+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1429Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #9131
    Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the edge
    Posts
    6,289

    Re: The View

    Is it too much to ask for to watch a tv program without Sherri Shepard in it? Today she was hosting Who Wants to be a Millionaire.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

  2. #9132
    I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Where the Thunder Rolls
    Posts
    2,278

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Shoepie View Post
    I am getting tired of Whoopie. She could DVR DWTS and just watch Sherri. Or not, but stop with the constant trashing of reality tv. We get it, you are above it all and much too relevant and sohpistocated to.......to.............to, what? To not judge another? No, you do that very well. What is wrong with you? I am tired of you getting pissed off all the time. I used to think you were really nifty.
    I don't think Whoopie thinks she is above it all or sophisticated but reality TV programming is causing actors to no longer be gainfully employed. The networks are all about the cheaply produced reality shows versus network shows that require bigger salaries/budgets. Personally, I wonder what the TV scene will look like in couple of years. Proctologists of NY? Garbage men of Malibu? Even TLC and Discovery Channel are producing reality TV. It is kind of scary that people are becoming "stars" because they drink, fight, act like an an a$$, pop out babies willy nilly. If I was an Academy Award winning actress, worked at my craft for many years just to see a bunch of nobodies become famous, I think I'd be pissed off too.
    Florimel, Debb70 and AlwaysVeg like this.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

    Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

  3. #9133
    Teach your children Uncle David's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    On the edge
    Posts
    6,289

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by JunkieGirl View Post
    The networks are all about the cheaply produced reality shows versus network shows that require bigger salaries/budgets.
    I have this debate with friends all the time. The reality is, there is plenty of great television still being produced today. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Justified, Homeland, Shameless, and those are just a few on cable tv. On network tv the dramas and comedies still out number reality tv shows by a wide margin. (make a list of the prime time airings for the week on any of the four networks) Where the flaw in the argument comes in to play is when people attempt to factor in cable channels like Bravo, E, VH1, MTV etc. Reality tv isn't taking the place of episodic television. The ever expanding number of cable channels is just providing more venues for airing more shows.

    Do people in traditional episodic network television get paid less? Yes! But there are those who would argue that they were overpaid to begin with.

    If Whoopie has a problem with the direction television programming has taken perhaps she should look to herself. After all, it's The View, and shows like it, that have driven daytime dramas to the edge of extinction.
    Shoepie likes this.
    The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.

  4. #9134
    I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Where the Thunder Rolls
    Posts
    2,278

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    I have this debate with friends all the time. The reality is, there is plenty of great television still being produced today. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Justified, Homeland, Shameless, and those are just a few on cable tv. On network tv the dramas and comedies still out number reality tv shows by a wide margin. (make a list of the prime time airings for the week on any of the four networks) Where the flaw in the argument comes in to play is when people attempt to factor in cable channels like Bravo, E, VH1, MTV etc. Reality tv isn't taking the place of episodic television. The ever expanding number of cable channels is just providing more venues for airing more shows.

    Do people in traditional episodic network television get paid less? Yes! But there are those who would argue that they were overpaid to begin with.

    If Whoopie has a problem with the direction television programming has taken perhaps she should look to herself. After all, it's The View, and shows like it, that have driven daytime dramas to the edge of extinction.
    A few questions Uncle David? Which is the fourth network you are referring to? I was referring to the big 3: ABC, CBS and NBC.

    Are you Canadian or American?

    You have these kind of discussions with your friends? What do they think of you being on a forum site discussing reality shows? Are your friends reality show watchers or do they think that these types of shows are trashy television?

    I remember when I first joined this site. There were a few shows that were quite popular, yet there were very few people I knew in real life who watched them. That's why I came here, to be able to talk about the shows I liked watching. I couldn't understand why the people I knew thought these types of shows were "garbage TV", some only felt that they watched shows that "made them think" or only shows that were on the Discovery Channel or PBS. Trust me, these people weren't MENSA material or were snobs of any kind. It was weird way back then when reality Tv first came out. Nowadays I have found some people who do like shows such as Survivor, Big Brother, American Idol. Back then, not so much. It was almost like a secret one had to keep. Including the fact that I was on a website. Today it's not so bad, plus I can wow them with my behind the scenes knowledge. LOL

    Your point about Whoopie joining the View, isn't that kinda making this conversation go around in circles? LOL
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

    Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

  5. #9135
    FORT Fogey Dragonlady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    Posts
    3,912

    Re: The View

    JunkieGirl, I completely understand what you're saying here...same thing has happened to me with friends.
    I really think people do watch these shows but never admit it to others. And I don't think they are snobs but feel that they shouldn't admit about watching them because others will judge them and think they are shallow. I think a lot of people do that.
    Nowadays, I could care less what people think about what I watch on tv. I'm confident enough with my education, knowledge of current events and my beliefs that I've come to with age and experience to not care what others think. If they can't see me as a whole package, then who needs them?

  6. #9136
    FORT Fogey cablejockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    1,761

    Re: The View

    I agree about people not admitting they watch tv for various reasons. I have a friend who everytime I talk about a tv show or character on one, always dismisses me with 'I dont watch tv, I wouldnt know about that' and I always reply, 'aww too bad, your'e missing some good stuff'.
    I love certain shows and dont mind 'wasting' the time to watch--its not as if I am going to find a cure for cancer or something if I dont!
    JunkieGirl and bee stung lips like this.

  7. #9137
    Live-Love-Laugh Fanny Mare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    22,153

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
    I agree about people not admitting they watch tv for various reasons. I have a friend who everytime I talk about a tv show or character on one, always dismisses me with 'I dont watch tv, I wouldnt know about that' and I always reply, 'aww too bad, your'e missing some good stuff'.
    I love certain shows and dont mind 'wasting' the time to watch--its not as if I am going to find a cure for cancer or something if I dont!
    I was on another forum, and we had ONE girl that never watched reality TV .Didn't watch Dr Phil etc etc either, but my goddess she knew a lot about them for someone who never watched.
    cablejockey and JunkieGirl like this.
    The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
    -Andy Rooney-

  8. #9138
    I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Where the Thunder Rolls
    Posts
    2,278

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I was on another forum, and we had ONE girl that never watched reality TV .Didn't watch Dr Phil etc etc either, but my goddess she knew a lot about them for someone who never watched.
    Isn't that interesting? They don't watch, or see 5 minutes of a show or see snippets on entertainment shows and yet know all there is to know? lol I've met a few of those too.

    I re-read my post and must answer my own question about the 4th network. Wow! What a maroon I am. LOL. Totally forgot about FOX. Major brain fart.

    I'm curious how many of you do discuss the shows you watch with friends? Personally, I think it is fun to watch together, eat, drink and discuss faves/non faves.

    As for Whoopi, maybe she is a snob or thinks she is above all these reality people. Maybe she is jealous. Who knows? She sure doesn't pretend to like these people. Apparently she isn't watching even tho Sherri is on. Just because you work with someone doesn't mean you have to participate in everything your co worker does. At least she is sticking to her principles on this. I like that.
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

    Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

  9. #9139
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    13,531

    Re: The View

    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle David View Post
    I have this debate with friends all the time. The reality is, there is plenty of great television still being produced today. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Justified, Homeland, Shameless, and those are just a few on cable tv. On network tv the dramas and comedies still out number reality tv shows by a wide margin. (make a list of the prime time airings for the week on any of the four networks) Where the flaw in the argument comes in to play is when people attempt to factor in cable channels like Bravo, E, VH1, MTV etc. Reality tv isn't taking the place of episodic television. The ever expanding number of cable channels is just providing more venues for airing more shows.

    Do people in traditional episodic network television get paid less? Yes! But there are those who would argue that they were overpaid to begin with.

    If Whoopie has a problem with the direction television programming has taken perhaps she should look to herself. After all, it's The View, and shows like it, that have driven daytime dramas to the edge of extinction.

    I agree. There are plenty of choices in tv programing. Whoopies irritation is better placed with the viewer, not the programing. Is she saying that networks should abandon the high rated reality shows for larger budget series to keep actors/stars employed? What is that saying?!

  10. #9140
    FORT Fogey cablejockey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    ontario canada
    Posts
    1,761

    Re: The View

    Half the fun of watching is sharing with others! Thats why I love to discuss certain shows online. You get hear other viewpoints, insights and some very funny remarks. Before the internet, it was kind of lonely watching some stuff having no one to talk about it with, or even a few friends to gab with about All My Children and such--I love what you can do today.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.