+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1628Likes

Thread: The View

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: The View

I just now getting around to watching some of this week's shows and I'm watching Wednesday's episode and all I have to say is WTF is up with Whoopi's shoes??? The look like mini skateboards....geez, they're HIDEOUS!
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

A person cannot get shingles if they have not had chicken pox. They can get shingles if they have ever had chicken pox or had the chicken pox vaccine.

I, along with all three of my kids, had chicken pox at the same time. I was 29 years old and other than my two kidney stones, I don't think I've ever been so miserable. I've heard shingles is just as bad.

I work at a pharmacy and we give the shingles shot. It is quite expensive, but most insurance plans cover it so the people that I've seen anyway pay around $100 or less for the shot. Still pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.
    When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "Happy." They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life. - John Lennon

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I don't think they are lying about her condition. Why would they? What is the motivation? Cindy Adams was with Barbara in Washington, and wrote about what happened. She said that Barbara had been running a fever, but did not say anything about it, which is normal for Barbara. If she makes commitments to be places, she goes to great lengths to make sure anything personal doesn't get in the way of keeping her commitments. They were at a reception before the innauguration, and Barbara fainted. The initial reports said she had fallen, but the truth was she fainted. To me, it's understandable that there'd be confusion. If I were at a party, and noticed an older person on the floor, I would assume they had fallen - it's common enough that it's a logical conclusion. When Barbara was taken to the hospital because of the fall, in the basic check-in they would have detected the fever that she knew about but was hiding. From there, they worked on determining what was causing the fever, and discovered it was the chicken pox. Yes, it is uncommon for an older person to get the chicken pox. But that's not because it can't happen. It's uncommon because it was SO common for children to get it. I think it all makes sense, and even if it didn't, it's truly none of our business. Just because a person is on TV does not mean the public has reason to be privy to all aspects of their private and medical life.
    Thanks for the update. When I posted the facts had not come out.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Re chicken pox--I had my kids 'back in the day' before the shot was available, and the pediatricians were all for exposing your child young, as it was well known that the older you were when you had chicken pox the worse it was. People used to throw chicken pox parties when one kid in the neighborhood got it, and if the child wasn't feeling bad (mild case) they encouraged you to send a sick child to school to expose the others. We inadvertently had our own "party"--spent an Easter vacation with friends with kids the same age who arrived with what turned out to be the pox. Next week was not fun at our house as first one, then the other, of my kids had it, one quite badly, so we spent ages sitting in the bathroom with him in Aveeno baths or in the darkened upstairs hallway, the only place without windows, because it was around his eyes and light hurt.
    I had a friend who got shingles before the shots came out--he was in agony, couldn't even bear cloth touching his skin. Luckily it was coming on for summer....when I ran into him he was wearing a very floaty Hawaiian shirt...not his usual style! You can believe when the shots came out I was one of the first in line!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

With elderly people, it is harder for them to mount fevers and such, thus they are usually sicker than one would think. I'm guessing that either BW didn't even know she had a fever or assumed that since it was "only" low grade, it was nothing to worry about. There's no telling how long she was just feeling "a little off".

Interestingly enough, I wasn't a person who would catch things when being around other kids who were sick. In college, I did contract the Norovirus from a boyfriend....he had it for, maybe 2 days, I was actively sick for a week, and it was vile! The spewing from my openings (being delicate, here!) was violent and explosive. I begged to be taken to the infirmary, which is definitely not me. Once they got my "explosions" under control, they wanted to keep me but I wasn't having any of that. I figured I could be laying-around sick in my dorm room as well as I could there. They "checked" my spewing so well until my normal bodily functions did not return for a month, no exxageration.

Norovirus is NO JOKE! Got to give it to my boyfriend....he took really good care of me.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

The View

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post

Once they got my "explosions" under control.....
    I'm sorry you went through that, but this one line sent me into uncontrollable giggles. I know I'm immature when it comes to comments like that. But then again, this is coming from someone who sits around with her friends and compares embarrassing poop stories. Hee Hee!

Not to worry....I have friends like you! Of course, they're mostly juvenile men!!! They would be "on the floor" howling and holding their sides if I told them. My Idiots!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

PWS
    FORT Fogey

That's a real test for a boyfriend!

Whoopi's daughter towers over her mother! I've always noticed that in pictures and thought it unusual, probably, because it seems that most of the time mother/daughter heights seem comparable, that I can recall. She looks like a lighter-skinned version, minus the glasses, of her mother.

Isn't her daughter adopted?

When my mother died, she had shingles from the top of the left side of her head all the way down the left side of her body. Shingles attack the nerves and usually are confined to either the left or right side of the body.

You can bet that when I heard about the vaccine I found the shot real quick. I have medicare so the majority of the cost was paid. However, the pharmacy tech who gave me the shot hit a blood vessel (slightly to the underside of the left arm) so I had a huge bruise that lasted a month.

My brother and I went through two types of measles, mumps and chickenpox over a two year period, but at least they were done while we were still fairly young. I was left with a small pox pit on my face.
    The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity. Dorothy Parker, (attributed)

+ Reply to Thread