+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I have no problem with the President going on The View. Part of his job is trying to get re-elected, and he has to be given the freedom and time to do that part of his job. And these days, presenting your personality to voters, and selling yourself on that is part of the game. When it comes to the president having to explain his policies, why certain decisions were made, etc, I think there are better shows to go on than The View. We've talked in this thread about how misinformed the women on the show can be in talking about issues. So if the president (or any candidate who goes on the show) makes claims, they're not going to be really equipped to challenge whether or not those claims are true. I hope that the president (and Mitt Romney, and other political candidates) are not getting away with going on shows like The View and Jimmy Fallon instead of shows like Meet the Press or World News Tonight where they would get tougher questions. When they start avoiding hard hitting news shows, instead just doing the personality stuff, I think it's bad. But in general, part of getting elected is showing people who you are.
    prhoshay and AlwaysVeg like this.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    I know. Actually, it was a rhetorical question. With the country falling apart I would rather NOT see him show up on a talk show.
    Why not? It's just another way of reaching the American people to explain what's going on, why he made certain decisions, what's ahead, etc. I see absolutely no down side to TV appearances by the President of the United States.
    Shoepie, tapper01 and Debb70 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
    I know. Actually, it was a rhetorical question. With the country falling apart I would rather NOT see him show up on a talk show.
    The very same show, that has become a bit of joke . Especially with loopy guests like Rielle Hunter
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    Why not? It's just another way of reaching the American people to explain what's going on, why he made certain decisions, what's ahead, etc. I see absolutely no down side to TV appearances by the President of the United States.
    He only shows up where he knows he won't get the tough questions, like why is the country falling apart and why can't you figure out how to fix it? Do you think Joy or Whoopie would ask him that?

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain View Post
    I understand this sentiment, I really do. But to play Devil's Advocate here, part of his job is to reach out to and explain his decisions, making him more accountable to the people. I think the more opportunities people have to call the president to task for things the better. On the flip side of that coin, I think the more opportunities the President has to explain his policies, the better. More informed people can make more informed choices about who they vote for, and further, they can understand and make better use of new legislation. The time where the White House was so removed from the people has passed.
    There are plenty of forums he could go on to 'explain' his policies. He knows The View is targeting a certain group of people, and he's playing politics by choosing this show. I would love for him to do a press conference and explain what the heck it is he's doing to improve our country. He even said, when he got elected, if he can't fix it in 3 years he doesn't deserve to be President again. Well.........? I agree.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

NObody else has been able to explain the intricacies, either, so why should this be surprise? I could name names, but I don't think that's necessary. His 'assumed' opponent is shady joke....a man without a plan. Welcome to the USA. He doesn't have any respect for you or for me....we're not in his class/sphere of interest.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey

I don't think Obama has ever shied away from the hard questions. No presidential candidate can do that. By going on The View, he can appeal to a particular voting base, just as he did when he appeared on Jimmy Fallon and reached out to the college vote. In a debate setting or on a news show, he would be asked about difficult issues and would be judged by his answers, as is appropriate in the democratic process. And BTW, he DOES give press conferences to address his policies and decisions. I could only say he is shying away from explaining what he's doing for the country if he refused to give press conferences, address those issues on the campaign trail, participate in debates, or appear on hard news shows, which is not the case, and will be happening more and more as election time gets closer.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Seriously not to be rude or anything, but Sherri looks like Big Bird in that dress she's wearing today.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Youn know you meant to be "rude" (and I don't really think that's the word that we need right there). That's why you used the word "but"!!!!

Can't wait to see today's show. Spent all morning in the car repair shop. Hate it when that happens!

Sherri's been looking pretty awful lately.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Youn know you meant to be "rude" (and I don't really think that's the word that we need right there). That's why you used the word "but"!!!!

Can't wait to see today's show. Spent all morning in the car repair shop. Hate it when that happens!

Sherri's been looking pretty awful lately.
    Okay then...rude it is. Terrible wig choices too. Don't like that short, curly look on her at all. On the dress: I did like the colour yellow on her, but definitely not the A-line, tent style cut. It didn't suit her short-statured, short-waisted figure at all. Reminds me of lyrics from a Jill Scott song, "everything ain't for everybody...". On the other hand, Queen Latifah who was on the show today, had on a similar styled dress and it looked great on her.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

+ Reply to Thread