+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Third Watch - 01/09 - "A Call For Help"

01/09 - "A Call For Help"

THIRD WATCH
    A CALL FOR HELP
    01-09-2004 10:00PM

UNIDENTIFIED CALLER TIPS POLICE TO BLOODY TRAIL LEADING TO SUSPICIOUS YOUNG MAN IN SERIES LANDMARK 100TH EPISODE -- An anonymous caller informs the police that someone is screaming for help but when mismatched Bosco (Jason Wiles) and Monroe (Nia Long) arrive in an alley, they find a strange and bleeding young man (guest star Warren Blosjo) who only wants to go home -- but a trail of blood nearby and the suspect's evolving story only annoys the hotheaded Bosco. Soon, paramedics and other police arrive, including Sergeant Cruz (Tia Texada), who tries to take charge only to see cops and paramedics squabbling with each other as the investigation widens into a murder probe. Michael Beach, Coby Bell, Kim Raver, Anthony Ruivivar and Skipp Sudduth also star..

Whoa, sounds like this's gonna be a fun one.

I'll hate to watch the "squabbling," however. I just know I'll be screaming at the telelvision, telling those people to stop bickering and work together.

I'm somewhat surprised at the use of the term "mismatched" when considering Bosco and Munroe. I thought they were hitting it off quite well in the previous episode. Guess it's another'f those notorious plotholes . . .
    "Don't give me that look; I know some big words" -- Bosco, 'Castles of Sand'

"We're only the law as long as people let us . . ." -- Sully, 'Blackout'

"You know, I've got so many bad things goin' on I'll leave the possibilities to someone else." -- Bosco, 'Lockdown'

"Bosco . . . I think I love you!" -- Munroe, 'The Spirit'

It was a little slow tonight. Took a while for things to get going, and I was expecting a big twist at the end like they advertised in a promo but nothing happened. But it will still a good episode, not the best, but still good.

Firstly, welcome to this side of the FORT Clispe. Hope to see you more often.

Otherwise . . . This has got to be the wierdest episode of Third Watch I have ever seen. I'm not sure if I'm biased because this was the "100th Episode" but I wouldn't be surprised. But I sensed a lot of different uses of camera angles and Character interaction that I don't normally pick up in "any other episode" of Third Watch --- or the Character interaction, I may clarify that there was more hostility than in recent episodes. I posted earlier about such, worried about the supposed hostility. So at least I was prepared I suppose.

Otherwise, I was also surprised that it ended as it did. When the victim/suspect was being put in Bosco/Munroe's car I was surprised to see my clock read four minutes 'til.

I'm curious, Clipse, but what would you consider a "big twist?" I thought finding the body was pretty big. But that's just me I suppose.

I think this episode was more suspenseful than most; next week may very well follow in this vein. It's an interesting change; I'm not sure if I like or dislike it yet. I'm hoping things don't stay this way for long, but I'd accept a moderate string of these types of episodes. It's like reading a thriller, at least to me.

Anyone else got anything to say?

"You know, I've got so many bad things goin' on I'll leave the possibilities to someone else." -- Bosco, 'Lockdown'

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian105
    I'm curious, Clipse, but what would you consider a "big twist?" I thought finding the body was pretty big. But that's just me I suppose.
    Well I agree the body was a big twist, but from what I heard I took it as the last few minutes, like last 5, something big was going to happen. Just mis-interpetation(sp?) by me I guess. I agree it was a thriller type but I prefer more action packed.

The camera angles and everything I thought was pretty cool. I have worked on an independant movie set and would like to be a camera operator once I get the cash to go to school, so I like watching how they do stuff such as that. I liked how they are changing it up a bit, but thought this episode was lacking compared to others.

I can see where the advertising may have mislead you or anyone else, Clipse; advertising, especially for TW, tends to do that to a lot of people.

Considering that NBC is supposedly the home of "big twists," I've generally seen such occurr within the last half-hour/quarter of any given show on that network, particularly either Third Watch or the Law & Order shows.

If I may ask, why do you feel this episode was lacking? Lacking in what?

I do agree, if slightly. As I stated earlier, this was certainly a "different" episode for me. It certainly didn't compare to The Spirit or their takes on 9/11, but I didn't really see any reason to dislike it with a passion.

I did 'sense' a difference in Character interaction. It didn't seem to be too important in this episode, which is rather unfortunate. Sure, the other cops noted that Cruz was actually being 'nice,' but who's to say that's gonna carry off into next week's episode? Unlike other episodes, where 'they' make it clear whether or not 'this' is a big change, I didn't get such reassurances from this episode.

Bosco took a step backward I think, what with his screamin' an' yellin' an' whatnot. It's almost as if Frank's heart-attack and his dealings with Cruz never happened. Though there was some hope: he semi-berates himself for not having been interested in investigating "the stupid guy" in the first place; and again with telling Cruz he "didn't want to remember this job." Takes someone with a conscience/sense of morality not to want to remember something heinous.

Unfortunately, I believe this episode had absolutely nothing to do with the overall show. But I'm not surprised. Should I have expected anything more from a supposed "100th Episode?" Of course not. It's supposed to be an attention-grabber, something that will lure new viewers into the small circle of TWits. I'm hoping it worked, because 'they' certainly appealed to the (hopefully) more intellectual crowd; not a single explosion for the male 18-34 range -- thoigh personally I'd prefer no explosions unless they're a part of the story (ie Alex Taylor's 'fiery' exit).

I saw it, I liked it. I thought the camera work was neat and the way all the cops interacted reminded me of old times. Good stuff.

So are my painkillers though.

I liked the interaction, I was wondering when the real Cruz was going to materialize and take the clone's place.
    The revolving camera made me nautious, I hope they don't plan to continue to use it.
    I'm liking Doc a whole lot less every time I see him. I find myself hoping that something will happen to put him out of his misery.
    The premise of the story was great, I'd love to see it continued on Law and Order so I get to see the rest of it unfold.
    100th episode means nothing to us.. it's only important to the network because now TW can be put into syndication - where they make the real money.
    My husband said "I can't believe the whole episode happened in that alley, it was like watching a Woody Allen movie" This was not a compliment- hubby hates Woody Allen movies lol.
    Next week looks better. Sometimes when you try too hard the effort is wasted.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

LG.
    100 episodes is no longer a threshold for syndication, as TW has been in syndication on cable for more than a year already. I thought it was an interesting episode, but as mentioned before, Bosco was regressing in his hot-headedness until the very end. Doc and Munroe had their first real interaction - I see that as a potential relationship, as something needs to pull Doc out of the dumps he's in or he's a gonner. I like how Ty asked Carlos about his brother, as they are buds and haven't shared a scene together in a long time. Best part about this episode - I don't remember seeing Jimmy at all.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

I think it was lacking because it was one set, in an alley. The first 20 minutes was the guy showing them where he got into the fight until finally it picked up and they found the blood. It just seemed slow, a lot slower than other episode.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast