+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Orbach may be leaving Law & Order

Orbach may be leaving Law & Order

From Zap2it
    LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - NBC's "Law & Order" was strong before Jerry Orbach and it will probably be strong without Jerry Orbach, but that doesn't mean that fans of the long-running series won't really miss Detective Lennie Briscoe when he's gone.

After 12 years on the beat, Orbach will reportedly depart Dick Wolf's venerable crime drama at the end of the season. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Orbach is preparing to join the ranks of George Dzundza, Paul Sorvino, Benjamin Bratt, Michael Moriarty, Chris Noth, Angie Harmon, Carey Lowell and Jill Hennessy in the rogue's gallery of lamented former "Law & Order" stars.

Of course, every time an "L&O" star leaves, another rises up to take their place. Although Orbach has the most seniority of any cast member, joining the club in 1992, S. Epatha Merkerson (member since 1993) and Sam Waterston (member since 1994) remain in place. Jesse L. Martin (member since 1999) and Elisabeth Rohm (member since 2001) are also still around under further notice.

While Orbach may be leaving the mothership, the possibility remains that his character might return for the recently announced fourth installment of the franchise, "Law & Order: Trial by Jury," which may incorporate familiar faces from several of the "L&O" shows.
    Orbach earned his only "Law & Order" Emmy nomination in 2000. The Broadway vet's other notable credits include "Dirty Dancing" and voice work on the animated "Beauty and the Beast."
    What will I do without Lennie and his one-liners?
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

Yeah, this really sucks. The article doesn't make it clear if this is his idea, and if so, what his reasons are. Maybe now that Sex & the City is done, Chris Noth could return.
    *hope hope*
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I know the show has survived recasts before, but IMO there are two cast members that I'm not sure the show would ever be the same without - Jerry Orbach and Sam Waterston. I can't even fathom the show without either of them, they practically embody L&O now.

It was hard when Chris Noth left, but by then, he'd gone through three partners and while the show was a hit, it wasn't the big huge mainstay that it became after he left. I love the Ed Green character, but he doesn't do the wiseass seen-it-all cop that Lennie does so well.

I'm so bummed. (but the thought of Noth returning - shivers, lol)

Jay
    I'll definitely miss Lennie's signature one-liner before the cast introductions and first commercial break.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Yeah, this really sucks. The article doesn't make it clear if this is his idea, and if so, what his reasons are. Maybe now that Sex & the City is done, Chris Noth could return.
    *hope hope*
    Oh...we could only hope...

This is really disappointing news...Lennie has been my favourite since Logan departed.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

i wonder who will replace him?. i do hope that it is NOT Chris Noth. i didn't like the character and i don't really like him

The show always seems to pull through though... I'll miss Lenny though! I think the best years were with Orbach and Noth... I didn't like Benjamin Bratt that much... They're going to have to cast the hell out of that part though... Maybe they'll move someone over from one of the spin offs?
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

As Law & Order progressed, and other regular cast members left, the series became more and more about Briscoe just as NYPD Blue became more and more about Sipowicz as the others departed that show.

Even though I haven't watched as regularly during the past few seasons, I'm still going to miss Briscoe, but, yes, the show always pulls through in the end with the help of good, new casting.
    Last edited by phat32; 04-04-2004 at 09:53 PM.
    "...Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things donít always soften the bad things, but...the bad things donít always spoil the good things." - The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by HomerRules
    I'll definitely miss Lennie's signature one-liner before the cast introductions and first commercial break.
    I agree, though we're 4 seasons behind so i won't be noticing it for years! My favourite character is Abbie, i can't imagine it without her. I wasn't a fan of Elizabeth Rohm on Angel, what's her character like on Law & Order?

I liked Elizabeth Rohn on Angel, too, but I LOVED Angie Harmon on L&O - she was my favorite ADA. I'm still not fully invested in Elizabeth on Law & Order yet, but she's grown on me. She's really gotten much better. I can't imagine the show without Jerry Orbach. I hope he doesn't leave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast