+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Office

I love Tim too, he's brilliant..the way he just expresses stuff by only staring at the camera LOL .... He seems like such a dull dry guy then he performs all those brilliant pranks on Gareth.... My favorite was when he hid Gareth's stapler inside the jello lol ...

(Brent: "Don't do that! EAT it out!!!" .... lol =))

(Or when he hid all his stuff, including his chair & his computer....)

Love this show...I really hope there will be a season 3, they left too many loose threads...
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Generally speaking, converting British humo(u)r to American humor doesn't work. They tried that with "Coupling" and it lasted about three episodes. Imagine if they did the same to "Monty Python" or "Red Dwarf". It would be a "total and unmitigated cock-up" as our friends across the pond would say.

I love BBC. As mrcorkles said, British humor doesn't bow to political correctness like the US networks do, and anything that makes fun of political correctness is cool with me. Another reason that Brit humo(u)r conversion doesn't work.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Well, I may be British but I've never found The Office funny. I've given it every chance but just don't get it.
    Not too many good British comedies at the minute. I love watching old repeats such as Only fools and horses, Porridge, Father Ted. Great new sketch show called Little Britain is a big hit here, but very near the knuckle humour which US networks probably couldn't show.

Something woudl be wrong if everyone living in the same country had the exact same sense of humor... :-) hehe. Not to mention it'd be kinda dull, wouldn't it

I watched Father Ted & I didn't care for it that much altho it was funny in some parts

I love Coupling, Keeping up Appearances, Absolutely Fabulous & The Office & I agree with above posters that none could ever work out in the US... we'll see how the office turns out, but I'm afraid that like "Coupling" did, it'll not be all that successful.
    It's a unique kind of series for people with a certain kind of humor, the mainstream of US sitcoms are "slap stick" or direct humor, not the subtle kind where you have to look for the funny parts "between the lines" sometimes.... :-)

You definately have to be somewhat of an intellectual to get some of British humo(u)r sometimes, with its many literary and historical references.

Anyway, I love Monty Python, Red Dwarf, and Keeping Up Appearances. I also semi-regularly watch Vicar of Dibley, Coupling, AbFab, and Father Ted (Father Jack cracks me up. "DRINK!")

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    It's a unique kind of series for people with a certain kind of humor, the mainstream of US sitcoms are "slap stick" or direct humor, not the subtle kind where you have to look for the funny parts "between the lines" sometimes.... :-)
    That's one of the reason why American comedies are failing so miserably right now. They are so slap sticky and punch-liney. For me, I can see the punch-lines coming a mile away,so it's not funny to me.

I loved Keeping Up Appearances (that's Bouquet..not Bucket) but I haven't seen it in a long time.

I loved Ab Fab too,but the old ones,not the new ones too much.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

BBCA runs Keeping up appearances a lot, but I'm actually not sure what nights they run it cause I just kinda "catch it whenever I see it on" type of thing hehe.

Monty Python rocks! Also "Fawlty Towers" is hilarious although it's exhausting to watch John Cleese as he's so extremely high strung.... lol Oh yes, I forgot "Black Adder" and then of course, "Mr. Bean" .... wish they'd show the short Mr. Bean episodes on BBCA, those are hilarious.

Ah, yes, I forgot about Black Adder. I find that one particularly amusing since I was a history major in college. One of my professors actually got me into Black Adder when he showed some episodes in class once.

Education is cool sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    BBCA runs Keeping up appearances a lot, but I'm actually not sure what nights they run it cause I just kinda "catch it whenever I see it on" type of thing hehe.

Monty Python rocks! Also "Fawlty Towers" is hilarious although it's exhausting to watch John Cleese as he's so extremely high strung.... lol Oh yes, I forgot "Black Adder" and then of course, "Mr. Bean" .... wish they'd show the short Mr. Bean episodes on BBCA, those are hilarious.
    I don't have BBC America.(although I do have 4 gardening channels :rolleyes )..and I loooooooove Mr.Bean..it's too bad his movies didn't do too well in the states.

Can't take a good day without a bad one
    Don't feel just to smile until I had one
    Where did I learn?
    I make a fuss about a little thing
    The rhyme is losing to the riddling

I've been hearing about this show such as it's supposed to be good,but apparently it was badly received during NBC's screenigs and was one of the lowest scored shows among their test audiences. I think Coupling was another Brit adapted NBC show that's popular across the pond but couldn't just couldn't make it here in the U.S

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast