+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1557Likes

Thread: The View

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Re: The View

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;4088622;
    That is why it is called the VIEW singular. There is only one point of view there.

Why do people keep comparing 911 bombers to Timothy McVeigh (Whoopi in this case) yes he was Catholic but he didn't do the bombing in the name of his religion or because of his Catholic beliefs. The 911 terrorists DID do their bombings in the name of their religion, a jihaad act. Yes, they are extremists and no they do not represent ALL muslims, however, not all Muslims are terrorists but ALL all the terrorists who bombed us on 911 were Muslim and acted specifically on an extreme Muslim belief.
    I'm with you wholeheartedly on this.

That is the point I believe Bill was expressing but Whoopi and Joy who are predisposed to not liking Bill wanted to nail him on something and picked a PC slip. Then when he would not back down they took their ball and went home.
    I thought their walk-out hurt them more than it helped them. And while I don't think their walk-out was staged, as in "fake-staged" per se, I do think Joy and Whoopi discussed things backstage, essentially mutually agreeing to walk off stage in the event that O'Reilly said something they deemed offensive, which of course they knew he would. So there you have it. While I don't think it was staged in the Jerrry Springer sense for shock value and for ratings purposes, I do, however, think they mutually decided it in a kind of "Look, if get offended and walk off stage during O'Reilly's segment, then you walk off with me to show a united front" sort of a way. Something about the way Joy stood up at that one particular moment just seemed pre-determined to me....almost as though she was thinking 'Ok...this would be a good time to do the walk-off we planned'. I rememer Joy stood up and just kept standing there for a few seconds as though waiting for Whoopi to get up too....at least that's how it came across to me. So while I do think their walk-off was legitimate, I also think it was pre-planned between them--not only to make a statement, but also to embarrass O'Reilly whom they both loathe.

And while I appreciate some of Joy's views and actually make a point of watching The Joy Behar Show every evening, the end result of her walking off stage with Whoopi was that they both came off looking ridiculous.
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

Signed, Sealed, Delivered prhoshay's Avatar

I enjoy Joy's jokes about the Catholics, having been raised/schooled under that label.
    "...each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one." - Mitch Albom, one helluva writer

When you throw a rock into a pack of dogs, you know which one you hit by the one that yelps!

FORT Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by bee stung lips;4088687;
    I'm with you wholeheartedly on this.

I thought their walk-out hurt them more than it helped them. And while I don't think their walk-out was staged, as in "fake-staged" per se, I do think Joy and Whoopi discussed things backstage, essentially mutually agreeing to walk off stage in the event that O'Reilly said something they deemed offensive, which of course they knew he would. So there you have it. While I don't think it was staged in the Jerrry Springer sense for shock value and for ratings purposes, I do, however, think they mutually decided it in a kind of "Look, if get offended and walk off stage during O'Reilly's segment, then you walk off with me to show a united front" sort of a way. Something about the way Joy stood up at that one particular moment just seemed pre-determined to me....almost as though she was thinking 'Ok...this would be a good time to do the walk-off we planned'. I rememer Joy stood up and just kept standing there for a few seconds as though waiting for Whoopi to get up too....at least that's how it came across to me. So while I do think their walk-off was legitimate, I also think it was pre-planned between them--not only to make a statement, but also to embarrass O'Reilly whom they both loathe.

And while I appreciate some of Joy's views and actually make a point of watching The Joy Behar Show every evening, the end result of her walking off stage with Whoopi was that they both came off looking ridiculous.
    I thought the same thing she looked like she actually was nodding to Whoopi as if are you ready now, lets do it now. I agree with your observations to a t and thought the exact same thing when they did it. It still amazes me that they were not offended ( Whoopi wasn't there I know) when Rosie made her blanket statement comparing Christians to terrorists! Didn't see Joy up in arms then!

They need to stop discussing religion if they can't be approach the subject objectively. Like I said, you have one far-right dingdong and the rest are far-left extemists who only like their "side" and fail to understand that screaming back and forth accomplishes NOTHING. Frankly, they all seem pretty ignorant, stubborn and ill-educated and I will never believe that these ladies are even close to representing the 'views' of american women. I think they are a disgrace.

I haven't watched in awhile, but I generally agree with most of what Joy has to say. I don't agree with Whoopi as much. I do think that Joy has become more up to date on current events since she started her HLN show, which is quite good.

I don't see why anyone who liked Joy and Whoopi before the incident would like them less because of it. How would it hurt them? Those who think those two are WRONG on many issues just use that walk out as some sort of proof of their contentions. I don't see their point.

I think Joy's views are very representative of many adult, professional, liberal, middle to upper-middle class, women around the country. Most women in my social circle and professional friends would agree and tend to vote for candidates she promotes on the show. So, yes, I think she does represent a good portion of the country. Oh, she and Whoopi were big Obama supporters and he did win, even in some traditionally Republican states such as my state of residence, North Carolina. I think there is proof that their viewpoints are popular.

I do not believe Joy or Whoopi would have walked off without the producer, Bill Geddy's, approval. No way.
    Last edited by Debb70; 10-21-2010 at 03:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Debb70;4088773;
    I haven't watched in awhile, but I generally agree with most of what Joy has to say. I don't agree with Whoopi as much. I do think that Joy has become more up to date on current events since she started her HLN show, which is quite good.

I don't see why anyone who liked Joy and Whoopi before the incident would like them less because of it. How would it hurt them? Those who think those two are WRONG on many issues just use that walk out as some sort of proof of their contentions. I don't see their point.

I think Joy's views are very representative of many adult, professional, liberal, middle to upper-middle class, women around the country. Most women in my social circle and professional friends would agree and tend to vote for candidates she promotes on the show. So, yes, I think she does represent a good portion of the country. Oh, she and Whoopi were big Obama supporters and he did win, even in some traditionally Republican states such as my state of residence, North Carolina. I think there is proof that their viewpoints are popular.

I do not believe Joy or Whoopi would have walked off without the producer, Bill Geddy's, approval. No way.
    I don't know about getting approval from Geddie, but aside from that I agree with pretty much everything in your post, Debb.

I don't consider Joy's opinions to be "extreme" in the least and not just because I agree with many of them.
    Conversely, I do consider some of Elisabeth's statements to be extreme compared to how I feel, but compared to some opinions I've heard even she is not at the far wing of the spectrum party.
    She has slightly softened on a few issues over the years, most recently gay marriage. She did once ignorantly argue that if gays are allowed to marry next someone might want to marry a toaster.

I don't think the walk-off was staged and didn't get the impression Joy was going to walk until Whoopi also stood up. Bill Geddie disgusts me, but I hope even he wouldn't agree to that ahead of time without Barbara's approval. She's 80 years old and recently had heart surgery. She coped with the scene admirably, but she did seem a bit rattled.

I think they all get too invloved in subjects they aren't knowledgable enough to discuss.
    Joy and Whoopi are pretty lazy in that they seem to do zero preparation for the show. Elisabeth clearly has her talking points fed to her and Sherri really did attempt to educate herself during the run up to the last Presidential election, but doesn't seem to have done much since. There's simply no requirement to on this show.

They really need to clean house imo, get an entirely new panel.
    We can all pretty well predict what each person will say on the majority of the issues discussed.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;4088622;
    That is why it is called the VIEW singular. There is only one point of view there.

Why do people keep comparing 911 bombers to Timothy McVeigh (Whoopi in this case) yes he was Catholic but he didn't do the bombing in the name of his religion or because of his Catholic beliefs. The 911 terrorists DID do their bombings in the name of their religion, a jihaad act. Yes, they are extremists and no they do not represent ALL muslims, however, not all Muslims are terrorists but ALL all the terrorists who bombed us on 911 were Muslim and acted specifically on an extreme Muslim belief. That is the point I believe Bill was expressing but Whoopi and Joy who are predisposed to not liking Bill wanted to nail him on something and picked a PC slip. Then when he would not back down they took their ball and went home.
    He didn't come on the show to talk this point it was brought up in conjunction to his book pinhead and patriots and he was attempting to point out that he thought President Obama took the wrong road when responding to questions about building the mosque.

Actually McVeigh, in taped interviews released last year(taped prior to his execution) stated he was inspired by his Christian beliefs to join a militia. We can argue minute details about faith but the fact is God(and his ongoing internal debate as to God's existence) played a role in his mind set along with his views about America. Similarly the terrorists cloaked themselves in moral superiority via God (using a perverted version of Muslim just as McVeigh originally used a perverted version of his Christian faith to join a militia). Both the foreign born terrorists and our own home grown terrorist(s) (don't forget Terry McNichols sits in jail) mixed these religious perversions with hatred of American policies to justify their acts of cold blooded murder. Those of us who practice our faith, whether Catholicism or Islam, would never ever say the 9/11 terrorists or Mcveigh shared our beliefs or any belief in God whatsoever and what they did profess as their faith was made up by operatives intent on indoctrinating young men via pseudo religion. If Mr. O'Reilly truly wanted to have a civil discussion in which to make a fact based point about the community center he would have willingly avoided using such provocative terms in the spirit of civil discourse. But, that's not what he's paid to do. Furthermore, not all 9/11 families oppose the community center:"There is no simple, singular 9/11 group who really should or could speak for all 9/11 family members," said Donna Marsh O'Connor of September Eleventh Families for Peaceful Tomorrows, a coalition of more than 250 families which recently endorsed the mosque. Since the endorsement, the membership numbers have grown, she said.O'Connor told TPM in an interview that it's unfair for groups like Debra Burlingame's 9/11 Families for a Safe and Strong America to act as if they are representing everyone who lost loved ones in the attacks. O'Connor's 29-year-old daughter Vanessa, pregnant at the time, was killed working on the 93rd floor of one of the twin towers.

"This is not a small issue, this is what America has always been a place where people come to escape religious persecution," O'Connor (pictured at left) said. "I can understand people saying that this is a slap. This does hurt. But we don't change fundamentally what our nation is about because it will hurt people."

"We're a family who is forever changed, certainly forever scarred, but we're not the victims of 9/11. Our daughter was the victim of 9/11 and we don't want to see our nation fold," she said.

I'd also like to point out, if O'Reilly or any of these other chest thumpers truly cared about victims of the terrorist attacks they would stop yapping about non issues like the community center and vent their outrage at a real issue: the failure in July of a measure that would have provided for $7.4 billion in health care funding for emergency responders and others who were sickened by the World Trade Center dust. Just 12 Republicans joined Democrats in voting for the measure, which needed a two-thirds majority to pass.

...and now back to The View
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

FORT Fanatic

I believe Bill was discussing or trying to discuss the problem people have with Obamas response to the mosque being built. The 911 bombers flat out made no bones that this was done in the name and because of their religion. Timothy McVeigh is up for discussion he may have been warped etc but it wasn't a jihaadist act in the name of God or his God anyway. The 911 bombers did do it as a religious act. Sure there are those who don't care if it is built, so what? The majority of people feel it is insensitive to build it there. I am not stating my opinion on whether I think it should or not.

Bill wasn't just talking about 911 families he was making a fact based point that more people feel it is poor taste to build it there. While 911 hurt the families that were killed the most to be sure, it changed all of Americans lives forever. We all have the right to feel what we want about it and it doesn't just effect the 911 families.

I believe O'Reilly has touched on the measure before on his show about the health care funding. This however was a hot topic nationally so he was addressing Obama's pinheaded response to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandy;4089157;
    I believe Bill was discussing or trying to discuss the problem people have with Obamas response to the mosque being built. The 911 bombers flat out made no bones that this was done in the name and because of their religion. Timothy McVeigh is up for discussion he may have been warped etc but it wasn't a jihaadist act in the name of God or his God anyway. The 911 bombers did do it as a religious act. Sure there are those who don't care if it is built, so what? The majority of people feel it is insensitive to build it there. I am not stating my opinion on whether I think it should or not.

Bill wasn't just talking about 911 families he was making a fact based point that more people feel it is poor taste to build it there. While 911 hurt the families that were killed the most to be sure, it changed all of Americans lives forever. We all have the right to feel what we want about it and it doesn't just effect the 911 families.

I believe O'Reilly has touched on the measure before on his show about the health care funding. This however was a hot topic nationally so he was addressing Obama's pinheaded response to it.

The community center had been approved over two years ago by NYC, with a majority of families and citizens supporting it's construction. It only became an `issue' in July, when the media began reporting on anti Islamic blogger Jennifer Gellers inaccurate posts about the intent and origins of the center. Not only were her blogs factually inaccurate, she lied, presenting opinion as fact. Again, no one is saying building a community center is necessarily a comfortable thing, but what's worse is allowing fear to destroy the tennant's this country were built on and that is how the terrorists actually win, when good Americans allow their fear and prejudices to deny other Americans their rights. If Ms. Geller is so upset about blasphemy being commited on `sacred ground' she should perhaps concern herself with the retail stores, strip joints and coffee shops surrounding `sacred gorund' rather than complainign about a building that is two blocks away. While Donna Marsh(I mentioned her in my previous post), who lost her pregnant daughter in the 9/11 attacks, shows grace and an amazing understanding of what it would mean not to allow the community center to be built, Jennifer Geller, someone who will never know that kind of searing loss, has chosen to use the deaths of 9/11 to further her own agenda, using lies and falsehoods to cause incredible pain and devisiveness. Here is a time line on how she turned something hopeful and positive into something divisive. The article also points out her lies. How the "ground zero mosque" fear mongering began - War Room - Salon.com
    I also wonder what Americans who do not support the community center would say to the sixty plus American families of Islamic faith who lost their loved ones on 9/11? There were firefighters and EMT workers off duty that day, of Islamic faith who went to the scene and died saving their fellow Americans. What about the hundreds of American soldiers of Islamic faith who have died in Iraq and Afghanistan? They died to keep us safe. They gave their lives for us. Their patriotism and heroism and selflessness is far more admirable to me than the opinions of bloggers and talking heads who will never ever know what it's like to willingly give their lives for a higher purpose, to give up their lives for the rights of other Americans and for the world. Again, O'Reilly could have simply chosen to focus on his point thereby providing an opportunity to discuss differing viewpoints. But he chose to use wording that he knew would upset people. He chose to inflame rather than inform. Both sides of this country, the `liberals' and the `Conservatives' are just as guilty of using name calling rather than facts while `discussing' difficult topics. I support President Obama on many issues, so when someone calls him pinheaded it is also an insult to me and my intelligence. It makes me want to stop listening and resort to a counter attack based on emotion and how does that help repair the damages caused by both sides inflicting insults on the other? We are all Americans.

Having said that we are going way off topic and we need to simply agree to disagree as we don't want to keep rehashing the subject matter.
    " I have a simple outlook-leave every person I meet with a smile on their face."-Donny

FORT Fogey

Beautifully said, Redsox Girl.

It is not the president's job to be tasteful, or to decide what is tasteful. It is his job to protect us, from ourselves as well as others. It is his job to make sure that everyone's fundamental constitutional rights are protected. It is his job to protect us against our own ignorance and fear, in the hopes that we may overcome it.

We can't just hide everything that offends us. For example, if I had my way, fear mongerers and demagogues like Glen Beck, Rush Limbaugh, and Bill O'Reilly, who spread hate and distrust, and misuse information to mislead the American people, who are giant hypocrites, would not be given a forum for their abuse of their notoriety. But they are. As they should be.

+ Reply to Thread