+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Petersen Going MIA on "CSI"?

Petersen Going MIA on "CSI"?

Petersen Going MIA on "CSI"?

Wed Feb 18, 8:45 PM ET
    By Kimberly Potts

CSI star William Petersen is mad as hell, and he's not going to take it any longer! Well, not any longer than he's contractually obligated to do so, that is.

But just how long he is, in fact, contractually obligated to do so seems to be a topic for debate, as the Emmy-, Golden Globe- and Screen Actors Guild-nominated star kicked off a brouhaha with a Playboy magazine interview that suggests his days on the hit CBS drama are numbered.

"We're just finishing our 81st episode. That's a lot. I'll do CSI until I legally don't have to do it anymore, which I think is at the end of next year. Right now, that's as long as I can foresee doing this show," Petersen says in Playboy's March issue.

The source of his rush to ankle the show? Ostensibly, it's his long-standing beef with CBS' decision to carve out its own little Law & Order-ish series dynasty by continuing to spin off CSI.

Though, given the fact that CBS says Petersen is actually contracted to do the show through the 2006-07 season, more cynical boob tube fans might wonder if the star is trying to pull down some more small-screen scratch with his comments about leaving the hit show, la the not too distant effort by Everybody Loves Raymond star Brad Garrett.

Following a big pay hike in fall 2002, Petersen currently makes about $5.75 million a season for producing and acting in CSI.

The Thursday night series, which is averaging 26.3 million viewers a week and is the highest rated drama on television this season (third overall, behind Fox's weekly duo of American Idol episodes), has already begat CSI: Miami, which, despite some critical drubbing, has managed to average 17.7 million viewers each and is the ninth most watched series on TV this season.

"And they're going to do another CSI next year," Petersen tells Playboy, referring to the CSI: New York spinoff CBS has in development for fall 2004. "Hey, they can do the show five nights a week with five different casts, but as long as they don't have my guys, they're not going to do it as well.

"CSI: Miami doesn't have our chemistry," sniffs Petersen, who landed at number eight on a recent Harris poll of American's favorite TV personalities. "Taking a blueprint of something that was organically conceived and trying to synthesize it is the difference between organic chicken and chicken jerky. There's nothing I can do about that. That's Viacom, big American capitalism and ratings points."

Actually, Petersen did suggest something he'd like to do to take a swipe at the men responsible for the spin-off mania when asked by Playboy interviewer Stephen Rebello who he'd most like to have as "guest corpses" on CSI.

"The big three would be [CBS chairman] Les Moonves, [Alliance Atlantis Entertainment Group CEO] Peter Sussman and [CSI producer] Jerry Bruckheimer, all of whom are getting filthy rich off this show," says Petersen, who, while a producer on CSI, apparently does not get a cut from the spinoffs.

"They should spend a day on the slab while we poke and prod them. You'd have to ask their wives if they'd be convincing as stiffs."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...en_tv_eo/13526

Quote Originally Posted by John
    Though, given the fact that CBS says Petersen is actually contracted to do the show through the 2006-07 season, more cynical boob tube fans might wonder if the star is trying to pull down some more small-screen scratch with his comments about leaving the hit show, la the not too distant effort by Everybody Loves Raymond star Brad Garrett.

Obviously Ms. Potts hasn't done her research or else she would know that Big Bill has been pissed off at CBS et.al. ever since Miami spinoff was developed. It's not about the money, its about doing cheap spinoffs of successfull shows and not trying to put 21 hours a week of ORIGINAL programing on the air.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

I thought the same thing, Ili. He's been mad for at least 2 seasons now, and has said as much several times. It's not about the money, it's about dilution of a franchise.

he must really be angry, I would forget everything soon as Marg walks on the set...major
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

JR.
    You got that right Ili

Well while you "boys" get your tongues back in your mouth, may I interject, Peterson himself ain't half bad.

Jay
    Sorry, Ilikai and JR, but Marg belongs to me...

Yeah, I have a weak spot for Will
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

+ Reply to Thread