+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 143 FirstFirst 12345678910111252102 ... LastLast

Thread: ER - Emergency Room

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by babs1003
    I would like to see more of Dr. Chen.
    I also like Dr. Chen "Deb". I dont know why the writers insist on jacking her around so much or so little as the case may be.

Remember Deb was a cast member early on and then left (I cant recall if Ming Na left or was written out). Her charecter was under-developed then, so why bring her back and still make her just a background body?

All we really know about Chen is that she is a good doctor, has a bit of a short fuse, comes from a traditional Chinese family background which has caused some strife and that she has a sweet tooth for good looking black men - one of which fathered a child which she gave up for adoption and another who seriously stained her best sweater and another she appeared to be making googlie eyes at last episode.

Another point I wanted to bring-up, and i LOVE this show - is that County General - which is a self-proclaimed "also ran" in the scheme of things - has always had these great doctors. They really need to write in at least one hack - M*A*S*H had Frank Burns, ER needs one too. Lets face it, after 10 years, a realistic presentation of a County Operated hospital is going to have at least a few hacks pass through the ER - medical students not withstanding.

They toyed a bit with Susan having patients drop dead on her left and right but that was passed off more as bad luck than bad medicine.

Another inconsistancy is Neela has been the first real charector of Middle-Eastern or Indian decent. Anyone who has been in any big city hospital will tell you that you are likely to encounter more than one in 10 years.
    That is not fair to people of that region. And even Neela is played up more as being from London and just happens to be of Indian decent.

Quote Originally Posted by Aptly_Named
    I've had enough of Abby too - after she totally blew her relationship with Carter (he dodged a bullet on that one), well actually, her whole relationship with Carter just seemed... strange.

I'm glad Noah's back this week.
    He was going to leave permanently after 9 years on the show to spend more itme with his family. Shooting schedule is rough. Seems JWP threw enough money at him and he got a contract for fewer shows. Good compromise I think.

Poor Carrie I felt horrible for her...I hope she gets her son back...wouldn't her name be on the birth certificate as well...ie. instead of the fathers name ??? Gallant & Neela had good chemistry..I was sorry to see him leave...

I missed most of last week's episode, except the heartbreaking scene where Carrie was trying to get her baby and the door was shut on her face. That just about did me in! What happened to Gallant, or rather how did he end up leaving? I saw the previous weeks show....was he caught in his lie? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Daddio
    and another who seriously stained her best sweater
    I think you are mis-remembering... Susan borrowed the sweater and she and Abby discovered a huge stain on the front of it... it turned out that it was club soda (which flouresced under the ALS they were using) I remember this vividly because Deb was so bent out of shape about it.
    Another point I wanted to bring-up, and i LOVE this show - is that County General - which is a self-proclaimed "also ran" in the scheme of things - has always had these great doctors. They really need to write in at least one hack - M*A*S*H had Frank Burns, ER needs one too.
    His name is Dr. Morse.. I think he's been threatened numerous times by much of the staff .... and the tank that drove through the ER Ambulance bay doors?? yep .. his fault, for poor care.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

TCW
    Quote Originally Posted by cadcmmngs
    I missed most of last week's episode,What happened to Gallant, or rather how did he end up leaving? I saw the previous weeks show....was he caught in his lie? Thanks!

Gallant chickened out and says he was "Called Up" by the Army. The impression left is that he called up the Army and volunteered to dodge the bullet regarding the death of a patient under his watch. When Carter pointed out that Gallant had already gotten in hot water by falsifying the report, Gallant apparently found himself with limited choices.

Discussion with the hospital lawyer and Susan that there wouldn't likely be a lawsuit didn't really phase him. Neela gave him a lecture about running away.

He'll either be back, or we'll find out he died in some horrible way in Iraq.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I think you are mis-remembering... Susan borrowed the sweater and she and Abby discovered a huge stain on the front of it... it turned out that it was club soda (which flouresced under the ALS they were using) I remember this vividly because Deb was so bent out of shape about it.

His name is Dr. Morse.. I think he's been threatened numerous times by much of the staff .... and the tank that drove through the ER Ambulance bay doors?? yep .. his fault, for poor care.
    Re: the sweater - I remember the part you note, but I also seem to recall a conversation between Deb and Pratt and her giving him greif for ruining her sweater. So I think the Club Soda thing was just a ruse to cover-up the 'Lewinsky Incident'.

re: Dr. Morse - he is whom I meant by "Medical students not withstanding" I probably should have clarified to read "medical students and several episode interns not withstanding".

LOL

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by TCW
    Gallant chickened out and says he was "Called Up" by the Army. The impression left is that he called up the Army and volunteered to dodge the bullet regarding the death of a patient under his watch. When Carter pointed out that Gallant had already gotten in hot water by falsifying the report, Gallant apparently found himself with limited choices.

Discussion with the hospital lawyer and Susan that there wouldn't likely be a lawsuit didn't really phase him. Neela gave him a lecture about running away.

He'll either be back, or we'll find out he died in some horrible way in Iraq.
    He is actually getting his own series - the actor not the charecter - so he may indeed be back if his new series tanks. The writers did a good job of leaving his exit as an open door. It's happened before, Susan and Deb both left the show only to return.

Re: the sweater - I remember the part you note, but I also seem to recall a conversation between Deb and Pratt and her giving him greif for ruining her sweater. So I think the Club Soda thing was just a ruse to cover-up the 'Lewinsky Incident'.

re: Dr. Morse - he is whom I meant by "Medical students not withstanding" I probably should have clarified to read "medical students and several episode interns not withstanding".

LOL
    I bow to your memory - I don't recall the exchange between Pratt and Deb.

re: Morse - he was bad enough.

My opinion is that the mistakes that are made are bad enough. They are spread out among the doctors and it seems to shoot hole in their 'god complexes' at just the right times. M*A*S*H was a black comedy and Burns really worked within the confines of that show. I don't think it would work in a drama. A 'hack' would just fuel the wide-spread skepticism regarding sound medical care in the US.
    Remember the old joke .. what do you call the med student that graduated last in his class?? Doctor!
    Some medical care is better than others but I don't think it would behoove the producers to use this as a regular plot device.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    I bow to your memory - I don't recall the exchange between Pratt and Deb.

re: Morse - he was bad enough.

My opinion is that the mistakes that are made are bad enough. They are spread out among the doctors and it seems to shoot hole in their 'god complexes' at just the right times. M*A*S*H was a black comedy and Burns really worked within the confines of that show. I don't think it would work in a drama. A 'hack' would just fuel the wide-spread skepticism regarding sound medical care in the US.
    Remember the old joke .. what do you call the med student that graduated last in his class?? Doctor!
    Some medical care is better than others but I don't think it would behoove the producers to use this as a regular plot device.
    Excellen points Dux...I also forgot about the Alan Alda and Don Cheadle charecters, both of whom had difficulties as doctors, not because they were hacks, but because of physical or mental problems.

And you are so correct that the regular doctors make errors as well - I just remembered the Carrie / Councilman's Boyfriend / STD / Anti-boitic / Allergy / death thing last season. So they do indeed ALL make their share of mistakes.

+ Reply to Thread