+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1635Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;4101239;
    Actually, she should have pointed out that Bristol's first mistake was not educating herself about various methods of birth control and then making an informed decision on whether to get pregnant or not. Ignorance is always a mistake.
    LOL I just wrote the same thing, not even realizing you wrote this first. Oopsie

Quote Originally Posted by norealityhere;4098821;
    She reminds me of Obama in that regard.
    He's still a smoker, too.
    Smoking is bad, don't get me wrong. But to vilify smokers while not vilifying other addictions to the level we vilify smoking is just wrong, IMO. Smoking is a very hard addiction to quit because of the nicotinic receptors in the brain, much like the opiate receptors in the brain. There are no ETOH (alcohol) receptors; there are no receptors for binge eating or gambling etc. At least not specific to those particular addictions. Any addiction allows for the release of dopamine from neurotransmitters, but smoking and opiate (pain pills, cocaine, heroin) also work on a seperate pathway, making the person doubly addicted, for lack of better term.

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4101166;
    One thing I forgot to mention from yesterday that left me a bit dumbfounded was GW Bush apparently saying in his book that the reason he became so adamanly pro-life (that still irritates me, I consider myself pro-life, it's not as though I want women to get abortions, just think that if they need one they should be able to get one in a safe environment) is because his mother showed him a jar containing the miscarried fetus of what would have been a sibling.
    That was a huge WTF? moment for me. I cannot fathom why she'd show him that. I obviously don't know the circumstances surrounding him seeing it, he could have asked to see it for all I know.
    I can't imagine showing that to one of my children though. I thought it was incredibly odd. It almost made me want to read the book to see if the circumstances were explained in greater detail.

Are you kidding me? As much as I enjoy reading this thread and seeing all of the great comments I never post...because I don't get the chance to watch the show since I'm at work. But this stopped me in my tracks. Either GWB is a truly sick liar (that gets my vote ) or Barb is stone cold crazy!! What kind of person would save their miscarried fetus in a jar, let alone show it to her living children? And really, would someone even be allowed to do that? Crazy..... the things I miss by missing the View!!
    "With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world."
    Desiderata

"I lost my dignity on a slippery wiener."

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4101166;
    One thing I forgot to mention from yesterday that left me a bit dumbfounded was GW Bush apparently saying in his book that the reason he became so adamanly pro-life (that still irritates me, I consider myself pro-life, it's not as though I want women to get abortions, just think that if they need one they should be able to get one in a safe environment) is because his mother showed him a jar containing the miscarried fetus of what would have been a sibling.
    That was a huge WTF? moment for me. I cannot fathom why she'd show him that. I obviously don't know the circumstances surrounding him seeing it, he could have asked to see it for all I know.
    I can't imagine showing that to one of my children though. I thought it was incredibly odd. It almost made me want to read the book to see if the circumstances were explained in greater detail.
    I haven't read the book, but I remember from an interview that he was taking her to the hospital after she miscarried and she brought the fetus with her in a jar. Not sure if she thought it could be saved or what, but yeah. It's not like she saved it and brought it out to scare her kids Still pretty weird though.

Who in the hell keeps their miscarried fetus in a jar? Not only is it gross, but the heartbreak of even having to look at it....well, that would be horrible. The more stuff like this that I hear about...the more normal and sane I realize I am.
    I hate when the cops throw me in the back of the squad car ....like they didnít hear me call shotgun.
    Boy (n) : Noise with dirt on it.

I guess the doctor could have asked her to bring the fetus in so it could be examined. I really don't know any other details. I don't recall The View even mentioning he was an adult at the time, as Lolli said above.
    I don't have any adult children, but still I can't imagine the circumstances under which I'd show them the fetus, it was just very odd to me, but I know nothing about their relationship.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I don't think it was a matter of a "kept" fetus. I think it was being transported to the hospital, which would not more likely.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

2 heads are better than 1 MrMet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Katydyd;4101424;
    Are you kidding me? As much as I enjoy reading this thread and seeing all of the great comments I never post...because I don't get the chance to watch the show since I'm at work. But this stopped me in my tracks. Either GWB is a truly sick liar (that gets my vote ) or Barb is stone cold crazy!! What kind of person would save their miscarried fetus in a jar, let alone show it to her living children? And really, would someone even be allowed to do that? Crazy..... the things I miss by missing the View!!
    Well this is something I didn't expect. I venture into The View thread, and read a post I know something about! I watched the interview Matt Lauer did with Bush last night, and they talked about this. The story was not a matter of a crazy mother preaching a pro-life stand to her children like it sounds from a headline description. Bush told the story in his book because it illustrated an event in his life that drew him closer to his mother. He was a teenager of driving age, and she miscarried at home, and needed to get to the doctor. She put the remains in a jar for the doctor to examine, and her Bush was the only one at home who was able to drive her to the doctor. It bonded them as mother and son because it was one of the first times that he had to relate to her as a grown up instead of a child.

I originally came into this thread because I had read an article about how Joy Behar blasted 60 Minutes for criticizing President Obama for going on their show, and was wondering if it was being talked about. Did any of you see that?

I did see the 60 Minutes discussion, but I can't remember much about it, or whether Joy "blasted" anyone. I suspect with someone like Joy, or Elisabeth how they are portrayed very much depends on where the articles originate.

I wish President Obama hadn't gone on the show purely because it's a poorly produced show and I don't think the ragbag of co-hosts is worthy of interviewing a sitting President, or ex for that matter, President.
    Last edited by fluff; 11-10-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

When I miscarried at home, my doctor told me to "put the fetus in a jar and bring it in." I thought that sounded so callous when he said it, but it is so that they can run tests to hopefully find out why the miscarriage happened.

+ Reply to Thread