+ Reply to Thread
Page 83 of 1103 FirstFirst ... 337374757677787980818283848586878889909192931331835831083 ... LastLast
Like Tree1435Likes

Thread: The View

Am I the only one who thinks Meridith is sitting at home saying OMG I am so glad I am not there?

What TPTB need to do is find a well spoken, conservitive woman in her late 30s - early 50s to take Star's place. That is the only way they can have educated discussions about subjects of a political nature.

ETA: Joy is just as acerbic as Elizabeth, but she gives her opinions in a "joking" manner which makes her more tolerable to viewers.
    Last edited by GabbyG; 08-04-2006 at 10:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Veruka View Post
    You're right - she's responsible for her behavior.

My nephew has a friend he plays with who is a few years older than him. She LOVES to taunt him. She'll hold out one of his favorite toys, and ask him if he wants to play with it. He walks over to get it, and just before it's in his reach, she'll snap it away from him. He usually gets upset and hits her. He gets in trouble for hitting her, as she should. But his being wrong doesn't negate the fact that she is contributing to and encouraging his bad behavior. I see the women on The View as being the same way.
    I understand where you're coming from and I agree, for the most part. The only differentiating factor for me, however, is that it's not just a matter of Elisabeth getting loud and obnoxious when arguing her point because that is just like all of the other women on the show. She, unfortunately, gets completely consumed and worked up to the point that she cannot breathe and that's where I feel that she crosses the line and that's why I thought it was perfectly fine that Barbara told her to "calm down."

Yes, it is completely unfair that she's the only conservative Republican on the panel. Some of her opinions are extreme and prudish... far more than your typical conservative and that makes her stand out even more. But.... she knew what she was getting into when she joined the show as well. Barbara and Joy haven't changed their styles at all so to put all of the blame on them isn't fair, either. No one wins in this situation and I think Elisabeth is even worse of a fit on this show than Debbie was originally. It's a shame.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    #1: I am not talking about child behavior here.

#2: People only give you s##t when they understand that they see that you will react,therefore it behooves you to work around this manipulation so that you are not controlled.

#: This is not her problem. It Is His. Better that he should recognize this sooner, than later. Life Skills for him.

Think about Lucy and Charlie Brown. He's the one that does not get it.
    So, how does one work around the manipulation? It sounds like a good idea, but I wouldn't know how to go about it. It just seems to me that if she keeps her mouth shut, then it would appear that she's agreeing with things that she finds totally against her beliefs. If she tries to state her objections, then she's being unreasonable and childish. It seems that she, and the little boy have a lot in common. Both seem to be the victims, for lack of a better word, of bullies who have the upper hand and know it. I don't see all of it as being their shortcomings. The bullies need to be assigned part of the blame, too. Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    What TPTB need to do is find a well spoken, conservitive woman in her late 30s - early 50s to take Star's place. That is the only way they can have educated discussions about subjects of a political nature.

ETA: Joy is just as acerbic as Elizabeth, but she gives her opinions in a "joking" manner which makes her more tolerable to viewers.
    Why not a person with a moderate politcal viewpoint? I agree about Joy.

Probably because the table is filled with either moderate or liberal political views. The lack is in the strong conservative voice that is rarely heard on "The View" that is supposed to represent (based on their own description) all views.
    Fabulous Fifty

Want to be green?? Join the Premium Member FORT team. Click for more info!

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaky View Post
    Probably because the table is filled with either moderate or liberal political views. The lack is in the strong conservative voice that is rarely heard on "The View" that is supposed to represent (based on their own description) all views.
    I saw Meredith as the only moderate and now she's gone. Rosie and Joy are liberals, Elisabeth is a conservative and Barbara has lost all credibility. Another moderate may be able to hold things together like Meredith did, instead of just adding another loud voice to the argument. We don't need a female version of the cancelled CNN Crossfire.

FORT Fogey
    I think the fact that we're discussing the political viewpoints of the women as the basis indicates a big portion of the problem. As I understood it, the original intent of the show was to get women from all walks of life ... not all political views. Meredith represented the working mom. Star represented the single/childless professional. Joy / Barbara represented the woman who'd done the mom thing and was in the next phase. Debbie represented the younger woman just starting out with career and/or marriage/family ahead of her. It was about the walks of life they were coming from ... not their political views. They've gotten totally away from that in many ways. I think that is the problem.

I like the idea of a moderate, any ideas who they should get? I think they need to get out of the entertainment arena when they make their selection. Someone from the news would be good, perhaps a professional talking head.

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar
    But, how are you going to have a group of people without having their political views as a factor?
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyG View Post
    I like the idea of a moderate, any ideas who they should get? I think they need to get out of the entertainment arena when they make their selection. Someone from the news would be good, perhaps a professional talking head.
    When Meredith first left before Rosie was announced, I heard rumors that ED Hill of Fox and Friends was a possible replacement. I think she would have been outstanding. Life-wise, she's a lot like Meredith (married with a boatlaod of kids). She's also been divorced a couple of times, so brings that experience to the table. Politically, she's assumed to be conservative since she works for Fox, but I get the impression that she's much more moderate than she's assumed to be.

Quote Originally Posted by prhoshay View Post
    But, how are you going to have a group of people without having their political views as a factor?
    By getting back to the show being about life, rather than revolving around politics.

+ Reply to Thread