+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1427Likes

Thread: The View

FORT Fanatic

Re: The View

why is it that some people feel that they can call the current president a pinhead, yet if someone said that regarding the previous president, that person was "UNamerican"?

The planned burning of the Quran by a minister with a small congregation was wrong, but not illegal. It was tasteless and offensive to many people and the President spoke out against it. The building of a Mosque on grounds that were destroyed by the landing gear of one of the hijacked planes during 9/11 is tasteless and offensive to many in the same way, but not illegal.

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by tears.and.rain;4089554;
    Beautifully said, Redsox Girl.

It is not the president's job to be tasteful, or to decide what is tasteful. It is his job to protect us, from ourselves as well as others. It is his job to make sure that everyone's fundamental constitutional rights are protected. It is his job to protect us against our own ignorance and fear, in the hopes that we may overcome it.

We can't just hide everything that offends us. For example, if I had my way, fear mongerers and demagogues like Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Bill O'Reilly, who spread hate and distrust, and misuse information to mislead the American people, who are giant hypocrites, would not be given a forum for their abuse of their notoriety. But they are. As they should be.
    Don't forget to add: Bill Maher, Jeneane Garofalo, Chris Matthews and just about everyone at the Huffington Post.

Orlando Rodriguez and Phyllis Schaefer Rodriguez, whose son died in the attack, say they "support the building of the Islamic community center in lower Manhattan" and "feel that it would honor our son and other victims".[217]

Marvin Bethea, a former EMS worker who was forced to retire in 2004 because of breathing problems caused by working at the 9/11 site, believes racism is a factor in the controversy, He said "even though my life has changed, I don't hate the Muslims. Especially being a black man, I know what it's like to be discriminated against. I've lived with that."[153]

Donna O'Connor, whose pregnant daughter died on 9/11, expressed the opinion that "This building will serve as an emblem for the rest of the world that Americans ... recognize that the evil acts of a few must never damn the innocent."[218]

Ted Olson, former Solicitor General in the George W. Bush administration, whose wife, television commentator Barbara Olson, died in the plane that crashed into the Pentagon, said "we don't want to turn an act of hate against us by extremists into an act of intolerance for people of religious faith."[219][220]

Talat Hamdani, whose son was a first responder in the rescue effort and died in 9/1:.["You know, if it’s one faith today, it’s going to be another faith tomorrow. That is scary. And to scapegoat the Muslims for the acts of a foreign terrorist, that is — that is hatred."

Terry Rockefeller, whose sister was killed, said: "this doesn't insult her at all. This celebrates the city she loved living in. It is what makes America what we are."[155}
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

FORT Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by redsox girl;4089775;
    Orlando Rodriguez and Phyllis Schaefer Rodriguez, whose son died in the attack, say they "support the building of the Islamic community center in lower Manhattan" and "feel that it would honor our son and other victims".[217]

Marvin Bethea, a former EMS worker who was forced to retire in 2004 because of breathing problems caused by working at the 9/11 site, believes racism is a factor in the controversy, He said "even though my life has changed, I don't hate the Muslims. Especially being a black man, I know what it's like to be discriminated against. I've lived with that."[153]

Donna O'Connor, whose pregnant daughter died on 9/11, expressed the opinion that "This building will serve as an emblem for the rest of the world that Americans ... recognize that the evil acts of a few must never damn the innocent."[218]

Ted Olson, former Solicitor General in the George W. Bush administration, whose wife, television commentator Barbara Olson, died in the plane that crashed into the Pentagon, said "we don't want to turn an act of hate against us by extremists into an act of intolerance for people of religious faith."[219][220]

Talat Hamdani, whose son was a first responder in the rescue effort and died in 9/1:.["You know, if itís one faith today, itís going to be another faith tomorrow. That is scary. And to scapegoat the Muslims for the acts of a foreign terrorist, that is ó that is hatred."

Terry Rockefeller, whose sister was killed, said: "this doesn't insult her at all. This celebrates the city she loved living in. It is what makes America what we are."[155}
    The above are part of the 30% that O'Reilly was talking about on The View.

Quote Originally Posted by run4cures;4089787;
    The above are part of the 30% that O'Reilly was talking about on The View.
    Actually I edited for content, otherwise it would be a two page post, at least. But more to the point, calling those who support the building of the community center insensitive (especially when so much of the support comes from families of victims) is inappropriate.The center is not a Mosque and was never called a Mosque until blogger Jenniffer Geller purposely miscalled it a Mosque in one of her anti Islamic blogs, which she published this past summer. Until the media picked up on her rants most Americans outside of Manhattan had no idea about the building of a community center. Those living in Manhattan, well a majority supported it's construction, including Mayor Bloomberg and even conservative talk show host laura Ingram. This was two years before the rest of America had even heard of this project. So, for two years this project was moving along beautifully, with catholics and Jews working with Muslims to create a community friendly gathering place for multiple uses. All had lost or at least had experienced damage to their own places of worship so the idea of a community center appealed to almost everyone. However, Once the media picked up on Gellers anti Islamic editorials this past summer the rest of America got involved and based their opinions not on the facts of this building but what the media was getting from jennifer Geller. They ran with the story even though what she wrote was factually incorrect. She went on to state that Mosque would be a hulking structure oversdhadowing ground zero. Again, her `fact's are lies. The community center will not even be visible from Ground Zero, It will contain bookshops, restaurants a performing arts center, a community gathering place an interfaith worship area and yes a section where Americans of Islamic faith can take their daily prayers. There were Mosques destroyed in the 9/11 attacks, including those in the Towers and the worship area within The Pentagon. When the pentagon rebuilt it also rebuilt the worship area within the pentagon. 7 out of 10 American may disagree with the building of the community center (known as Park 51) but many of them are basing their reaction not on the truth of Park 51 but on the misinformation provided by Jennifer Geller and a media not particularly interested in checking it's facts before publishing outrageous accusations based on a hate mongers blog opinions. But again, I understand why Americans are uncomfortable with this and it would be wrong for anyone to criticize the feelings of those victims families who oppose the center. But to suggest this is insensitive, that it's a mosque and that somehow those who support it are insensitive is incorrect. Americans should be able to disagree-but again, I'm reading that those of us who support Park 51 including the victims families are insensitive and as ignorant as that pastor in Florida who wanted to burn The Koran. How can such a comparison even be made? He is driven by hate, I can assure you the supporters of Park 51, particularly the victims families and the clergy, are not driven by hate and from he beginning this project was truly about a healing process, as I wrote. One woman, one woman named Jennifer Geller changed all of that with the help of some media outlets whose own agendas were less about healing and more about ratings and hate mongering.
    "Remember, sometimes your`buddy' isn't really your `buddy'." - Donny

Quote Originally Posted by babyfat101;4089613;
    why is it that some people feel that they can call the current president a pinhead, yet if someone said that regarding the previous president, that person was "UNamerican"?
    I think both Bush and Obama made a lot of "pinheaded" decisions/calls (and continue to do so)...I wonder what that makes me?

But, in all seriousness, I think people are labeled by the opposing party's "stereotype branding." So, when people were against Bush, his political machine painted the opponents as anti-american. Similarily, when people hurl insults at Obama his side often labels opponents as "racists" or other deragotory terms. Anything to distract people from the real issues and get them arguing over name-calling and insults (much like the last two pages of this thread has demonstrated...?) instead of working together to find real solutions. Most importantly, they don't want Americans focusing too much on what is going on: otherwise we might notice that thousands of people are dying while bush continues to destroy the english language and obama discusses his ipod playlist with rolling stone.

FORT Fogey

Getting back to the more frivolous observations, what was with Elisabeth's face today? Have I just not noticed it before, or has she been injected with a gallon of Botox?

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

Must admit that I haven't noticed anything strange about the manic parakeet's face. I'll have to pay closer attention. And thank you for the road back to frivolity!
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

OK, I just saw what I think you're talking about. It's definitely not botox since her forehead has multiple wrinkles when she raises her eyebrows. Today, she had her hair in a center part with no bangs, and she has a large forehead....it might even qualify as a "five-head". It's usually in a side part with bangs.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

+ Reply to Thread