+ Reply to Thread
Page 86 of 1094 FirstFirst ... 367677787980818283848586878889909192939495961361865861086 ... LastLast
Results 851 to 860 of 10931
Like Tree1321Likes

Thread: The View

  1. #851
    I HATE You! Dogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    5,286
    she couldn't walk away anyway on her own if she is under contract.

    what's gonna happen is that they are gonna end up firing her shortly after queen Rosie arrives.

    the 1st major conflict them two have won't lead to some rediculous cuddle session on the couch after a commercial break.

    Elisabeth is trying to stick it out, she realized a long time ago that them other ladies will never truly respect any of her "views" on any topic with real meaning. If it's fluff as you say, then Elisabeth is there best friend.

    if they end up dropping her off the show, that won't look very good for Barb and co.

  2. #852
    Fool... but no pity. Krom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    21,565
    How about the novel concept of having EQUAL numbers of people from each philosophy, including some moderates? (putting nothing but opposed radicals on makes for spectacular TV, sure, but not a very intelligent debate).

    Mind you, I think Elisabeth's ranting about the Morning After pill was pretty distasteful, but there's no real debate on this show. None.

    Actually, why are we even pretending intelligent equitable discourse is possible on this show. It's not. Is the Al Franken radio show balanced? A Chris Matthews broadcast? No, and no. This is no different, I guess, and maybe we should just leave it at that. We should just accept what this program is, I guess, and either watch it or not depending on our individual philosophies. I mean if Rosie O'Donell makes you want to upchuck, I doubt Elisabeth's continuing presense is going stop that vomit.

    "You don't rehearse Mr. T, you just turn him loose."
    -----Sylvester Stallone, on Mr. T-----

  3. #853
    FORT Fogey Muduh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    7,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogg View Post
    she couldn't walk away anyway on her own if she is under contract.

    what's gonna happen is that they are gonna end up firing her shortly after queen Rosie arrives.

    the 1st major conflict them two have won't lead to some rediculous cuddle session on the couch after a commercial break.

    Elisabeth is trying to stick it out, she realized a long time ago that them other ladies will never truly respect any of her "views" on any topic with real meaning. If it's fluff as you say, then Elisabeth is there best friend.

    if they end up dropping her off the show, that won't look very good for Barb and co.
    I agree with some points that both you and Veruka have made. I also thought of the fact that she probably wouldn't walk out on her contract. I'm not sure how much longer that is, but that would be a perfect time to leave. I can not see her on the show after Rosie gets there. She isn't allowed an opinion NOW, so what would change for the better when a big mouth know it all is added to the mix? And as Veruka said, she probably feels an obligation to stand up for her views but I doubt that she will be able to do that indefinitely. How many of us would keep voicing our opinion knowing that we were going to get slapped down regularly?

  4. #854
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    Second, I tend to wonder if at this point, Elizabeth could walk away on her own and still save face. If she were to get some sort of solo gig, perhaps hosting a show on HGTV or The Style Network, she may be able to spin that as such a great opportunity she couldn't refuse it.
    That would be a step back for her, as she already did "The Look for Less" on The Style Network for a couple of seasons. But she was extremely well suited for that and did a great job.

  5. #855
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    Quote Originally Posted by Krom View Post
    How about the novel concept of having EQUAL numbers of people from each philosophy, including some moderates? (putting nothing but opposed radicals on makes for spectacular TV, sure, but not a very intelligent debate).

    Actually, why are we even pretending intelligent equitable discourse is possible on this show. It's not. Is the Al Franken radio show balanced? A Chris Matthews broadcast? No, and no. This is no different, I guess, and maybe we should just leave it at that. We should just accept what this program is, I guess, and either watch it or not depending on our individual philosophies.
    You know, the shame of it is, Krom, that it USED to be possible. They had some fabulous discussions between Meredith, Star, Joy, and Lisa back before the participants got a little too big for their britches. But in order to have intelligent, calm, rational discussions about topics, political or otherwise, you have to have intelligent, calm, rational people participating. These women no longer qualify.

  6. #856
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164
    Quote Originally Posted by Broadway View Post
    That would be a step back for her, as she already did "The Look for Less" on The Style Network for a couple of seasons. But she was extremely well suited for that and did a great job.
    I definitely agree that she'd have to find JUST the right show to present it as a chance she couldn't refuse (like Lisa Ling with the National Geographic gig). The more likely option for her may be to have another baby. Then, she could say that with two kids, she wanted to be home to spend more time with them.

    Krom - I think there is an essential difference to acknowledge when attempting to compare The View to Hardball or Al Franken. The View is produced under the ABC Daytime / entertainment umbrella. It is not treated by ABC as a news show ... and it shouldn't be produced like one.

  7. #857
    FORT Fogey GabbyG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    1,059
    I wonder if they will be able to find enough shows without Star to last for the whole month?

  8. #858
    FORT Fan laura000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    399
    The lady from 20/20 who is Al Roker's wife (I forgot her name) - is she in the running to replace Star Jones? If so, isn't her job on 20/20 a better paid one, or would she get paid more co hosting the view?

  9. #859
    FORT Fogey
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    8,164
    Quote Originally Posted by laura000 View Post
    The lady from 20/20 who is Al Roker's wife (I forgot her name) - is she in the running to replace Star Jones? If so, isn't her job on 20/20 a better paid one, or would she get paid more co hosting the view?
    I don't know if Deborah Roberts is in the running or not, but I think she'd be very good. She'd be able to bring a couple of life experiences to the table that aren't being represented right now - incluidng being a step parent. I think that she's majorly under-used by ABC right now, so I think I'd like to see that!

    As for the pay - that would be up to ABC. I would venture to guess that if she were a constant member of an ensemble as she'd be on The View, rather than a replacable contributor as she is now, she'd have a good argument for higher pay.

    I've heard some rumors that GMA is trying hard to court Al Roker to leave Today and come over to GMA. I've wondered how Deborah's role at ABC could contribute to that happening or not happening. It'd be interesting to see that play out.

  10. #860
    Scrappy Spartan Broadway's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    18,963
    I agree, Veruka. I think Deborah Roberts would be a highly capable, and highly credible cohost. They could use that at the moment.

    laura... according to producers, they aren't even beginning their interview process for replacements so we don't know who's in the running.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.