+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ABC To End "NYPD Blue" After Next Season

ABC To End "NYPD Blue" After Next Season

From the CNN website. The article can also be found here.

ABC to end 'NYPD Blue' next season
    Monday, February 9, 2004 Posted: 12:51 PM EST (1751 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Goodbye Sipowicz.

ABC is expected to announce Monday that it has completed a deal to renew "NYPD Blue" for a 12th and final season.

ABC is said to be planning a big sendoff for the venerable cop drama during the 2004-05 season, recognizing the show's place in primetime history as a trailblazer and Nielsen stalwart for the network, despite ABC's ups and downs in recent seasons.

In addition to deciding the fate of "Blue," ABC has given a pilot order to "NYPD Blue" producer Steven Bochco Prods. and Paramount Network TV for a drama, "Blind Justice," with Ron Eldard attached to star, sources said.

The fade-out of "Blue" next season will mark the end of an era at ABC. Co-created by Bochco and David Milch, "Blue" was controversial from the start in its creators' insistence on pushing the envelope with grittier language than the norm of the day and even brief nudity.

"Blue's" arrival in September 1993 after more than two years in development was greeted by advertiser and affiliate boycotts. But the show was a Nielsen success from the outset, and its strong demographic ratings eventually won over virtually all of ABC's affiliates.

The show's ensemble cast survived numerous changes -- most notably David Caruso's hasty exit after the first season and the entry of Jimmy Smits -- thanks to the grounding force of four-time Emmy winner Dennis Franz as the long-suffering Detective Andy Sipowicz.

"Blue" set an Emmy record in 1994 by raking in the most nominations of any first-year series, with 26 bids (which topped the previous high of 21 set 14 years before by Bochco's own "Hill Street Blues").

"Blind Justice," meanwhile, revolves around a police officer who is blinded on the job, sources said. Eldard, an alumnus of NBC's "ER," is onscreen in the feature "House of Sand and Fog."

The official ABC press release about this:

NYPD BLUE IS RENEWED FOR A 12TH, AND FINAL, SEASON

ABC today announced that it has renewed its award-winning, critically acclaimed drama, "NYPD Blue," for a 12th and final season. In making the announcement, Susan Lyne, president, ABC Entertainment, said: "There are very few dramas that are good enough to deserve a 12th season, but 'NYPD Blue' set the benchmark for quality programming when it launched back in 1993. We were proud to be its network home then, and we couldn't be happier knowing that Steven, Dennis and the rest of the talented cast and crew will continue to make us proud for a 12th year."

Steven Bochco, creator and executive producer of "NYPD Blue," added: "We are all in agreement that the 12th season should be thought of as our final season and creatively energize ourselves towards that end. Should we do brilliantly, and circumstances change, we would be delighted to revisit the possibility of life beyond 12 seasons. However, to go out after 12 strong years is great, as it's better to go out too early rather than overstay our welcome."

"NYPD Blue" stars Dennis Franz as Andy Sipowicz, Mark-Paul Gosselaar as John Clark, Gordon Clapp as Greg Medavoy, Bill Brochtrup as John Irvin, Henry Simmons as Baldwin Jones, Charlotte Ross as Connie McDowell, Garcelle Beauvais-Nilon as Valerie Haywood, Esai Morales as Tony Rodriguez, Jacqueline Obradors as Rita Ortiz and Austin Majors as Theo Sipowicz.

"NYPD Blue" is a Steven Bochco production, co-created by Steven Bochco and David Milch. Bochco also serves as executive producer with Mark Tinker and former New York City police detective Bill Clark.

"NYPD Blue" is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format, with 5.1 channel surround sound.

Well, 12 years is a pretty good run. I'm looking forward to the return of NYPD tomorrow night.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

I've watched it for the past several years and except for Monday Night Football it is the only show I now watch on ABC. This winter hiatus was pretty long and I'm not even sure I remember what was going on, but I look forward to seeing the 15th Precinct in action again.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread