+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Law and Order

Quote Originally Posted by John
    NBC has just announced that Dennis Farina will be joining the cast of the original "Law & Order".
    Will he be replacing Jerry Orbach? I was hoping "Munch" would make a transfer to Law and Order from SVU. Awww....I like Brisco and it won't be the same without him.

OK, I have recently begun watching this under duress. I watch Law and Order(s), boyfriend watches my reality stuff.
    But sheesh I really struggle with these shows. My three beefs:
    They're unbelievable. The suspects are always rude, flippant, arrogant. I don't know, if I were being interviewed by a cop about a homicide I'd be shaking in my boots.
    They're talky. Pretty much all of the story is told, rather than shown. Compare this with The Sopranos, where a lift of Tony's eyebrows says volumes.
    They're formulaic. The cops figure out the crime and then explain to the suspect how he/she did it. And as they're talking (of course), the music is getting louder and more intense.
    It's like a freakin' paint-by-numbers show. Of course I can't complain to boyfriend because he's like, "Oh yeah, and The Bachelor isn't unbelievable, talky and formulaic." Zinnngggg.
    "If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by John
    NBC has just announced that Dennis Farina will be joining the cast of the original "Law & Order".
    Yeah, Farina is Jerry Orbach's replacement on the original L&O. Here is part of the article on E! Online:

------
    Executive producer Dick Wolf says he expects Farina to breathe some new life into the long-running show. "I've known Dennis for 20 years, and he's a terrific actor, a consummate professional and a truly nice guy," says Wolf. Farina's character has still to be hashed out, but Wolf tells TV Guide that he envisions the 60-year-old actor playing an "Italian cop who's an iconoclast and a confirmed bachelor." Adds Farina: "He's going to be a little out of the ordinary."
    --------

The article also states Orbach will be moving to the new L&O show: Trial By Jury. (I know, that part is old news to everyone here). But it also says Trial By Jury is not on the Fall schedule; the show will be a mid-season replacement.

caught by the window MasterOfPuppets's Avatar
    In a van down by the river!!!... watching the Canucks on my 3" TV
    SVU is my favorite, I never miss it on tuesdays

I watch L&O when nothing's on

I'd rather poke my eye with a scalding piece of metal than watch CI

I'm an SVU fan, too, and have seen pretty much every episode so far. I've only seen CI a handful of times and never really enjoyed it. The main CI detective, I understand, he's supposed to be an eccentric genius, but he's not very likeable and the rest of the show is dull. I stick to SVU and the original.

candor, I wish I could sufficiently explain why Law & Order is so electric. I understand that some people just don't get it, and that's fine. (You probably have to be a bit morbid to enjoy SVU.) Addressing one of your points... crime itself follows patterns, police work follows procedures, and law is all about rules, so it makes sense to me that episodes are slightly "formulaic." The formula is the base, but there are always new issues being faced. (And in how many shows/movies does the music not swell at the climax?)

Many of the episodes are compelling emotionally/psychologically. I love B.D. Wong. And I love seeing Eliot and Olivia kick butt.

I also watch Without a Trace, CSI, and CSI Miami on occasion, but I don't think any of them are as good as Law & Order.

If I am not mistaken, Farina is a real ex-cop too. I always found that funny when he plays a mobster.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Quote Originally Posted by Ilikai
    If I am not mistaken, Farina is a real ex-cop too. I always found that funny when he plays a mobster.
    I was curious about this and checked on IMDB.com which sometimes has trivia on show biz folks. Sure enough, it says Farina used to be a cop in Chicago. It also says that he once claimed in an interview that as a Chicago cop he was such a bad shot, he earned the nickname "The Great Wounder."

I love L&O (original) - although I really miss Chris Noth and Angie Harmon (my favorite ADA to date). And I also really like SVU. I watch, but can't get into, CI. There's something so incredibly irritating about the Goren character. I get that we're all supposed to be in awe of his incredible abilities, but this is the only L&O where they don't really have an ensemble. It's all Goren, all the time. He's too brilliant, too clever, too - too! I'm anxious to see how the new, mid-season replacement one holds up. So Jerry Orbach/Lenny will be a DA (or did I hear that incorrectly?).

Goren started out being a kind of a modern day Columbo, and I liked him the first season.

However, they went way over the top with the running theme of the Australian woman who torments him, etc... It is just pathetic now. Plus, on half the shows ADA Carver wants his badge, and on others he does whatever Goren wants.

It had a lot of potential as CI approaches the stories differently from the other L&O methods, but it has really disappointed this season.
    "George Oscar Bluth II, aka GOB, featured magician in the best selling videotape, "Girls With Low Self Esteem" invites you to enter his world.
    -- Arrested Development, Season III

After watching last night's L&O finale, Lenny did say good bye but left a little opener. He said he might do some "freelancing detective work for a DA." I think it'll be a small part in the upcoming new installment series.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast