+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4182672;
    Of course she's allowed to state her opinion. If everyone sat there mute, there'd be no show. Her attack was personal and her reaction over-the-top and way more than Maher's brief joke deserved. She should be thankful to be considered politically important enough for anyone to make fun of for 10 seconds, because to me she is nothing more than a petulant little brat who has been singled out by a particular party faction to use a national daytime TV platform to spout off on issues she doesn't even understand. Was it big news to her that Maher doesn't agree with the politics she espouses, or that someone who is actually smart, creative and informed finds her useless and annoying? Because of a brief joke she didn't like, that makes him "not a man"? Better that she had come back at him in a humorous manner as well, instead of all that righteous indignation. Her diatribe against Maher was completely immature and therefore, IMO, ineffective. Someone needs to teach her to express herself in a more calm and mature manner. I can't believe Barbara Walters puts up with such crap on her show.
    Great post. I like the part about her being a petulant little brat. It is true.

Oh, I did see the end of Barb's special about people who have recovered from serious heart conditions. I liked what I saw. I specifically want to view it again to get the entire show. One of the men she featured was Charlie Rose. (Journalist and highly respected by anyone I ever heard speak of him.) He is from my hometown in NC. Does anyone know how you can find those shows to rerun. I wasn't able to locate it on Time Warner On Demand. Perhaps on-line?
    Did anyone else see it?
    Last edited by Debb70; 02-08-2011 at 10:43 AM.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4184170;
    IMO, she really isn't entirely stable. It's very like her to have an extreme reaction to a simple joke. I do think it would have been better for her to ignore it, why bring it to the attention of a new audience who might not have seen the original? If she was hoping the entertainment shows would pick it up so she could be seen in a sympathetic light, I doubt that would happen.
    I think her reaction is just another extension of her thinking she has some kind of kindred sisterhood with Sarah Palin. It's not enough just to take on Palin's mannerisms, she actuallty thinks she's in the same league as her when it comes to the prominence of their public profile.
    She really is one of the most ridiculous people on tv, imo.
    I don't know what she expected to achieve with that rant, but it made no sense to me. Bill Geddie needs to get over his silly crush on her and stop giving her rope to hang herself with if he's not going to open the trap door and get rid of her once and for all.
    Does she want to be embroiled in a "celebrity" fued with Bill Maher? Good luck trying to take him on if he decides to keep it going. She would have been better to take the high road if she was going to mention it at all, rather than call him "Billy" and say that he isn't a man.

I'm sick of it too, but I really think that unless the subject is something they're really passionate about they just don't think it's worth the bother of taking her on. They saw the treatment Rosie got from the entertainment shows and "s***** cable shows". It's not worth it to take her on, particularly when she'll shriek over you and make snide comments and do everything she can to drown you out and possibly top it off by crying. Even Barbara has stepped back from commenting when Elisabeth ahs responded in a rude or aggressive manner or looked like she was about to entirely lose it.
    I did see Sherri get loud with her one time in trying to make a point. Elisabeth could find no response so just repeatedly told Sherri to "relax" in a very condescending manner although Sherri was responding to yet another of Elisabeth's comments where she displayed her terrible double-standards.

I have to add, I don't think any of the panellists is up to much.
    They're all poor interviewers, including Barbara, especially Barbara at times. They do no preparation for interviews, don't allow the interviewee to speak before interupting, don't listen to answers and aren't able to ask follow-on questions. If it isn't on their little blue cards or fed into their ear-pieces they're lost.
    They really need to ge rid of all of them and start afresh with actual journalists as opposed to comedians and a reality show contestant.
    I so agree with everything in your post, especially the bolded! (The part you attributed to Living, however, was actually written by me.)

FORT Regular

After reading all these comments about Elizabeth, I HAD to go watch the clip.

I was expecting to see her screaming and throwing a fit....didn't see it at all!

What I did see was someone who has hurt feelings over a joke, not rage, vitriol or instability.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky22;4184600;
    I so agree with everything in your post, especially the bolded! (The part you attributed to Living, however, was actually written by me.)
    Oh sorry, that's what I get for not double checking.

I think Elisabeth's a moron.
    She works with three (admittedly not always very funny) comedians, learn to take a damn joke.
    If her feelings are hurt, tough. She's deeply unpleasant and has said some cruel and unnecessary things over the years so if some of the crap she's put out rains back down on her occasionally, good.
    What would be really nice is if it made her check her behaviour, grow a little, think before she opens her mouth. Of course it won't, just like it wouldn't if it was any of the other panellists.
    It would be nice for her to consider why he made that joke, why he chose her as the subject and why people laughed at it. Of course she'll just boil it all down to biased "lefties".

I saw a clip of Bill responding to her comments on MSNBC.
    He said he made a joke that took 20 seconds and she had all weekend to get over it.
    I agree, toughen up and learn to take what you regularly dish out.
    Last edited by fluff; 02-09-2011 at 07:45 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by justhad2c;4184629;
    After reading all these comments about Elizabeth, I HAD to go watch the clip.

I was expecting to see her screaming and throwing a fit....didn't see it at all!

What I did see was someone who has hurt feelings over a joke, not rage, vitriol or instability.
    But she said her feelings weren't hurt. Joy asked her if she was responding because she had hurt feelings.... (I think Joy was wondering why she bothered to make a statement). As do I.

I watched the clip and I think her response was unwarranted. She was the punchline to a joke in Bill Maher's commentary. Big deal. Surely, many many democrats are punchlines in the plethora of fox news programs. (I wouldn't know as I don't subscribe to foxnews so haven't seen any of those programs, other than the few youtube clips).

The View women are often made fun of by late night comedians and SNL. No feelings should be hurt.

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingirl70;4185974;
    The View women are often made fun of by late night comedians and SNL. No feelings should be hurt.
    And sadly, Elizabeth is too stupid to realize that she is giving Maher even more comedic ammo to come at her with. She dug an even deeper grave for herself.

I'm sure Maher is going to have a ball with this one....teeheheee
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4185937;
    Oh sorry, that's what I get for not double checking.

I think Elisabeth's a moron.
    She works with three (admittedly not always very funny) comedians, learn to take a damn joke.
    If her feelings are hurt, tough. She's deeply unpleasant and has said some cruel and unnecessary things over the years so if some of the crap she's put out rains back down on her occasionally, good.
    What would be really nice is if it made her check her behaviour, grow a little, think before she opens her mouth. Of course it won't, just like it wouldn't if it was any of the other panellists.
    It would be nice for her to consider why he made that joke, why he chose her as the subject and why people laughed at it. Of course she'll just boil it all down to biased "lefties".

I saw a clip of Bill responding to her comments on MSNBC.
    He said he made a joke that took 20 seconds and she had all weekend to get over it.
    I agree, toughen up and learn to take what you regularly dish out.
    Perfectly stated! That's why I don't understand why Babs even let her go off like that, unless she figures any controversy involving panel members, up to and including over-the-top responses to minor jokes, is good publicity for the show. The most bizarre part of all this is E's total lack of awareness about her own cruel and mocking remarks about others and how what goes around comes around. Supposedly she had some epiphany a year or two ago, which she related on the show, about how a conversation with her daughter made her aware of the importance of tolerance and speaking kindly. Too bad that lesson lasted all of about five minutes for her. Comedians make fun of people, Elisabeth, especially when they ask for it by virtue of their own behavior. Put on your big girl pants and suck it up in a mature manner. How much more appropriate would it have been for her to either ignore it, or to respond in a joking manner herself.

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;4186066;
    And sadly, Elizabeth is too stupid to realize that she is giving Maher even more comedic ammo to come at her with. She dug an even deeper grave for herself.

I'm sure Maher is going to have a ball with this one....teeheheee
    I get the impression that she thinks if she speaks that's the end of the matter.

I remember when she introduced Sarah Palin at a rally in Florida she mentioned the whole wardrobe fiasco which had finally started to die down.
    Apparently she was told not to mention it at the other rallies that day, but she said on The View that her reason for mentioning it was to (paraphrasing) 'put an end to the talk/speculation/whatever'.

She also needs to stop thinking that any insult/joke levelled at a woman is automatically sexist. If the detained journalist had been male Maher might well have still made a similar joke but said the US would send a male right-winger to replace him instead.
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4188221;
    I get the impression that she thinks if she speaks that's the end of the matter.

I remember when she introduced Sarah Palin at a rally in Florida she mentioned the whole wardrobe fiasco which had finally started to die down.
    Apparently she was told not to mention it at the other rallies that day, but she said on The View that her reason for mentioning it was to (paraphrasing) 'put an end to the talk/speculation/whatever'.

She also needs to stop thinking that any insult/joke levelled at a woman is automatically sexist. If the detained journalist had been male Maher might well have still made a similar joke but said the US would send a male right-winger to replace him instead.
    She would prefer to think that rather than that the joke was levelled at her because she's such a blathering bratty buffoon.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

My spirits fell when Barbara walked onto the set today. I am so sick of looking at/hearing her. I swear she must have stolen a bottle of Lucy's Vita-Meata-Vegimin here, lately (remember the episode where Lucy snuck in to do a commercial, and she got drunk?)! She's just too energetic and peppy!!

And stupid Sherri, wanting people to pick out her shoes and wig for their appearance on Oprah tomorrow.....if you ask me, the shoes are totally dependent on what dress she is wearing; I don't know how you pick out shoes without seeing what dress she was wearing....black, I assume. The wig was a no-brainer.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread