Thread: The View

Re: The View

Didn't see the View today.
    Did Whoopi apologize for yesterday?
    She's been skewered in the press.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

President Obama's press conference pre-empted The View, in its entirety.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer.

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Thanks, Shay.

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4194016;
    I have not heard Whoopi's comments in full. I do agree, after reading the piece, that it seems to slight her. The article includes most all other black Oscar winners, save Goldberg, Louis Gosset Jr, and Cuba Gooding, Jr. I find it odd that so much attention would be paid to Halle Barry and Denzel Washington, but not to the others. (Mo'Nique is listed and Push is mentioned again.) They even mention Oprah as a nominee. If you are going to list nominees who didn't win, then at least list all of those who have.

If I were writing an artice on that topic, I would certainly make it a priorty to list all Black Oscar Winners. To ignore a few is just rude or ignorant. I"m not sure which. I completely see where Whoopi is coming from. She is very proud of her award and so to be repeatedly slighed from that recognition is just insulting.
    This wasn't an Entertainment Tonight celebrity puff piece designed to inflate her ego. It was a piece of serious journalism examining a cultural issue. It cited names where appropriate and in other places cited statistics. Nothing wrong with that.

Bottom line: The View co-hosts charged the writers and their editors with getting the facts wrong. That is a serious charge to a journalist(not that I would expect anyone on this show to understand that) and an apology is due. I saw the first 15-20 minutes of the show today and until that point, none was offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4194016;
    I have not heard Whoopi's comments in full. I do agree, after reading the piece, that it seems to slight her. The article includes most all other black Oscar winners, save Goldberg, Louis Gosset Jr, and Cuba Gooding, Jr. I find it odd that so much attention would be paid to Halle Barry and Denzel Washington, but not to the others. (Mo'Nique is listed and Push is mentioned again.) They even mention Oprah as a nominee. If you are going to list nominees who didn't win, then at least list all of those who have.

If I were writing an artice on that topic, I would certainly make it a priorty to list all Black Oscar Winners. To ignore a few is just rude or ignorant. I"m not sure which. I completely see where Whoopi is coming from. She is very proud of her award and so to be repeatedly slighed from that recognition is just insulting.
    Really makes you wonder if it was just a mistake (which could happen) or if there was more to it and why. Just seems odd to leave out one name when there's not a lot to list.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4192725;
    [mod edit]
    Regarding Babs, her weight gain has nothing to do with the lack of facial sags and wrinkles. The woman is 81, and her face looks 20 years younger! Obviously she's had work done ... more than once.
    I disagree also. Last year I lost 15 pounds. One would think that was great and it is nice to stop obsessing about those extra pounds and comfortably fit into all my clothes. Problem is I wish I had done it when I was younger. At this age, my skin doesn't have the elasticity it once had so it doesn't just "snap" back. It remains as excess skin and without the extra fat to plump it up, wrinkles, crepey-ness, sagging remains. And not just in the face. Everywhere (darn it!).
    So to me, if Barbara has gained weight her face will definitely reflect that. And although her she looks really good, there is a frailness about her that reveals her age, including how she holds her body. But she does seem un-stoppable.

I think the NY Times article was technically correct, but you had to read and reread the facts in order to fully undertand what they were saying. The article was misleading. That is clear.

When after one reading the reader is misinformed, because the article was so poorly written, what does that say about the writer or editor? IMO you would have to use clever language and try to have that effect in order to achieve it. Was it dumb luck? I don't know. As I stated, it was igorance or intentional insult. Either way, it's not good.

I have heard serious criticism of the NY Times for years and have always defended them. I held them in high regard and thought the acusations must be based on bias, lies, or confusion by the person making the claim. This may be because usually it's conservatives making the claims and I'm quite liberal, as I thought the NY Times was. Perhaps I need to give it some thought. This Oscar issue may be a small one, but it puts the NY Times in a very poor light IMO.

Oh, I haven't heard anything negative about Whoopi's complaint in the media. I think most people can certainly relate to her hurt feelings. I appreciate it when people stand up for what they believe is right.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady;4195341;
    So to me, if Barbara has gained weight her face will definitely reflect that. And although her she looks really good, there is a frailness about her that reveals her age, including how she holds her body. But she does seem un-stoppable.
    Barbara has had facial plastic surgery ... i.e., facelifts ... at least twice in her lifetime. We're talking about two entirely different issues.

FORT Newbie

After discussing Denzel Washington's and Halle Berry's wins in 2001, including excerpts of their acceptance speeches, the Times' article continues:

"Real change seemed to have come to movies or at least the Academy, which had given statuettes to a total of seven black actors in the previous 73 years. After Mr. Washington and Ms. Berry, there would be Jamie Foxx and Forest Whitaker (both best actors); Morgan Freeman (best supporting actor); Jennifer Hudson and Mo’Nique (best supporting actresses)."

I don't understand what's hard to understand in that. Clearly, "a total of seven black actors in the previous 73 years" refers to the time "previous" to 2001, not all time, as it was interpereted on The View.

The apology did come today. Albeit, brief and buried in the middle of the show.

She apologized for calling the article "shoddy" - why can't people apologize for what they're really supposed to be sorry for?? Typical The View apology. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt....
    No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible. George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

I watched the show today, and if there was an apology, I sure missed it.
    I've read that article 3 times and don''t see it as shoddy, at all.
    I used to think Whoopi was the voice of reason amidst the cacophony of nonsense that the View has descended to.
    I'm sorry to say that she seems to have descended to their level.

+ Reply to Thread