

And just to add in to the confusion, there was a similar show in the early to mid 90's starring Fred Savage's (Kevin) younger brother Ben that was also very Wonder Years-like called "Boy Meets World" where he (character's name is Cory) has this constant crush on a friend named Topanga and I think they did get married in the end. His best friend was normal and named Shawn, not a geeky guy with glasses though, and I'm not sure what the theme song of that was.

FORT Fogey
    I bet there were a number of series that were molded after the "Wonder Years" due to its success...just as "Friends" started a trend of sitcoms about 20/30 somethings and their lives and loves and the Cosby show set a trend for sitcoms dealing with minority families that didnt always have them living in the projects.

It may have been almost a complete copy, right down to the triangle of friends and might have been short lived enough that only a few people even recall it.

On a seperate note: I have this box set of music CD's called "The Wonder Years". Its great. A 5 disc set with all those great old songs that they featured on the show and also some bits of those wonderful bouncy acoustic guitar passages that they played as background music during the poigniant "coming of age" scenes. It also came with a nice booklet of photos and trivia about the show. I got it at Best Buy a few years ago and it was very resonably priced.

PS: I never knew that When a Man Loves a Woman was played on Bewitched! What a great piece of trivia. Do you know which episode or which context it was used? Id love to know.
    Last edited by Daddio; 05-06-2004 at 02:38 PM.

Didn't The Wonder Years use the Joe Cocker song?

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio

PS: I never knew that When a Man Loves a Woman was played on Bewitched! What a great piece of trivia. Do you know which episode or which context it was used? Id love to know.
    Isn't that totally bizarre? I would never have known it either if I hadn't come across it multiple times during my Google search. Apparently it was used during the second season in episodes 73 and 74. Here are TV Tome's synopsises (synopsii?) for those two eps (at TV Tome Bewitched Episode Guide):

"73. The Girl With the Golden Nose
    gs: Oliver McGowan (Mr. Waterhouse) Alice Backes (Betty) Owen McGiveney (Butler)

Darrin is refused a new account in McMann and Tate, but the next day, Larry gives Darrin the account. Darrin thinks that Samantha used magic to sway Larry's decision and tries to do everything to back out of it. Even the client, Mr. Waterhouse, likes Darrin's attitude and ability. Darrin feels that Samantha is behind all that has happened to him. To teach Darrin a lesson, Samantha uses magic to turn their house into an expensive mansion with servants to boot. Darrin tells Sam that he wants to earn things his own way, which is exactly what he has been doing all along.

b: 02-Jun-1966 pc: 3905 w: Sydney Zelinka & Paul Wayne d: R. Robert Rosenbaum

NOTE: This episode was filmed on April 6, 1966, the final black and white episode filmed."

and #74:

"74. Prodigy
    gs: Lennie Bremen (Cab Driver) Jack Weston (Louis)

In the final black and white episode, Samantha and Darrin meet Gladys' violinist brother Louis. Because of an embarrassing moment when he was a child (His pants fell down while playing), Louis is scarred for life and refuses to pick up another violin. Samantha wants him to play again, but he refuses when she signs him up to do a show for the hospital. He tries anything and everything to keep from playing a violin, even trying to leave town. Samantha shows him that everyone gets embarrassed at some part in their lives, but that doesn't mean that he should stop living and doing what he likes to do. Louis does a great job and ends up on TV. History does repeat itself when his pants fall down while playing the violin again!

b: 09-Jun-1966 pc: 3961 w: Fred Freeman & Lawrence J. Cohen d: Howard Morris

NOTE: This is the final black and white episode shown and is the last to feature Alice Pearce as Gladys. This episode was filmed on June 24, 1965, when Elizabeth Montgomery was five months pregnant! This explains why Pearce was featured on this episode three months after her death."

I never got into Bewitched until it ran in color with Darren #2, but I seriously wanted to be Samantha when I grew up.

I was thinking the Wonder Years. Although, looks like everyone else thinks that as well.
    --->IDIOTS MAKE LOUSY CRIMINALS<---

FORT Newbie
    ....it is not The Wonder Years because this series reigned from 1988-1993...i came to the CA in 1994.....therefore, i would had seen the "series" (i don't know the name)...around '97 or '98 (figured i would be able to understand english well by then)....

I just recalled some facts about the op of the series....in the op....i remember that there was a scene, through a view of a camera, of Calvin or Kevin playing a football or baseball with Paul and "winnie"(i think that was the girl's name).

I truely appreciate for the prompt responses despites my lack of details and hints......thank you.....

Quote Originally Posted by ngoclong
    ....it is not The Wonder Years because this series reigned from 1988-1993...i came to the CA in 1994.....therefore, i would had seen the "series" (i don't know the name)...around '97 or '98 (figured i would be able to understand english well by then)....

I just recalled some facts about the op of the series....in the op....i remember that there was a scene, through a view of a camera, of Calvin or Kevin playing a football or baseball with Paul and "winnie"(i think that was the girl's name).

I truely appreciate for the prompt responses despites my lack of details and hints......thank you.....
    I can't even fathom another series similar to the Wonder Years with characters named Kevin, Paul and Winnie that used the "view of a camcorder" opening that wasn't the Wonder Years. Even if it originally aired up to 1993, I'm sure it was already in syndication and airing again by 97 or 98, so you may have seen it that way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast