+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1811Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I don't think ANYONE should use that word, but as a white person, I'm not going to tell African-Americans what words they should or should not use in what contexts if referring to themselves or each other. I think that would be disrespectful. I don't understand it, but again, I don't think I need to. I live in the South, and any time I have heard anyone use that word, I am all over them, and I don't care what they think of me. However, I do wish that word would just die off and not be used again, ever, the same as all other racial and religious slurs against people. I just think Sherri could have handled it a whole lot more intelligently. She's entitled to her feelings, and if it upsets her to hear a white person use that word, even if in relation to reporting an incident of which that word is a prominent part, so be it. Sherri, though, seemed to attack Barbara personally, and that was the problem for me. She said when Barbara said the word, she said it differently than when Whoopie said the word, implying that Barbara was saying it in an insulting or disrespectful manner, and I sincerely doubt that. Now people on other boards are saying that BW is a closet racist and making other similar accusations, all because of what Sherri said. All Sherri needed to have said was that it upsets her to hear white people use that word, no matter what the context, and let it go at that. It was the personal attack that was offensive, and I think BW handled it very well. She could have said if Sherri truly thinks she's a racist or had any racist intentions, maybe she should go find herself another job!
    cablejockey likes this.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

What I thought Sherri was implying was that BW's saying the word was like fingernails on a chalkboard to her ears. There is a difference in pronunciation, and it can bring up the ugly past in some people's eyes/ears. Anyway, that was the impression I got....that different people say things different ways.

Moving on..........I was surprised at what I learned about Herman Cain today. When he ran down his resume, I was pleasantly amazed and informed. I hadn't bothered to learn anything about him until now. It was interesting....and, no...I would never vote for him. #1 he's a Baptist minister (assistant pastor of his church, I believe), and they tend to have ways of thinking that I don't agree with, if he's one of those "dyed in the wool" old school Baptists. He thinks homosexuality is a choice; wouldn't that imply that heterosexuality is a choice, also? I don't know....I got hung up on that point. I'm going to watch his segment again.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysVeg View Post
    All Sherri needed to have said was that it upsets her to hear white people use that word, no matter what the context, and let it go at that. It was the personal attack that was offensive, and I think BW handled it very well. !
    Exactly - it was clear that's why she was upset especially when she couldn't even even acknowlege the statement - she had the vacant look on her face when Babs said that.....Babs did handle it very well.

prhoshay - I'm not sure that's what she meant. In the context of the conversation, I'm not sure how Babs could've said it that it wouldn't have upset Sheri. She certainly didn't say it like she implied she said it.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

FORT Fogey

After reading about the issue here, I went to watch it on-line. I think the problem with the point Sherri was making, which Whoopi tried to point out (and Elizabeth bone-headedly said too) was that she was expecting people to behave a certain way based on how it makes her feel, when they had no way of knowing before how she felt. No one can read her mind, so she can't expect them to act in a way that will never upset her. What Sherri didn't seem to consider was that what she was saying made Barbara feel a certain way too. Barbara felt attacked, and Sherri didn't seem to appreciate that. I wish Whoopi or Barbara would have pointed that out to Sherri so that Sherri could see first-hand that its impossible to behave in way that makes other people feel good when you can't read their minds.

FORT Fogey

I agree, plus Sherri then went on to actually act all offended when Barbara said she had no idea that Sherri felt that way. Sherri then said in a very condescending way that Barbara has known her all these years and yet didn't know how she felt about this one particular issue, like how could that be! Must be because Barbara Walters is a really privileged white woman who can't be bothered to get to know her! I hope Babs gave it to her after the show, because she really deserved it! I'm not a huge Babs fan, but she really didn't deserve to be treated that way, especially by the person who hired her despite the fact that she is generally a knucklehead who adds nothing to the show! (And BW can kick Elisatwit off right after that, although E'twit seems to be keeping a lid on it so far this season.)
    Debb70 likes this.

This show really needs to get rid of Sheri - she's been making a fool out of herself long enough. As much as I don't like Lizzybitch, she at least brings some intelligence to the panel, something I can't say for Sheri.
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

What gets me is that the panel usually comes up with current stories about various events and for the most part they don't know squat about it. They throw in a few general comments and often get the facts wrong. Then Whoopi will say that's all on that topic today, but we will keep you updated on the that story. Really? They don't know as much as about the story as most viewers. I would never rely on them to keep me updated on a news story. It's kind of funny. Do you think they really believe they are well informed on these stories? Joy has gotten better, because she does her night talk show and gets a fair amount of information that way, but overall, it's pretty funny.
    cablejockey likes this.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    What gets me is that the panel usually comes up with current stories about various events and for the most part they don't know squat about it. They throw in a few general comments and often get the facts wrong. Then Whoopi will say that's all on that topic today, but we will keep you updated on the that story. Really? They don't know as much as about the story as most viewers. I would never rely on them to keep me updated on a news story. It's kind of funny. Do you think they really believe they are well informed on these stories? Joy has gotten better, because she does her night talk show and gets a fair amount of information that way, but overall, it's pretty funny.
    I agree with you, I hope people dont get their news from this lot! Behar has been wrong about Canada many times, I want to reach through the screen and !!! Elizabeth is more informed than Behar is( ouch) that hurt to say

Quote Originally Posted by Fanny Mare View Post
    I agree with you, I hope people dont get their news from this lot! Behar has been wrong about Canada many times, I want to reach through the screen and !!! Elizabeth is more informed than Behar is( ouch) that hurt to say
    Hmmmmm....we'll have to disagree about that one. LOL Many times I have wanted to correct Elisabeth. I wonder why their research teams don't do that. Like the time Elisabeth went on about how Charlie Sheen had never been convicted of a crime. He had pleaded guilty to assault just the previous year. Oh well. I'm used to it now.

Animals over People :) Fanny Mare's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70 View Post
    Hmmmmm....we'll have to disagree about that one. LOL Many times I have wanted to correct Elisabeth. I wonder why their research teams don't do that. Like the time Elisabeth went on about how Charlie Sheen had never been convicted of a crime. He had pleaded guilty to assault just the previous year. Oh well. I'm used to it now.
    Its an entertainment show, maybe we expect too much .LOL They have all been wrong.I was talking about Joys geography, its really pretty bad.

+ Reply to Thread