+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree983Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fogey

Re: The View

I think that Barbara has been oddly dismayed by some of the advances that have been made by other women in the industry. It's kind of like an athlete who achieves greatness, breaks records, and then after retiring, those records are broken by someone else. If the athlete has built all of his or her self-worth on being a record holder, its devestating. Barbara for so long was on a perch alone as this great pioneer for women in journalism. When you look at things like how Harry Reasoner disrepected her, I think the respect she got was well deserved. But now, women like Katie Couric, Diane Sawyer, and Oprah are also doing great things for women in journalism, and are advancing past what Barbara did. They're gracious in acknowleding that Barbara paved the way to allow them to get where they are. But it seems like Barbara is dissapointed that anyone passed her.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by AcookerTV View Post
    I think that Barbara has been oddly dismayed by some of the advances that have been made by other women in the industry. It's kind of like an athlete who achieves greatness, breaks records, and then after retiring, those records are broken by someone else. If the athlete has built all of his or her self-worth on being a record holder, its devestating. Barbara for so long was on a perch alone as this great pioneer for women in journalism. When you look at things like how Harry Reasoner disrepected her, I think the respect she got was well deserved. But now, women like Katie Couric, Diane Sawyer, and Oprah are also doing great things for women in journalism, and are advancing past what Barbara did. They're gracious in acknowleding that Barbara paved the way to allow them to get where they are. But it seems like Barbara is dissapointed that anyone passed her.
    I agree. What happened with Harry Reasoner?

FORT Fogey

He didn't like that he had to co-anchor with a woman, and disrepected her on and off the air. He'd insist on all these rules like he had to be the first to speak, etc so the audience would know that he was in charge. It was kind of like the movie Anchorman, but not funny.

FORT Fogey

Oh yes, I remember that now. Thanks

FORT Fogey

That's interesting about Barbara's view of Oprah.

She did an odd interview with Cynthia McFadden on Nightline about Oprah and her legacy. She said something like, "Oprah shows her heart, she encourages people, she laughs and she cries with everybody, she's a great performer." Then Cynthia asked her who would fill the void and be that voice now, and she said Lady Gaga.

I thought it was strange to refer to Oprah as a performer, and then to make the Lady Gaga comparison was even more surprising. I know Lady Gaga is on top of the Forbes list, but for how long? Music is so disposable these days.

I just found her responses to be very weird. But if she's disappointed that she's being surpassed, then it does make sense that she would feel this way about Oprah.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by SpringMaiden27 View Post
    That's interesting about Barbara's view of Oprah.

She did an odd interview with Cynthia McFadden on Nightline about Oprah and her legacy. She said something like, "Oprah shows her heart, she encourages people, she laughs and she cries with everybody, she's a great performer." Then Cynthia asked her who would fill the void and be that voice now, and she said Lady Gaga.
    I thought it was strange to refer to Oprah as a performer, and then to make the Lady Gaga comparison was even more surprising. I know Lady Gaga is on top of the Forbes list, but for how long? Music is so disposable these days.

I just found her responses to be very weird. But if she's disappointed that she's being surpassed, then it does make sense that she would feel this way about Oprah.
    This exchange is dripping with distain and appauling. Her behind the scenes behavior, on Oprah, was distasteful, as well.

I am not sure who Barbara's fans are. I know my mother loved her but she watched her with Dave Garaway on Today. So perhaps those in their 70's and 80's? However if my mother were alive today I think she would share my opinion.

FORT Fogey

Babs needs to retire. Interviews were her strong point, but now on the show she is not even good at that anymore. She interrupts the guests, doesn't let them talk, acts haughty and has to take over every interview. Even at the table, she's clueless half the time and the other half of the time she's the master of the obvious. I also can't stand the way she waves her clawlike hands around. Since the time she was a female pioneer in TV journalism, other female journalists have far surpassed her in skill, talent, and depth of reporting and interviewing. I think she was really irritating Katie Couric the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by shoepie View Post
    This exchange is dripping with distain and appauling
    You left out "dripping with envy" too. Sounds like Babs is jealous of Oprah's success.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22 View Post
    Babs needs to retire. Interviews were her strong point, but now on the show she is not even good at that anymore. She interrupts the guests, doesn't let them talk, acts haughty and has to take over every interview. Even at the table, she's clueless half the time and the other half of the time she's the master of the obvious. I also can't stand the way she waves her clawlike hands around. Since the time she was a female pioneer in TV journalism, other female journalists have far surpassed her in skill, talent, and depth of reporting and interviewing. I think she was really irritating Katie Couric the other day.
    Yes, love the phasing "master of the obvious." It is soooo irritating. She has manekin hands straight out of Macy's window dislplay. They don't ariticlate; they just move on their own, unrelated to anything coming from her mouth.

And yes, chenoa, I did forget dripping with envy.

shoes? who needs shoes?? barefootdyke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22 View Post
    ...I also can't stand the way she waves her clawlike hands around...
    THANK YOU!!! i was just telling my daughter that someone needs to handcuff her hands to her chair or something.

+ Reply to Thread