+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12/11 - "Makemba"

12/11 - "Makemba"

ER
    MAKEMBA
    12-11-2003 9:59PM

CHRISTMAS IN THE CONGO HAS CARTER FINDING LOVE AND HOPE; THANDIE NEWTON GUEST-STARS -- On Christmas Eve, a chilled emergency room staff do their best to observe the holiday while a crusading Dr. Carter (Noah Wyle) does the same half a world away in a run-down Congolese medical clinic as recent flashbacks reveal his clashes with Makemba (guest star Thandie Newton, "Mission: Impossible 2"), a beautiful native AIDS worker over the meager resources -- and they slowly fall in love.

As Carter re-adjusts to the heat, filth and dangers of the region, he keeps in touch with his Chicago friends and embarks on a personal mission to save a pregnant mother who is dying of AIDS, he is confronted by anti-Americanism from his French comrades.

Even so, Carter is determined to bring the joy and love of Christmas to the local children of Kisingani. Laura Innes, Goran Visnjic, Maura Tierney, Sherry Stringfield, Sharif Atkins, Mekhi Phifer, Parminder Nagra and Linda Cardellini also star. Emmy Award-winning series executive producer John Wells wrote the episode..

I guess this will be the last 'new' epi we will get until the new year
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I liked the Congo storyline once, but I think this is overdoing it. I'm all for character development but it seems we don't know a lot more about Luka and Carter than before. Traveling around might work when there are only a couple of main characters on a show but here the cast is large enough that I have a hard time remembering what is going on when they return to the ER.

I do want to see Abby's reaction when Carter comes back and she sees that he's in a new relationship though. She's running out of options.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

OMG! Huge shocker before the opening credits roll!

Baby Carter has a ring to it. That was a shocker. It seems that they had a "slip up" on night and that's all it takes.

Going back one week, I missed the find the pancake Romano. How was the discovery of Romano done?

Eldee it was done in retrospect. In mention only.

I find it hard to believe that a doctor and an AIDS worker had unprotected sex.

I agree. I think either they had too much to drink or passion was most important on their minds. Tisk, tisk. That could have been part of a plot right there but, I guess NBC does not want to point that out as a flaw for the good Carter. Maybe it broke. I wonder if someone back in the states might mention it. Plus, what if it ends up being the other guy's (Peter/Paul?) baby? What will Carter do?

I think this is a great storyline, I would love to see Carter become a dad !

LG.
    I'd rather see Carter shave that fuzz off his face.
    Help fight cystic fibrosis or just learn more about it at the cystic fibrosis foundation website, www.cff.org and help give my little guy a better future.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar

I hate when they take storylines out of the ER. It's not what I'm interested in seeing.

I thought Carter had left the show permanently, but I guess not.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast