+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1458Likes

Thread: The View

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Re: The View

Is it the thickness of the braid, or how tightly they are braided? Of course, that may be one and the same. At any rate, I don't know how she stands them being, regularly, in her face.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    They can be a little hard on the scalp depending on their thickness. Whoopi's are quite thick.
    I noticed sometimes they are shorter than other times.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

I'm guessing that is called a "haircut"!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    I'm guessing that is called a "haircut"!
    But a day later they are long again.
    -Andy Rooney-

I hate Michael Symon's cackling, hyena laugh; he needs a nervous/crazy pill. Annoys the heck out of me. For me, it's right up there with Elisabeth's shrill, manic parakeet voice.

Watched Sherri's Carlina White movie, and she did a very credible job. Interesting, and sad story. Good job, Sherri!
    What did Whoopie say about Lindsay Lohen parents, they should stay away from her? I thought her father had a court order from her to do just that. That girl is going to end up dead soon
    -Andy Rooney-

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    But a day later they are long again.
    They grow fast. Mostly because chemicals and heat styling aren't' used, allowing the hair to grow. Some women even braid their dreads, then open the braids up for a wavier affect on the locs (dreadlocks)
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

I consider myself educated! Thank you! My new lesson for the day!
    bee stung lips likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips View Post
    They grow fast. Mostly because chemicals and heat styling aren't' used, allowing the hair to grow. Some women even braid their dreads, then open the braids up for a wavier affect on the locs (dreadlocks)
    Thank you. Whoopie wouldn't be Whoopie without them
    -Andy Rooney-

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Is it the thickness of the braid, or how tightly they are braided? Of course, that may be one and the same. At any rate, I don't know how she stands them being, regularly, in her face.
    There's really no set way to judge whether it is the thickness of the loc or how tight they are, because as the hair grows from the scalp, the hair at the base of the loc itself loosens away from the scalp. Some locs, even though they may have started off tiny, will expand and puff (or swell out, so to speak) up as they grow. Although all locs are generaly the same, different people's locs grow in, in different ways mostly depending on hair texture.

Generally speaking, one can choose one of a few ways to start their locs off. Either by braiding the hair, two-strand twisting it, or coiling it. For the coiling process, a section of hair that might normally be used to braid the hair, would instead be rolled between the palms of the hands down the length of that section. Of course for any of the aforementioned methods, a gel or other holding type substance would first be applied to the hair to hold it in place while the loc'ing process begins. The hair normally begins loc'ing up anywhere from two to four months.

Long story short, once locs are formed, there are a couple of methods for maintaining them: twisting the new growth at the root as new hair grows in, or letting them free-form. For free-forming one would simply allow the hair to grow out at the root and allow it to stay loose. But the twisting at the root makes for neater looking locs in most cases. I can't be totally sure, but looking at Whoopi's locs it appears as though she's free-forming hers. Some people say that maintaining the locs via the twisting method and making them tighter at the root, which over time can lead to stress at the root, can even cause some locs snap off the scalp all together if the locs are really skinny. I would think the thicker the loc, the less likelihood of one snapping off or causing bald spots.

Sorry for rambling on...lol
    Last edited by bee stung lips; 10-11-2012 at 06:17 PM.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Not rambling. I don't know how it works ( or didn't)
    -Andy Rooney-

+ Reply to Thread