+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Favorite show that immediately got cancelled

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    Hot damn, Jess is available again!!

Watch your back, Chris.

May the handsomer, more mature man win!.... oh crap, that leaves me out

Chris

This one might be an unpopular choice, or perhaps I was just nutso when I started to like it, but...there was a very short lived show on cbs I think, called, "Thanks" or "Thanksgiving" or something, and it was a sitcom about Pilgrims. From only about two years ago or so.

Yeah. It may have been lame. But I enjoyed it. It had it's moments. I've always enjoyed colonial times.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    This one might be an unpopular choice, or perhaps I was just nutso when I started to like it, but...there was a very short lived show on cbs I think, called, "Thanks" or "Thanksgiving" or something, and it was a sitcom about Pilgrims. From only about two years ago or so.

Yeah. It may have been lame. But I enjoyed it. It had it's moments. I've always enjoyed colonial times.
    Never saw it, but enjoy a trip down memory lane

Welcome to the Thanks guide at TV Tome.
    "Pilgrims James and Polly Winthrop have just survived their first Massachusetts winter. Now, along with their fellow settlers, they must decide whether or not to remain in the uncivilized New World and face yet another year of disease-and each other. But don't be fooled-it's Puritan fun. There's the man who dreams of building a new nation (though he can't even build a house); the bumbling village idiot; a girl so smart she may be burned at the stake; and a Grammy with an eye for strapping young men.

"James, an affable young Pilgrim father, who always sees the glass as half full, wants to stay and fulfill the hopes and dreams of building a new nation, although he can't even build a house. James must also contend with his best friend, Cotton, the bumbling village idiot who wreaks more havoc than a New World winter. James' lovely, strong-minded wife, Polly, wants to stand by her man, but her patience is tried by his unwavering optimism as well as the 50 percent mortality rate. Meanwhile, their three young children -- boy-crazy Abigail, so-smart-she-may-be-burned-at-the-stake Elizabeth, and slow-witted William -- are entertained by their Grammy, a wizened senior citizen who has quite the eye for strapping young men. Even though they live in an era centuries apart from today, the issues they face have remarkable and humorous similarities to modern life." (CBS press materials)

Much better than this makes it sound, Thanks had no real chance at making it on network TV in 1999: a vicious satire on American pieties and religious bigotry? The air of cheerfully goofy anachronism was quite winning, as were the scene-stealing performances by veteran Leachman and newcomer Centner. But, in August, no one was watching except me...

Show Information
    First Aired August 1999
    Last Aired September 1999
    Running Time 30 min
    Country United States
    Network CBS

Show Stars
    Amanda Barthel - Esther
    Jane Carr - Nurse Rebecca
    Amy Centner - Elizabeth Winthrop
    Erika Christensen - Abigail Winthrop
    Andrew Ducote - William Winthrop
    Tim Dutton - James Winthrop
    John Farley - Henry Tungsley
    John Fleck - Constable
    Kathryn Joosten - Mrs. Sturges
    Cloris Leachman - Grammy Winthrop
    Robert Machray - Magistrate
    Kirsten Nelson - Polly Winthrop
    Kristen Nelson - Pollie Winthrop
    Jim Rash - Cotton
    Glenn Shadix - Dr. Addington
    Elizabeth Anne Smith - Alice Tungsley
    Keith Szarabajka - Rev. Goodacre

Chris

Does anyone remeber back around Melrose-90210 time, a show called 2000 Malibu Road?It starred Drew Barrymore,Jennifer Beal(flashdance) and Lisa Hartman, The sixth ep and last had Jennifer Beal getting raped on a stairwell, hhhmmmmm...maybe that's why it was cancelled..too good for that time.Where was F/X back then. and I'm still mad about HAUNTED ON FOX, they pull shows way too early.

i miss do over. that show could make me laugh out loud. i was sad to see it go.

and i remember malibu road! watched every episode. probably b/c of my celeb crush on drew barrymore.

there's a new show coming on cbs on friday nights (ick tv day) called joan of arcadia that i'm SO looking forward to. i expect it will be on this list of "favorite shows that immediately got cancelled" within short order.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    May the handsomer, more mature man win!.... oh crap, that leaves me out

Chris
    I don't know... *wearing a beanie and mooning the camera* You might still be in the running...
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by Yellow Apple
    I don't know... *wearing a beanie and mooning the camera* You might still be in the running...
    I should have remembered to put sunscreen on my white ass!

Chris

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpayroll
    I should have remembered to put sunscreen on my white ass!

Chris
    I didn't have enough sunscreen (or hands) to put it on mine. Couldn't sit down for a week after that.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaRHR
    I also like "Under One Roof," UPN's family reality show, where five families competed for a house in Fiji. It used to be on Fridays after TAR reruns. They aired two episodes, then put it on hiatus. Then they brought it back on the air half a year later and showed the first two episodes and one new one, then cancelled it for good. I still don't know who won the house!
    I know!!! I am dying to know who won lol! I heard a few rumors that the Skofields won, but that was just a rumor so I don't really know.
    all that shimmers in this world is sure to fade

Quote Originally Posted by *~GymQT~*
    I know!!! I am dying to know who won lol! I heard a few rumors that the Skofields won, but that was just a rumor so I don't really know.

http://www.realitynewsonline.com/cgi...122.art&page=1

The Reality TV Hall of Shame: UPN and Its Treatment of 'Under One Roof'
    by Susan Schechter & David Bloomberg -- 08/13/2002

UPN has the distinction of being the first network inducted into the Reality TV Hall of Shame. They managed this by canceling Under One Roof not once, but twice. Yet they actually kept the scandal-plagued Manhunt earlier! Read on for details of the induction.

In the past few months, since the Hall of Shame feature started, RealityNewsOnline has had several inductees including reality show contestants and reality shows themselves. But never has a network made it to the hallowed corridors that make up the Hall of Shame.

Until now.

It is time to recognize UPN for this dubious honor.

Yes, it's hard to induct an entire network, but UPN is going in main for one reason -- canceling Under One Roof not once, but twice. Add to this the fact that they ran the entire series of Manhunt, even when the scandal hit that show. (And, yes, an induction is being scheduled for Manhunt itself.)

See, if UPN cancelled its show, that would be unworthy of a mention. Shows get cancelled all the time. But what UPN did was worse than that. First, they cancelled it after only two episodes due to poor ratings earlier in the year. People were left wondering who won the house. Ah, but then it came back in the summer. UPN re-aired the first two episodes. They aired the new third episode. And thenů it was replaced by some other programming. Did they issue a press statement saying the show had been yanked once again, after three episodes? No. Calls this writer made to their headquarters in Manhattan resulted in going from assistant to assistant to hang up. Nor did the email I sent to UPN, or to Viacom, their parent company, get a response. Nothing. Nada.

RealityNewsOnline has gotten dozens of e-mails from people who want to know what happened. Could UPN, not exactly a ratings giant, actually have taken off this show in the summer due to poor ratings? After only one new episode? Could they really be leaving us in the lurch yet again, with absolutely no hope of ever finding out what happened? And could they really be doing this after allowing Manhunt to remain on the air?!

Yes.

I am sorry. I know big companies have people who write Press Releases for a living. But nothing was done, nothing was in any of the wires that I saw. And if you can still find the show's website, there is no hint that it has been canceled.

It's like this show never was, and this is a shame. As reality shows go, this show was entertaining fluff. Take five families and stick them on an island in Fiji. Have them compete for a dream house. One of the families was definitely psycho, so you have plenty of potential for interesting conflict. But, no, UPN decided it was not to be.

Rumor on the street has it that the house has not been awarded to the winning family. It also seems that the families have been muzzled. They were quite willing to talk and then, when the show was cancelled, they suddenly stopped responding to e-mails and posting on message boards - this after one family member (or at least somebody claiming to be a family member) released the name of the winners.

So let's review: UPN broadcasts Manhunt last year and they cancel Under one Roof not once, but twice.

Is whatever rerun UPN has replaced Under One Roof with really getting better ratings? Does UPN realize that they have alienated their audience? We just want them to bring the show back so myself and the other viewers would know who won the dang house. What happened to the other families? Which families leave, which stay? Do the Skofields ever make up with the McRaes? Do the Hatmakers get out of the tree house?

ABC cancelled The Mole 2 during the Fall, but brought it back as a summer series. It didn't bring in stellar ratings at first, but it ended on a high note and they are actually considering having a third series.

So please, UPN, consider bringing the show back. There are a lot of fans who really do want to watch. And we'd even reconsider your place in the Hall of Shame.

Hope this helps, Chris

+ Reply to Thread