+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Third Watch - 01/09 - "A Call For Help"

ToolieNooner
    I had noticed that they never cut the camera from one commercial to the next. And then I think they didn't cut then either. They made it seem as though you were someone that was there with them the whole time, going from one person to the next observing. I had to think that must have been a difficult thing, because there was no room for error, everyone had to be on que, and there were no retakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Clipse_85
    Well I agree the body was a big twist, but from what I heard I took it as the last few minutes, like last 5, something big was going to happen. Just mis-interpetation(sp?) by me I guess. I agree it was a thriller type but I prefer more action packed.

The camera angles and everything I thought was pretty cool. I have worked on an independant movie set and would like to be a camera operator once I get the cash to go to school, so I like watching how they do stuff such as that. I liked how they are changing it up a bit, but thought this episode was lacking compared to others.

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by ToolieNooner
    I had noticed that they never cut the camera from one commercial to the next. -- I had to think that must have been a difficult thing, because there was no room for error, everyone had to be on que, and there were no retakes.

As a Steadycam Operator and a Editor I have much respect for them on Third Watch. I was watching it and quickly realized there was no cuts. What makes it even harder is the 360 moves as they couldn't have a large crew or extra lights. It is hard enough to do small 2-4 min steadycam moves.
    You just got to respect the skill of the crew for that one.

DAVE

Now that the lack of screen cuts has been mentioned I realize that such is true (not that I'd think any of you were lying). Again another sensation of difference that I couldn't quite place. You make a very good point ToolieNooner about feeling like you were in on the action, and in retrospect I agree.

However, I do not believe they made this show in just one take; that's absolutely impossible -- unless you're superhuman. The wonders of the computer probably helped show the idea that this was completely seamless.

But otherwise no. This show couldn't have been made in an hour, and the actors/actresses certainly didn't take such little time to do it. People make mistakes; they forget lines, lose their place in a shot, etc. etc. etc.. That, and there's labor laws too.

LG: A victory for you, no? Here's hoping next week'll be the same, eh?

Clipse: I agree with you; being given a tour of the neighborhood isn't something one would usually expect on a show like Third Watch.
    "Don't give me that look; I know some big words" -- Bosco, 'Castles of Sand'

"We're only the law as long as people let us . . ." -- Sully, 'Blackout'

"You know, I've got so many bad things goin' on I'll leave the possibilities to someone else." -- Bosco, 'Lockdown'

"Bosco . . . I think I love you!" -- Munroe, 'The Spirit'

It obviously wasn't done in one take - but it was done with one camera, and one steady shot. Which I thought was cool. I also thought the story was pretty good too. No whiny Faith, Cruz didn't bug me...

My mistake; I now see what was being referred to.

"You know, I've got so many bad things goin' on I'll leave the possibilities to someone else." -- Bosco, 'Lockdown'

Weird? Yes--like a good old Twilight Zone ep.

Quote Originally Posted by Guardian105
    Firstly, welcome to this side of the FORT Clispe. Hope to see you more often.

Otherwise . . . This has got to be the wierdest episode of Third Watch I have ever seen. I'm not sure if I'm biased because this was the "100th Episode" but I wouldn't be surprised. But I sensed a lot of different uses of camera angles and Character interaction that I don't normally pick up in "any other episode" of Third Watch --- or the Character interaction, I may clarify that there was more hostility than in recent episodes. I posted earlier about such, worried about the supposed hostility. So at least I was prepared I suppose.

Otherwise, I was also surprised that it ended as it did. When the victim/suspect was being put in Bosco/Munroe's car I was surprised to see my clock read four minutes 'til.

I'm curious, Clipse, but what would you consider a "big twist?" I thought finding the body was pretty big. But that's just me I suppose.

I think this episode was more suspenseful than most; next week may very well follow in this vein. It's an interesting change; I'm not sure if I like or dislike it yet. I'm hoping things don't stay this way for long, but I'd accept a moderate string of these types of episodes. It's like reading a thriller, at least to me.

Anyone else got anything to say?
    I was on the edge of my seat & couldn't believe it when the hour was up. The red herring of the car (where we first see the killer fumbling furtively with the keys), kept me yelling at the TV: "Check the car!!", especially when the guy made such a big deal about getting his keys back. (Fooled me, didn't they?) The claustrophobic set (tall buildings, lots of corners, all that damn laundry overhead) also added to the suspense. Then the way they handcuffed just ONE hand to the bus--I kept expecting the guy to grab Bosco's gun when Bosco insisted on getting so close to him. So the body in the shed was a real surprise ending for me. Great epp--wish I had taped it; but I agree, we probably wouldn't want to see this type of subtle cat 'n mouse drama every week on this show.
    BTW--does anyone else expect Doc to pull a sniper-in-the-belltower act one of these days? What could they be setting up for him?
    (I finally had to quit lurking & just post, already. Please excuse procedural errors, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by crista galli
    Then the way they handcuffed just ONE hand to the bus--I kept expecting the guy to grab Bosco's gun when Bosco insisted on getting so close to him.
    His other hand was cut up so I don't think he could've reached for the gun...would've been kinda funny seeing him try to grip it though.

Quote Originally Posted by crista galli
    (I finally had to quit lurking & just post, already. Please excuse procedural errors, etc.)
    Always good to have new people stop by.

I agree with you Clipse. Would'ah been some nice humor in an otherwise dark situation.

New people are important. This is why we greet them with open arms, as Clipse has done.

Plus it's an excuse to scream:

STREAMERS!

Welcome to the fambily crista galli.

I didn't like the episode very much. I love Third Watch. It's just that the 100th episode want' my favorite, that's all.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12