+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Deadwood (HBO)

Deadwood (HBO, premieres 03/21)

In an age of plunder and greed, the richest gold strike in American History draws a throng of restless misfits to an outlaw settlement where everything and everyone has a price.

Welcome to Deadwood...a hell of a place to make your fortune.

From Executive Producer David Milch ("NYPD Blue") comes DEADWOOD, a new drama series that focuses on the birth of an American frontier town and the ruthless power struggle that exists in its lawless boundaries.

The story begins two weeks after Custer's defeat at Little Big Horn, combining fictional and real-life characters and events in an epic morality tale. Located in the Black Hills Indian Cession, the "town" of Deadwood is an illegal settlement, a violent and uncivilized outpost that attracts a colorful array of characters looking to get rich from outlaws and entrepreneurs to ex-soldiers and racketeers, Chinese laborers, prostitutes, city dudes and gunfighters.

Among the settlers are ex-lawman Seth Bullock, played by Timothy Olyphant ("Go," "Gone in 60 Seconds"), the legendary gunfighter and scout Wild Bill Hickok, played by Keith Carradine ("Nashville," "Pretty Baby") and Machiavellian saloon owner Al Swearengen, played by Ian McShane ("Sexy Beast," "War and Remembrance").

With its unflinching realism, adult themes and wickedly inventive storylines, DEADWOOD is an intense, character-driven drama that takes elements of the traditional western and turns them upside down. "I had always wanted to do a series set in some period where it was legitimate to explore the genesis of law," Milch says. "What interested me about Deadwood is that it was an outlaw settlement, on Indian territory, so the American law didn't apply there were no laws at all."

Milch, DEADWOOD's creator and head writer in addition to its executive producer, is a onetime Yale lecturer whose TV credits include such series as "NYPD Blue" (he was co-creator) and "Hill Street Blues." Walter Hill ("48 HRS.", "The Long Riders") directed DEADWOOD's pilot episode. Gregg Fienberg ("Gods and Monsters") is co-executive producer. Director/producer Davis Guggenheim ("Alias" and "24") and Scott Stephens ("The Mind of the Married Man") serving as producer.

Premieres March 21 at 10pm Eastern.

Anyone watching this? I'm planning to.

So, am I the only one here who's hopelessly hooked on this show?

I've watched every episode, and loved them all. My wife hates it because she says they didn't use some of the words and phrases back then. It's really interesting to me.

Great characters, excellent plotlines, and makes me glad I didn't live back then.

FORT Newbie

Deadwood pottymouth language

Why the pottymouth language on 'Deadwood'?
    Did they talk like that back in covered wagon daze?
    i find it hard to believe, personally.

My husband and I are hooked on it as well. We never miss it and sometimes even watch the same episode again during the week. I do not know about the phrases and language used back then but doing a little research the history of some of the main characters appears to be correct.

I'll put this stuff in spoiler text in case someone missed last night's episode:

Click to see Spoiler:
    I'm a little bummed that Calamity Jane is leaving town. I thought she and Charlie Utter maybe had a little thing for each other, and would end up together.

I like the character that Powers Boothe plays, and I'm glad they added him to the show. I can't stand that little weasel EB Farnham, though. But now he's
    Click to see Spoiler:
    mayor of the town!

John, I'll chat with you about "Deadwood"....unfortunatel y for you I haven't seen the last 4 episodes since I have been dealing with family emergencies. I have them Tivo'd though, and I will hopefully be caught up soon.

I like the Bullock character, and I also like how they are dramatizing what actually happened. I knew Bill took a shot in the back while playing poker. I thought they might have a couple more episodes with him where he shoots an aggressor before he is able to shoot Bill in the back.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

I missed the damn episode where Hickock was shot. I'm so mad at myself for that. It's the only one I've missed.

I love this show. I have only seen the first 2 episodes. I am trying to get caught up.

I was suprised to read that Wild Bill gets shot. He is a bad ass in the show and I didn't think he could be taken out. Who was behind it? Was it the guy who owns the Gem Saloon? I can't stand that guy..
    There's no such thing as making too much money or taking too many risks.

He gets shot by the guy he plays poker with.

Quote Originally Posted by RSOkinawa
    I was suprised to read that Wild Bill gets shot. He is a bad ass in the show and I didn't think he could be taken out. Who was behind it? Was it the guy who owns the Gem Saloon? I can't stand that guy..
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    He gets shot by the guy he plays poker with.
    That's the great thing about this show, RSO...it is more or less keeping with historical fact. Wild Bill Hickock was indeed shot in the back kinda sorta randomly while he was playing poker. I believe that to this day, there is no solid motive for his shooting. It was the Old West, where lawlessness ruled.

I still haven't gotten caught up, though. I think I am 5 episodes behind. Thank goodness for 120 gig hardrive DVRs.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast