+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1606Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

If Barbara had never had chicken pox, then she can't have shingles. That's how it has been described to me. The shingles is the chicken pox reappearing in a different form. If it were the shingles, then why not announce that? I miss the point of why they would cover it up with chicken pox which is so similar.

I had chicken pox at age 15 and it was HORRIBLE. I was sick as a dog and had the WORST case of pox ever. I had them in my mouth, ears, and everywhere you can imagine. It's one of the worse 3 things that ever happened to me. Poor Barbara. I feel for her.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I, too, am thinking that they won't call a disease shingles unless you have had the "chickenpops" (as the kids in my neighborhood used to say!

Now, I've heard 2 different things within a couple of days of each other: One day I hear that if you've not had chickenpox that you need to get the chickenpox vaccine. A couple of days later I hear that you can just get the shingles vaccine (about $300-$400! ) if you've never had chickenpox. I want to say I heard both on a news show since Ol' Pretzel Legs came down with her issue.

ANOTHER issue for my esteemed doc to give clarity on at my next appointment in a couple of weeks!
    I am making that woman EARN her money! Keeping her on her toes!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I had shingles, it was caught too late so I couldn't get the vaccine. If it is shingles, my heart goes out to her, It's THE most painful thing I have ever had in my life
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

Yes, someone get the details from their doctor. I was at an appointment with my dad yesterday, but we were discussing heart issues with the cardiologist. I didn't think to ask him about it. He would probably refer to the G.P. anyway. I want the details. I think they recommend the shingles vaccine only if you are over a certain age. I'm not sure what it is. I think insurance coveres it, but you have to have a prescription.

Sometimes, shingles may be the first indication of a weakened immune system, so I'd think just about any doctor (well, almost, anyway) would be aware of the general symptoms and the effect they could have in treatments.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Yes, someone get the details from their doctor. I was at an appointment with my dad yesterday, but we were discussing heart issues with the cardiologist. I didn't think to ask him about it. He would probably refer to the G.P. anyway. I want the details. I think they recommend the shingles vaccine only if you are over a certain age. I'm not sure what it is. I think insurance coveres it, but you have to have a prescription.
    Over 60 - its advised to have the vaccine here.
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fogey

I just had one at Walgreens, with a prescription. Insurance covered it because I am over 60.

I have never heard of anyone having chicken pox at 86. Since there has been a vaccine available for decades it is unlikely she caught it from a child. I think that is fishy. She was hospitalized for a fall and in the hospital gets chicken pox? Come on. The View women have been talking about her fall. I guess the PR people didn't get to them in time.

Networks already have her obituary tributes done; they do this with all old celebrities. When she dies I will have to steer clear of the news and entertaiment shows and the RIP thread here. It will go on for days!

Not saying she is at deaths door, just musing. Since I find this fishy I think there is something else wrong with her other than her filter leaving! That, I love, actually.

FORT Fogey

I don't think they are lying about her condition. Why would they? What is the motivation? Cindy Adams was with Barbara in Washington, and wrote about what happened. She said that Barbara had been running a fever, but did not say anything about it, which is normal for Barbara. If she makes commitments to be places, she goes to great lengths to make sure anything personal doesn't get in the way of keeping her commitments. They were at a reception before the innauguration, and Barbara fainted. The initial reports said she had fallen, but the truth was she fainted. To me, it's understandable that there'd be confusion. If I were at a party, and noticed an older person on the floor, I would assume they had fallen - it's common enough that it's a logical conclusion. When Barbara was taken to the hospital because of the fall, in the basic check-in they would have detected the fever that she knew about but was hiding. From there, they worked on determining what was causing the fever, and discovered it was the chicken pox. Yes, it is uncommon for an older person to get the chicken pox. But that's not because it can't happen. It's uncommon because it was SO common for children to get it. I think it all makes sense, and even if it didn't, it's truly none of our business. Just because a person is on TV does not mean the public has reason to be privy to all aspects of their private and medical life.

I think BW, herself, will discuss it since she knows from a firsthand point of view. I could even see her bringing a doctor on to talk about it to make people aware of what can happen.

I just hope she feels well soon,. I don't miss her on the show, but I don't wish her harm
    Shoepie likes this.
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread