+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: Arrested Development

I don't understand how sheer rubbish can stay on the air for years, and one of the cleverest comedies of recent times can be on thin ice.

How do you NOT enjoy this show? It must be recorded because it's nearly impossible to fully ingest in one viewing alone. If you laugh too long at one line you're likely to miss the hilarity of the following line.

Masterfully written. Magnificently acted and directed. Arrested Development is one of the finest sitcoms I've seen in quite a while. Fox shouldn't be considering dropping it. If anything, they need to stretch it to an hour.

Agreed. This is the funniest show ever - and you really have to pay close attention. The problem is that the general public is conditioned to only laugh for a laugh track, so they don't understand this show.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    This is the funniest show ever -
    I don't know that I'd go THAT far....but it is a funny show. No reminder needed...I watch every week. Martin Short was hilarious this week "SHOOT ME!!!!"
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Quote Originally Posted by SueEllenMishke
    I had to bump this thread up to plead with other Forters to please, please, please watch this show! It seems like it's on very shaky ground and may not get picked up for a third season. If this happens, I just don't know what I'll do without my weekly Gob and Buster fix!
    Are you kidding me? I don't understand how this show is not a huge ratings sensation, it's just hilarious. It's hard to explain, and perhaps for that reason hard to sell, but I do agree with Confused that it's a "grower." I didn't catch on till halfway through season one, after some of my friends urged me to watch it, and my only regret has been that I didn't watch sooner.

If FOX doesn't renew this, I'll throw a protest on a pirate ship in a ruffled shirt.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Asst to the Regional Mgr SueEllenMishke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Are you kidding me? I don't understand how this show is not a huge ratings sensation, it's just hilarious. It's hard to explain, and perhaps for that reason hard to sell, but I do agree with Confused that it's a "grower." I didn't catch on till halfway through season one, after some of my friends urged me to watch it, and my only regret has been that I didn't watch sooner.

If FOX doesn't renew this, I'll throw a protest on a pirate ship in a ruffled shirt.
    I will join you dressed as the Bananagrabber!

In all honesty, I think that the show is too smart for a lot of viewers. But, I wish that people would give it a chance because it is so, so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Qboots
    Agreed. This is the funniest show ever - and you really have to pay close attention. The problem is that the general public is conditioned to only laugh for a laugh track, so they don't understand this show.
    I totally agree. I love this show and I am going to be so disappointed if this show is canceled. The funniest show on TV and people are not watching it, I don't know what the world is coming to!
    At least there are lots of smart people at the FORT who can appreciate this show!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,147922,00.html

Fox Halting Production of Arrested Development
    Thursday, February 17, 2005

LOS ANGELES Jason Bateman (search) and the rest of the "Arrested Development" (search) clan might be in need of comfort: Fox is halting production after 18 episodes, shy of the usual 22, bringing the season and maybe the series to a premature end April 17.

"American Dad" takes its 8:30 p.m. EST Sunday slot starting May 1. The animated comedy about a CIA agent and his family scored in a post-Super Bowl preview and Fox awarded it the premium real estate after "The Simpsons."

With the football extravaganza as launching pad, "American Dad" drew 15 million viewers. For its sophomore season to date, "Arrested Development" is averaging 6 million weekly viewers, down from last season's average audience of 6.2 million.

The lack of interest persists despite rave reviews and awards: a Golden Globe for Bateman in January and a best-comedy series Emmy last year.

It's not the only program suffering a gap between quality and ratings. "Jack & Bobby" (9 p.m. EST Wednesdays), the WB's drama about the formative years of a future U.S. president, can't stoke viewer interest despite a critically acclaimed first season.

Although a relatively new network like WB doesn't demand "American Idol"-size ratings, the 2.7 million average weekly audience for "Jack & Bobby" is scant compared to the nearly 6 million watching WB's most-watched series, "7th Heaven."

Worthy shows have come and gone many times before, but the irony is acute for the latest endangered pair. "Arrested Development," which is ferociously clever and daringly breaks the laugh-track, multicamera sitcom mold, arrived as the genre cried out for rejuvenation.

With the passing of "Friends," "Sex and the City" and (at the end of this season) "Everybody Loves Raymond," observers have lamented the mostly uninspired retreads that are left.

"Arrested Development" wasn't entirely startling "Seinfeld" reveled in the crassness of its characters; "Curb Your Enthusiasm" saw its cynicism and raised it.

But the Fox show was asking a sitcom family to be received as something other than inherently warm and loving, and derived its dry humor from the characters' odd, morally suspect behavior.

That audiences would take awhile to adapt was understandable, Bateman said.

"If anybody says this show is not accessible, which I think is not really accurate or fair or deserved, perhaps that's what they're talking about," the actor said. "It's around the side door for laughter. You have to watch two episodes to understand what our joke is. Then, if you're in that gear, it delivers nonstop."

Adds "Arrested Development" creator Mitchell Hurwitz: "I think people understand dealing with adult parents and adult siblings, and that's at the core of every show."

Relationships also are central to "Jack & Bobby," which stars Christine Lahti as the loving but eccentric single mother of a boy destined to be a leader (Logan Lerman) and his older brother, Jack (Matt Long).

Along with family and romantic skirmishes, the series created by Greg Berlanti explores how Bobby's childhood shapes the character and moral sense he ultimately brings to the presidency.

It's a sophisticated twist on popular youth-oriented dramas such as "Everwood" and "Smallville," and arrived in a season of renewed viewer interest in scripted shows ("Lost," "Desperate Housewives") after the reality flood.

"Jack & Bobby" also appears to have the potential to attract the somewhat older audience that WB executives have said they want to cultivate as the network focuses on 20-somethings as well as teenagers.

Berlanti knows how to make appealing dramas, with "Everwood" and "Dawson's Creek" among his credits. He searches for an answer when asked why his latest effort isn't getting traction.

Maybe there's audience fatigue from too many family dramas, he suggests. Maybe it's the political element that's putting people off.

"I'd very much be looking forward to a second season when we didn't have an election," Berlanti said. "I think it was a case of people being oversaturated with that."

He expects "Jack & Bobby" to go the full season with 22 episodes and have a fighting chance to build its audience. With the truncated run for "Arrested Development," it seems unlikely that Fox (which gets points for bringing it back after the first low-rated season) will find a reason to renew it when the 2006-05 schedule is announced in May.

Veteran actress Jessica Walter, who stars as the cold-fish Bluth mother, Lucille, is dismayed by the show's peril.

"I think it's awful that art or creative entertainment is made for some formula of Nielsen ratings, and I don't buy into that," she said. "I'd rather be on something good watched by 1 million people than something awful watched by 20 million."

Berlanti strikes a more philosophical note.

He and his writers are working "to tell the best stories we know how to tell and hope that some point down the line people look back on the series, whether it goes for five years or just one year, and want to buy the box (DVD) set."
    This can't be good.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

I just discovered the show this season - I've been kicking myself for not catching it sooner. It's my luck that Fox would give up on this show just when I started to watch!
    Well I was born in a small town
    And I can breathe in a small town
    Gonna die in this small town
    And that's prob'ly where they'll bury me

You should rent the first season DVD, Dinahann, it's just cracking good.

Oh no, Hep, that article you posted...Say it isn't so!

I don't understand how the series is not a huge sensation. I guess I just don't understand popular taste. Please don't tell me they honestly think that "Family Guy" rip-off (which is really a "Simpsons" + "Pinky & the Brain" rip-off) "American Dad" is a better show.

Anyway, if you haven't ever seen "Arrested Development" I would advise you to heed the advice from Jason Bateman:
    That audiences would take awhile to adapt was understandable, Bateman said.

"If anybody says this show is not accessible, which I think is not really accurate or fair or deserved, perhaps that's what they're talking about," the actor said. "It's around the side door for laughter. You have to watch two episodes to understand what our joke is. Then, if you're in that gear, it delivers nonstop."
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

The best shows always die young.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread