+ Reply to Thread
Page 85 of 1101 FirstFirst ... 357576777879808182838485868788899091929394951351855851085 ... LastLast
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

I personally think it is a sign of the times. For me, (politically conservative) when I watch the View, even the things they think are entertainment, smacks of a political agenda. The "news" they discuss, the actors they bring on (and end up discussing politics) I just want to say...Shut up and sing. Or Shut up and act. Or Shut up and dance.

As for CNN, I haven't watched it or MSN for years now.

The issues we face as a nation have polarized our views and since the VIEW wants to provide a voice for those, its caused a different kind of tension than 8 years ago.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    Here's an idea! Let's all just discuss cupcakes, cute baby stories, cute marital stories and be done with it!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    Here's an idea! Let's all just discuss cupcakes, cute baby stories, cute marital stories and be done with it!
    NO! lets argue

Veruka & Kaky preach

although i don't care one bit about this show, i usually catch it on in the break room a couple times week and i just don't see why they are going through so much trouble for Rosie.

She's loud and abrasive and has a 2 track mind. So she got an emmy, so what? She not funny imo.

i bet Barbara won't be shushing Rosie when she goes on her daily political rants.

Hilarious article about Elisabeth at ew.com:

1. Elisabeth Hasselbeck, The Terror of The View
    (ABC)
    Last week, the inarticulate mouse of The View suddenly became the primary reason to watch the show. First, on Aug. 2, she went off on a gibbering tirade about the evil of the morning-after birth-control pill, to the point where Barbara Walters had to tell her to calm down. Two days later, she revealed the harsh mistress beneath her genial thoughtlessness by telling an anecdote about encountering a babysitter whom Hasselbeck felt was neglecting her young charges on a New York City street. She freely admitted to yelling at the young woman and read a description of her (she'd taken notes!) so that the girl would be identified and fired... and so, presumably, would scores of other babysitters who may have fit that description. Woe unto you should you be the luckless waitress, taxi driver, or other service employee who does not behave as Ms. Hasselbeck thinks you should. She seems like one of those people whose TV prominence has made them just arrogant enough to think they wield the power to get someone terminated. Dubious human; great TV.

Well obviously the author of that article is just as biased as I am.

I don't see Elisabeth as being inarticulate, or a mouse. Her opinions are not welcome on the View for sure, but that doesn't mean that she can't state them. That show is no place for an opinionated young christian woman. Surely she can see that her days are numbered there and move on before she gets the "Star" treatment.

I hardly think that you can compare waitresses and taxi drivers with a person who has left two helpless babies on a city street, unattended. I even doubt that Elisabeth would expect the service personnel to behave as she thinks that they should. I do think that she is correct in being incensed that someone would leave the babies for whatever reason.

If Ms careless sitter gets terminated, so be it. She should not be in charge of defenseless children.

I have a hard time believing Elisabeth's "abandoned" children story.
    It seems a bit coincidental to me that a couple of days after she argues that using Plan B is the same as leaving a child on the street she finds two children left of the street.
    The whole story lacked a certain ring of truth to me.

I can't see her leaivng the show of her own accord unless things get to the point that they're utterly unbearable for her.
    She does a pretty good job with the fashion and food pieces (although she'll never eat anything).
    I doubt she has many other irons in the fire and I can't see many shows clamouring for her services if The View boots her off.
    I also think that with Meredith leaving, Star getting the heave-ho and Rosie coming on board the show is really going through a transitional phase. They might want Rosie and whoever replaces Star to settle in before they introduce another new face.
    Last edited by fluff; 08-07-2006 at 11:57 AM.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    You're right. She's fine with the "fluff stuff" (no pun intended), but that's about all her true talent encases. How many of us want another hour filled with fluff? Some of us do enjoy issues, you know.

My previous post was facetious, in case anybody didn't know.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by fluff View Post
    I doubt she has many other irons in the fire and I can't see many shows clamouring for her services if The View boots her off.
    That may not really be an issue for her. The league minimum pay for a playe with 4-6 years experience (Tim has 5) is $540,000. So I doubt their family is in a situation where Elizabeth NEEDS to work. Not to mention that while there may not be multiple networks clamoring to pick her up, there are all sorts of opportunities for Elizabeth to get work as a spokesperson for causes she cares about - right to life organizations, Christian motivational speaker, etc. Given the number of reality show has beens who make a living off of that having nothing but one run on a reality show, I think she could probably find work, even if it's not as strongly in the spotlight. And if the stories of her family being stalked are true as reported earlier in the year, she may not WANT to be as much in the spotlight.

I don't for a moment believe that she made up the story about the babies. I don't think that would even occur to her.

I agree that there is probably another job that would be a much better fit for her. This one is NOT it any more and will get even more intolerable when Rosie's mouth takes over.

I would like to suggest to Elisabeth that she get together with a voice coach, or whoever she needs to help her be more enjoyable to listen to. She talks so fast and runs her words together so that often I can't understand what she's saying. She likes the design and fashion end of things so there may be an opening for her there. I just want her to leave on her terms, and not Barbara's because we have seen that that can get ugly.

FORT Fogey
    Muduh, I've been thinking about it since you first mentioned it, and I'm coming around to agreeing with you that Elizabeths' best move would be to just walk away from the show. But I don't think I see that happening for a couple of reasons.

First, I think that in Elizabeth's mind, she's got some sort of obligation to be there to voice her views "for those who think the same way". I could see her thinking (rightfully so) that if she wasn't there, than views like hers would not be heard. It seems like there are a lot of staunchly pro-life women who feel some sort of moral obligation to voice their views, and I can see Elizabeth being one of those.

Second, I tend to wonder if at this point, Elizabeth could walk away on her own and still save face. If she were to get some sort of solo gig, perhaps hosting a show on HGTV or The Style Network, she may be able to spin that as such a great opportunity she couldn't refuse it. But I don't see her getting the sort of "adventure job" that lured Lisa Ling away, and without some sort of major job change, I don't think that Elizabeth could spin it as anything other than "I was out-talked and I surrender". At this point, she may be in too deep to be able to leave on her own terms.

+ Reply to Thread