+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Favorite show that immediately got cancelled

I couldn't agree more about Family Guy. Greatest cartoon ever. I also loved Greg the Bunny, Andy Richter Controls the Universe, and Undeclared.

One that I didn't see mentioned here that I lived for: Popular (WB) Not only did they cancel it, but they cancelled with a cliffhanger!! Real jerks. :mad: I also remember being upset that the WB cancelled Savannah.. but i'd be hard pressed to remember anything about that show other than that Jamie Lunar was an evil mastermind.
    "You better shut your mouth when you're talkin' to me!"

What is it with TV execs? Why does every show have to be an instant overnight success? Most shows need time to grow and develope to become really good and get a good fan base. Too many shows never get the chance to show their full potential, before they are taken off air.

"Profit" starring Adrian Pasdar on FOX. It aired for only a few episodes in the 90s. He was this evil corporate guy that slept in a cardboard box (he was raised in it!). It was so weird it was good.

Jay
    I enjoyed watching "Hidden Hills", especially Paula Marshall.

Also, what happened to "Oliver Beene"?

The Lost Prophet CashMoneySoviet's Avatar
    Clone High, although it is only on hiatus, I was told it'd be back soon

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    This is from a long time ago....and I recall liking the show but it could have been bad for all I know...It was called, When Things Were Rotton. ...it was a take off of Robin Hood. I just remember it being funny and watching it the 6 or so times it was on religiously.
    I know you posted this last December and I'm a little late to the party, but wow you must be around my age (42) to have seen this show.

The show only ran from from Sept to Dec 1975 and only 13 episodes were made. Mel Brooks was the creator. But I remember watching the show for all of the 13 episodes, it was quite funny, but I guess it bombed.

A trivia note : Here are a couple more shows that made their debut in Sept 1975. See if you remember any of these.

1. Welcome Back Kotter (A fav of mine with a young John Travolta)
    2. Starsky & Hutch (They are making a movie right now starring Ben Stiller & Owen Wilson coming out Summer 2004)
    3. Baretta (Starring Robert Blake, who is accused of murdering his wife, 2 years ago)
    4. Barney Miller (One of the first, smart, situation comedies on the air)
    5. S.W.A.T. (Opens this weekend starring Samuel L. Jackson & Colin Farrell)

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by duckgirl
    Greg the Bunny and Andy Richter Controls the Universe!

Cept Andy Richter was saved! Greg was not.
    Yes 2 very funny comedies that should still be on the air. But their death sentence was not having a laugh track, so the people that didn't know what was funny, didn't know when to laugh, so they didn't think it was funny and they stopped watching it and the shows tanked in the ratings.

Thank God, Scrubs is still on the air!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by phat32
    My brother and I must have been the only two people in the world to follow Nowhere Man, love it and miss it after it was cancelled.

I admit being a fan of Nowhere Man is not unlike being a fan of Auto Man or Manimal. ("Hey, remember the 80's?")
    Another great show whose demise came too early. Thankfully the producers knew the end was coming and wrote the last episode with an ending in mind.

The problem with this show was #1, it was on UPN and on Monday nights against Monday Night Football. Who watched UPN in 1995, except for Star Trek : The Next Generation? And this show caused the viewer to have to think about what was happening. It didn't spell it all out for you. Think X:Files. It wasn't popular for the first few years until they moved it to Sunday nights and now it is a cult favorite, except for the last year!

Chris

I liked "Miracles" (ABC) from last season. I'm so sad to see it go, but I'm probably the only one that watched it. It was somewhat gorey, but had interesting concepts.

Here are some more shows that ended before they should have.

1. Battlestar Galitica 1978 - This became a cult show after being on for just one season.

2. The Greatest American Hero 1981 - Sure it was silly, but I enjoyed it.

3. Crime Story 1986 - I hope they put this out on DVD. Shows the mob first in Chicago (?), then in Las Vegas.

4. Sledgehammer! 1986 - Kind of in the Get Smart vein.

5. Duet 1987 - A romantic comedy on Fox, but they changed directions to try to pump up the ratings and it bombed!

6. Max Headroom 1987 - Maybe if this were to debut this year it would be a hit. It was about 16 years ahead of it's time.

7. Alien Nation 1989 - Also ahead of it's time. It might have more success if it were on now.

8. Twin Peaks 1990 - Just a little too quirky for it's time. Probably would do real good right about now.

9. New York Undercover 1994 - Went up against Seinfeld on Thursday nights. Never had a chance.

10. Strange Luck 1995 - Fridays right before the X-Files. Was never popular

11. Sliders 1996 - Even though this was off and on for a few years - Fox never gave it a chance and the final original episodes ended up on the SciFi channel. This was a great premise, but not always carried out to the fullest.

12. Millennium 1996 - Took the place of X-Files on Friday nights. Maybe just a little too dark for television at the time. But some of the episodes were terrific.

13. The Visitor 1997 - Friday nights again on Fox, right before Millennium. People just didn't understand the premise and the ratings were bad.

14. Seven Days 1998 - Also on UPN, so no one watched. It was on a few years, but lost it's creative edge after the first season. The writing became bad, so the episodes were bad.

15. Get Real 1999 - A personal favorite of mine and the first starring vehicle for Anne Hathaway (The Princess Diaries). But it was on Fox, end of story!

16. Stark Raving Mad 1999 - Had the Thursday night at 9:30 pm curse and didn't make it. Starred Tony Shalhoub (Monk) & Neil Patrick Harris (Doogie Howser, MD)

Hopefully these shows brought back some fond memories for some of you. Damn TV execs, who don't know quality when they see it.

Chris

+ Reply to Thread