+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1435Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

I just read that Barbara and ABC are denying that she is retiring.
    probably by tomorrow, the story will change again!

Los Angeles California + Milwaukee Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by razorbacker View Post
    I put Kathy Griffin right up there on the dispicable scale with Joan Rivers, Rosie O'Donnell & Roseanne Barr.
    Hmmmmm. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. You just named four of my FAVORITE ladies. You might not agree with their views or politics, but they are four of the smartest, sharpest, and most accomplished women in show biz. And, Joan, Rosie and Roseanne are totally TRAILBLAZERS in the field of women in comedy -- without whom there wouldn't be nearly as many opportunities for the upcoming female comics getting the amount of work they do in comedic films, tv and stand-up today.
    prhoshay, JLuvs, Shoepie and 1 others like this.

I wish it was May 2013. A whole year of retrospective programs? Not anything I'll be watching.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Enjoyed the comedians today. The little girl was a bundle of nerves, but it's interesting to see someone young who is already trying out the field. She was 11, I think. It was also interesting to hear what a male comedian had to say about funny women, and I don't think he was kidding. Men are just strange creatures, over all. Like Joy has always said, men just don't like funny women; the guy comedian confirmed that.

This show reminded me of how much I got a kick out of a show that Oprah had on many years ago: A Joke A Minute. She let people in the audience come up and tell 1 joke. It was hilarious!! Great idea. As far as I know, she only had a show like that once.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

Prhoshay: What did the guy say about female comedians? I didn't get to see it. I have heard women comedians compalin before about how the guys treat them. I'd be interested in any info about this.

He said something to the effect of the guys don't want their women to be funny.....just to look good. Basically, they don't want to tell their friends something like "You should meet my wife. She is REALLY funny."

I think there is a competition factor involved here. If you are funny, it will bring you attention and some people are prone to pouting. You Really Should Ask A Guy Comedian. Whoopi told the guy, Bone, that if a woman is funny, that they just needed to accept it and get over it. Yay, Whoop!!!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fan

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    He said something to the effect of the guys don't want their women to be funny.....just to look good. Basically, they don't want to tell their friends something like "You should meet my wife. She is REALLY funny."

I think there is a competition factor involved here. If you are funny, it will bring you attention and some people are prone to pouting. You Really Should Ask A Guy Comedian. Whoopi told the guy, Bone, that if a woman is funny, that they just needed to accept it and get over it. Yay, Whoop!!!
    Thanks for the info!

And I agree, go Whoopi!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, Whoopi should know--she falls into that category as well!

I'm a teacher and I remember back in the day a woman faculty member, very funny, saying to the mostly female class, most of whom expected to be teaching, that humor is a great thing to use in teaching as it helps the students recall stuff, but that if you are a woman you have to do kind of "unintentional" humor, not formal joke telling, a minister, a priest and a rabbi went into a bar, kind of humor--that it just doesn't fly with the audience from women. That was before all these great trailblazers....
    JulieAnn likes this.

I think I had an advantage going to an all-girls private school. There were a lot of funny women, of course, nuns and all. NOBODY felt threatened by the funny females, and we did have a good time laughing at them all. If a guy came in to teach something or give a talk, he just had to deal with it, and they would not always hold back but they may have altered the way that they presented something. If a guy did come in, I think we spent more time just looking at him because you know we had to talk about him later. If he was there for a period of time, the "gloves/blinders" would finally come off, and we'd be back to our regular selves.
    JulieAnn likes this.

Has there been any mention of Meredith Veria returning to The View? Just curious.

+ Reply to Thread