+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Office

Quote Originally Posted by mrcorkles
    I don't have BBC America.(although I do have 4 gardening channels :rolleyes )..and I loooooooove Mr.Bean..it's too bad his movies didn't do too well in the states.
    I think maybe his movies were abit TOO MUCH Mr. Bean, even for Mr. Bean fans and especially for people who didn't know Mr. Bean that much in the first place. I liked them, I thought they were O.K but I think Mr. Bean is a very intense show (like Fawlty Towers) & is best if consumed in smaller doses at a time lol .... =) (Altho I did love the Mr. Bean movie with "Whistler's mother" .... hilarious :-))
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Ah, yes, I forgot about Black Adder. I find that one particularly amusing since I was a history major in college. One of my professors actually got me into Black Adder when he showed some episodes in class once.

Education is cool sometimes.

A friend who teaches history shows her classes the last episode of Blackadder where they go over the top of a WW1 trench and the scene fades to a field of poppies. A very powerful and poignant end to the series.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Belfastgirl
    A friend who teaches history shows her classes the last episode of Blackadder where they go over the top of a WW1 trench and the scene fades to a field of poppies. A very powerful and poignant end to the series.
    That was the same one that we saw in class. It was a WW1 class and on the last day, the prof showed us that same Blackadder ep. Very interesting how they mixed humor with the horror of war and pulled it off rather well.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Just curious if any of you fellow Office fans caught "The office special" ? I watched it last night & it was hilarious as usual.... I think I need a copy of David Brent's music video....

I've been looking for it on the TiVo menu, but the only shows that came up were re-runs of the old series. Do you know what it's called?
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

I've tried watching this show a few times, and I just don't get it. Normally I'm a big fan of British comedy, but this one tends to go over my head. I might get it if I worked in an office.

The Girl With FORT-itude saltyj's Avatar
    I find The Office to be hilarious. I too need a copy of David's music video! Haha. Tim and Gareth and Dawn are all great.

I saw The Office Special! Wasn't it beautiful when Dawn finally dumped that arse (see, using British slang already!) Lee and went back and kissed Tim? Oh I almost died. Yeah, Gareth not getting Tim's comedy about the army stuff is always funny.

I love this show.
    Viva La Vie Boheme!

FORT Regular
    I watched The Office Special twice! I love that show, and have seen every episode. I do not work in an office, never have, but that show is so good on so many levels. I really like the "mockumentary" style of filmimg, with the cut to personal interview and addressing the camera frequently.

Sometimes it isn't even funny...sometimes it's just plain sad. Especially when they stop and develop David Brent's character. You can't help but like Tim, he's the hero, after all, and you have to hate Gareth Keenan. That guy is almost as bad as Brent.

I figured the series was over when Dawn left Lee for Tim, but thank God! and what an excellent ending!

I don't see how Americans would accept an American version of this show unless it was really Americanized, and then you would lose what makes the show so mental. I watched a lot of The Young Ones when I was younger, so I get the British humour. It's just such a perfect show as it is, I would hate to see a variation of it. You would have to have Ricky Gervais. I always wonder, how much of David Brent is really him?

Interesting note: Mackenzie Crook, who plays Gareth Keenan, was in Pirates of the Caribbean, looking considerably less corpse-like, even though he played one of the dead crew (the guy with the wooden eye.)

I cried when Dawn opened Tim's gift! And the fact that he used her sketch as a card was so sweet. "Never Give Up!"
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by candor
    I've been looking for it on the TiVo menu, but the only shows that came up were re-runs of the old series. Do you know what it's called?
    It was just called "The Office Special". It's like 3 hours long, it's 3 episodes and they usually run it back to back.

I absolutely loved how they wrapped up the series, it's hilarious and it kinda looks like David Brent may still have a decent chance of becoming a normal human being (maybe he just needed the right muse...:-))

I don't think an American version would be very funny, there are a lot of little comedy bits in British humor that doesn't translate well, and also a lot of people either don't get it or don't care for it or all of the above I know I'm a rare one around here who actually watches BBCA and I'm thrilled to find others with the same twisted sense of humor that enjoy shows like "The Office"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast