+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ER: The "kid" - Ugh!

FORT Fogey

The "kid" - Ugh!

What is up with this new kid on this once proud show?!?

Traditionally in televisiondom, whenever a long-running show starts to falter a bit, they just decided to plug in a new “cute-kid”. Usually the “kid” is a precocious, ‘wise beyond his years’ smartass type – complete with sugar bowl haircut. This is the living, breathing version of a show “jumping the shark”.

This often occurs when the hormones of the previously “cute kid/s” on the show kick-in and voices deepen, breasts swell and the actors are taller than mom & dad.

The Brady Bunch added “Oliver” after Bobby and Cindy left home and joined the Manson Family…Different Strokes added that red-headed kid when Gary Coleman became old enough to buy beer and Willis went to prison for crack possesion…the Partridge Family added a cute neighbor kid when Tracy developed D- cups, Danny grew a beard and Chris knocked-up the neighbors daughter… Family Ties added a baby at the end of one season when Tina Yothers was no longer a cute, wisecracking tomboy and started making films about trying out to be a Laker Girl, and, due to the magic of TV, the baby grew to the age of 5 or 6 over the summer so that he could be a cute, sugar bowl haired “kid” at the start of the next season…the list is endless.

But ER?!? Cmon. This is (was) a top of the line show. It is still a quality show and does NOT need to stoop to the “add-a-kid” level of writing stunt.

Anybody but me completely hate the new story line of Sam the jaded, but dedicated, smarter than most doctors, but still with a vulnerable feminine side nurse and her dark, sullen, kleptomaniac, compulsive liar son with his morbid fascination with death and dismemberment?

And then to pour salt on the wound, the decide to add a blooming romance between Sam and Luka – which seems forced and I don’t sense a lot of chemistry there.

Luka keeps talking about going back to Africa so I can only imagine what stunt the “cute-kid” will do to keep Momma and Luka together.

Perhaps he will “jump the shark” on his BMX.

Ugh!
    Last edited by Daddio; 12-05-2003 at 11:13 AM.

FORT Newbie
    I wouldn't say anything they've been doing this season is jumping the shark. This season has been incredible and I'm loving it! I will admit that last night's show was ho - hum, but I guess they can't all be as good as last week's show.

Last night's show was disappointing because I felt they should have done more about Romano's death. I find that kid annoying and kind of cringe whenever the focus is on him. I'm not big on precocious at all and I just think that it is too far removed from reality (even for tv) that a kid would be running loose around the emergency room stealing fingers and supplies, etc. Maybe they should have him steal drugs and sell them in his schoolyard! I was at our hospital last weekend in the ER (not myself but had to take someone there) and I didn't see any kids sitting in the back doing their homework while the ER was hopping busy. At our hospital we can't even get past the waiting room without a security guard asking where we're going.
    Darn Kangaroos!! I am le tired.

Yeah, I totally agree with that, Rufus. That kid would NOT be allowed to run around watching what should be confidential examinations, etc. Furthermore, I have to imagine that in the real world, taking the finger would have had FAR more dire consequences than a simple "You're in trouble, mister." That's a HUGE lawsuit waiting to happen, and they didn't even really address it, outside of the context of "oh, he's a moody little boy." Screw that. Man I hate that kid.

the kid is a creepy, vile little beggar. Can't wait to see the back of him.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I have to agree with everyone here...the kid must go! He is a little s**t that is just annoying to everyone.

I am thinking that they are going to kill him off in a dramatic fashion. Here's why I think that: Remember in last nights ep, when Sam was yelling at Kovac about putting the splint on him? She said something to the effect of "you have no clue how to raise children"...but Kovac IS a father who has lost his 2 children in Bosnia(?). She obviously does not know this, and he did not react at the time. So it goes down like this....something happens to the kid, Kovac works on him, but cant save him. Sam is obviously hysterical for the entire episode. He consoles her, and talks about losing children. They eventually grow together and become a couple.

It could happen.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    I have to agree with everyone here...the kid must go! He is a little s**t that is just annoying to everyone.

I am thinking that they are going to kill him off in a dramatic fashion. Here's why I think that: Remember in last nights ep, when Sam was yelling at Kovac about putting the splint on him? She said something to the effect of "you have no clue how to raise children"...but Kovac IS a father who has lost his 2 children in Bosnia(?). She obviously does not know this, and he did not react at the time. So it goes down like this....something happens to the kid, Kovac works on him, but cant save him. Sam is obviously hysterical for the entire episode. He consoles her, and talks about losing children. They eventually grow together and become a couple.

It could happen.
    That is an interesting possibility.

My thought on the kids (hopefully coming soon) demise was, remember the episode where Luka took an x-ray of the kid's skull "just for fun" during one of the kid's many hours spent meandering around the ER?

Well, I see Momma Sammy either cleaning the kids room or looking through his room for other stolen items and coming across the X-ray and then holds it up to the light and takes a close look at it for the first time - and low and behold she discovers a brain tumor or something.

Another possibility is they made a big point of stressing that the kid is diabetic. Maybe something will happen on that front.

The Luka/Sam relationship is def going to be affected by Luka's supposedly imminent return to Africa too.

Maybe if the kid bites the farm, Luka will take a greif stricken Sam to Africa with him to help clear her head. Sam becomes infected with Ebola or Malaria and also kicks the bucket. Luka returns to Chicago and hooks up with Chunie or Jerri for some hot times.

Does that sound plausible or is that too much to ask?
    Last edited by Daddio; 12-05-2003 at 01:56 PM.

I thought the same thing when they x-rayed him, that a tumor or something would be discovered. I suppose they'll use this to explain why he's out of control.

Romano must be spinning in his grave at the way this kid runs all over the hospital. There seems to be a real leadership void at county right now, hopefully Ansbaugh (sp?) or someone will get things back on track again, Weaver sure can't handle it without pissing off most of the staff.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

FORT Newbie
    Wow, those are some great ideas.

I also was disappointed that not much was said about Romano. After last new episode, I was so anxious to watch, only to be let down.

FORT Newbie
    Had to stop lurking long enough to say
    Get rid of the kid!
    DH works in hospital, and we were both shocked at the way the kid breaches patient privacy and confidentialty. With the HIPAA emphasis on patient privacy, this was just so unreal!
    any of the ways that you guys have mentioned to get rid of the kid...I'm for it! Go, kid, go (and I really mean it).
    Bring back Romano.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast