+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1379Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4155130;
    It was Elisabeth who said it was his adopted son, Crit, but Babs didn't say anything in response to that as I recall. Odd considering she has an adopted daughter. I would have thought she'd be slightly offended by the distinction.
    Ah, okay. See how much I watch this show? That makes more sense, although I'm surprised she wasn't corrected.
    Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.' - Isaac Asimov

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"

I'm really curious as to what difference it would make if he was adopted???
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4155448;
    I agree. After much thought, I have determined that most people say Reagan was great because they heard someone else say it. They don't know what they are talking about. I was very young during his presidency and thought he was great. The reason why is that my parents said so. Of course, they were not well versed in politics. They just followed conservative political policy. Once I went to college and starting reading, listening to opposing views and having independent thought. I realized the truth. Please remind what was so great about Reagan again.
    I have an elderly aunt who, for years before she went into assisted living, actually had a shrine set up to him in her home. She constantly bemoaned the fact that her deceased husband's war commendation letter had not come from Reagan, as she thought he was the second coming...
    I remember when Reagan was CA's governor. IMO, he did more to destroy the state than any other.

I did not know the man, personally, but I had to agree with his son's assessment on the show. I do think he had the beginnings of dementia & Alzheimer's long before they mentioned the diagnosis. He acted / spoke much the way I remember family members, especially my aunt acting, long before their public diagnosis.
    To Thine Own Self Be True

Quote Originally Posted by Lil Bit;4155463;
    I'm really curious as to what difference it would make if he was adopted???
    It doesn't, or shouldn't, make any difference, but Elisabeth was cruelly trying to use the fact he was adopted (which he wasn't) to imply he didn't know Reagan well enough that anything negative he wrote about him would have any validity. That's the kind of spiteful peson she is.

Had he been a house guest of the Reagan's for all of a fortnight he'd still have had more personal contact with them than either Babs or Bitsy, both of whom seem to think they were bosom buddies with the man.

As they rarely if ever correct their mistakes I'm sure this won't be mentioned again so Elisabeth won't have to come up with any other reason why Ron's comments about his father shouldn't be taken seriously.

Babs seems to think interviewing someone gives her intimate knowledge of them that trumps that of family members or life-long friends.

I think she sold her soul for that interview with Palin on her Fascinating People "special". I don't think she's said a critical word of the woman since and seems to be going out of her way to be cloyingly positive at all times.
    Last edited by fluff; 01-21-2011 at 07:37 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I guess Babs thinks she is Sarah's new "View best buddy" now, replacing Elisabeth, who has been as equally quiet on the subject of Sarah Palin as Babs has been verbose.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

I was quite young when Reagan was the President, as well. I was 18 when the Sr. Bush led us into Desert Storm. My mother is a republican and she adored Reagan. I hear all the time what a great President he was. But I did my research when I became interested in politics and realized these people are nuts! I read an article somewhere written by one of his staffers. He stated that at one point, Nancy was calling the shots because they didn't want anyone to know that he was on a downhill slide into dementia. And this was supposedly in the early days of his second term. Not at the end. That sure would explain a lot.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

PWS
    FORT Fogey

I'm old enough to remember Reagan's presidencies well (and several before him!), and it was obvious that he was in the early stages of Altz. or dementia of some kind even in the first term. The fiasco of that debate still lingers...even if he revived for the 2nd debate, no experienced actor would have had the responses he had in the first debate with all his faculties intact---not as if he had stage fright. I've since had several older relatives go through what Reagan went through, and the similarities were striking.
    On top of that his policies were nuts in general (OK, I give him the Berlin Wall), even when he was govenor. The CA higher ed system took a hit then from which it is still trying to recover.
    I've sometimes wondered if there wasn't some lingering aftereffect of the shooting as well...maybe a little oxygen deprivation, or just a severe shock to the system of an older man.

Does anyone watch Morning Joe? It's a morning a.m. political talk show hosted by Joe Scarboro. He's a former Republican senator from Florida. Anyway, this morning they were comparing Obama to Reagan. Talking of how much alike they are. He adores Reagan. I'm not sure what they were smoking. Did anyone else see it?

Elisabeth pulls this crap all the time. She states one opinion, then changes as soon as she hears the official party line.
    It's nice that someone is calling her out, but I really wish the rest of the panel members had enough interest in their job to do it themselves.

YouTube - Elisabeth Hasselbeck Blames HERSELF for Giffords Shooting Without Realizing It
    "That's Numberwang!"

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4169340;
    Elisabeth pulls this crap all the time. She states one opinion, then changes as soon as she hears the official party line.
    It's nice that someone is calling her out, but I really wish the rest of the panel members had enough interest in their job to do it themselves.

YouTube - Elisabeth Hasselbeck Blames HERSELF for Giffords Shooting Without Realizing It
    Elisabeth is a shallow twit who has no idea what she's spewing from one day to the next. When it comes to expressing her opinions, quantity far exceeds quality in her value system. Her brainless blather somehow got her a job for which she is in no way qualified by virtue of intelligence, insight or experience. Seems to me the ladies of The View have some sort of pact following the Rosie incident not to call out Screecherella on anything, so any disagreement they might have with her is way understated if even mentioned at all. The entire show is worthless and has long since outlived its hype or value.

On another note, I thought it was funny when Babs mentioned that Screech gave her a $20 Christmas purse organizer when she gave Screech a cashmere scarf. While I am (obviously) not a Screech supporter, she might have pointed out that their salaries are in no way comparable ... although surely Screech could have spent a bit more than that, especially for the woman who put her on the map.

+ Reply to Thread