+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alias - "Legacy" 05/02

I was let down too. And now to have to wait for the final...is semi-climatic. I only discovered Alias about 6 episodes ago...but those shooting scenes made me laugh instead of making things scary/tense. I don't know if it was the editing or story line. It wasn't my favorite.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by misterhyper
    I had different problems with tonight's episode - for one thing, why was Toni Cummings chasing after Sark & Lauren with a machine gun. Considering she was a criminal seeking a deal with the CIA where did she even get the gun from? And why would she care about killing Sark & Lauren? Did I miss something?
    Maybe she got caught up in the moment. Honestly, I don't see her as being a truly bad guy, but just mercenary. She builds stuff for the right price. It's more of an amoral position to me.

And I'm sure it's been discussed here many times, but is it just me or does this show have a thing about all Asian men being bad guys? Considering how often they go into Asian countries, why have we not seen an Asian field agent? We've seen white, black, east Indian and Arabic field agents, but the CIA doesn't seem to have any Asian agents - lots of despicable Asians and evil henchmen of course, but not much else. Maybe they had one in the first season that I never saw, but I'd be surprised...
    I honestly don't think there is an anti-Asian bias. I think there were some in the Hong Kong safehouse at the beginning of this season, but I don't remember any. But then, there are few "red shirt" agents that come to mind anyway - black, white, indian, whatever. Just because we haven't seen one or remember one doesn't mean that there haven't been any.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

I've been a bad, bad girl Siryn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaky
    I was let down too. And now to have to wait for the final...is semi-climatic. I only discovered Alias about 6 episodes ago...but those shooting scenes made me laugh instead of making things scary/tense. I don't know if it was the editing or story line. It wasn't my favorite.
    Ok, so Lauren pulls out a rocket launcher. She has to aim and fire. She was a sitting duck waiting for a bullet spray to take her down. Instead Vaughn and Toni freeze like deer in the headlights and then run for cover. sigh.

This was so not my favorite episode. The whole thing just seemed hollow.
    I me some Marty Casey. Go Marty!

Quote Originally Posted by Siryn
    Maybe she got caught up in the moment. Honestly, I don't see her as being a truly bad guy, but just mercenary. She builds stuff for the right price. It's more of an amoral position to me.

I honestly don't think there is an anti-Asian bias. I think there were some in the Hong Kong safehouse at the beginning of this season, but I don't remember any. But then, there are few "red shirt" agents that come to mind anyway - black, white, indian, whatever. Just because we haven't seen one or remember one doesn't mean that there haven't been any.
    Yes, I think 'amoral' is a good description for Toni Cummings - I'm guess I'm just used to amoral people looking out for themselves first and foremost - and shooting it out with bad guys isn't something I would expect them to do unless there was something in it for them.

I don't think there's an *intentional* anti-Asian bias - I just think that subconsciously it doesn't seem unbalanced to the producers that the heroic and significant characters only seem to come in two colours - white or black. Yes there was an asian man in the safe house in Hong Kong, but he was about 800 years old and a very insignificant one-line character. On the other hand, there have been probably dozens of nameless asian henchmen dispatched over the series' run. Ironically, I'm not even Asian myself but tend to notice these things now after having some Chinese friends of mine point out a few articles from media columnists who have commented on the same phenomenon in other shows and movies too. But that's getting off topic - sorry.

Anyways like several other people on this thread mentioned, I similarly found it bizarre that these sharpshooting CIA agents (Vaughn) and assassins (Lauren) were suddenly unable to shoot each other at near point-blank range - and were using things like bushes to take cover behind (Vaughn).
    Last edited by misterhyper; 05-04-2004 at 02:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by misterhyper
    Anyways like several other people on this thread mentioned, I similarly found it bizarre that these sharpshooting CIA agents (Vaughn) and assassins (Lauren) were suddenly unable to shoot each other at near point-blank range - and were using things like bushes to take cover behind (Vaughn).
    Lots of things bend the rules of reality in this show, so I just see it as Situation Normal.

Sunday night's episode was predictable, and I don't care for Sloane's change of heart every other episode. Just go EVIL all the way, will you! He is so much better as an evil guy.

Even with all that, I still enjoyed it.

FORT Fogey
    I just want to say that I just realized that there was an Alias thread on this board. You all dont understand how much I love this show. I think its the best thing on tv. Great, great show. i dont understand why more people dont watch it....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12