+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1808Likes

Thread: The View

Re: The View

$250,000 not a lot of money? I wish I made that kind of not a lot of money.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;4073803;
    No kiddin'. I bet a lot of people do. Isn't the average wage something like $40,000 (haven't fact checked that) ?

I usually find her advice pretty sound, but I was a surprised by her comments today.
    They were talking about the tax rate going back up to 39% for people who make over 250k. Her argument was, specially in big cities, $250k wasn't much.
    You can't live like Suze Orman on $250k, but you can more than survive on that amount of money in New York, I know plenty of people that have and continue to.
    She was on the show a while back and told them she made $4m the year prior to this visit. I guess for her $250k is chump change.
    "That's Numberwang!"

If I made 250 thous even ONE year....I could retire forever!

Quote Originally Posted by dagwood;4073803;
    It amazes me how rich people have no clue as to what us real people survive off of.

My salary is in the mid 30 range (and have health/dental and pension plan)- I was watching Til Debt do you Part yesterday and realized that my monthly net income is equal to what some people pay on their mortgage.

Reminds me of Oprah from years ago saying everyone needed a particular t-shirt, and it was ONLY $80 - sorry hon, that would be me 10 very good cotton t-shirts that work just as well thank you.......
    “No matter how dark the moment, love and hope are always possible.” George Chakiris

Believe nothing that you hear and only half of what you see. :nono

Where I is, you 'ain't! bee stung lips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4073766;
    Odd show today.
    Suze Orman declaring that people who earn $250,000 a year aren't making a lot of money.

Sherri looked close to tears when discussing the Bishop Eddie Long.
    I missed the show yesterday - what were they / Sherri saying about the Eddie Long case?
    "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4073766;
    Odd show today.
    Suze Orman declaring that people who earn $250,000 a year aren't making a lot of money. Whoopi busted out the Valley Girl voice that I know we must all have been missing when she introduced Snooki's new book as the first Hot Topic of the day. Elisabeth informed us she's having a mammogram and shouted out to Bill to see if he wanted to go along. I asssume that was an attempt at a joke.
    Sherri looked close to tears when discussing the Bishop Eddie Long. It's very sad to me that Sherri seems so desperate for Jeffrey to have a male role model in his life, yet she took him across the country and away from his own father when offered the job at The View (can't blame her for taking it, good, steady money for a parttime job).
    Jeff Tarpley obviously wasn't a great husband, but I don't recall Sherri ever being critical of him as a father (not that I'd expect her to be on tv, particuarly not after he publicly told her to stop talking about their relationship).
    Well, from all I read Bishop Long is NOT the male role model you want... Never been a fan of the philosophy that God wants us to be rich and wear diamonds and gold anyway, but if these accusations are true not only has the man abused his power he's a complete hypocrite about gays.

Quote Originally Posted by PWS;4074526;
    Well, from all I read Bishop Long is NOT the male role model you want... Never been a fan of the philosophy that God wants us to be rich and wear diamonds and gold anyway, but if these accusations are true not only has the man abused his power he's a complete hypocrite about gays.
    No, definitely not who you'd want.
    For Sherri, who believes in the bible completely and literally and who holds Pastors in high regard, I think accusations against Bishop Long really did trouble her even more deeply than they would the average person who is simply disgusted by his alleged actions.
    I think she really wants to see Pastors as infallible and wants to feel that her belief in them as people can always be as strong as her belief in her religion.
    I think she's more upset than she would be if she heard that a man who was not a Pastor was accused of the things Long is being accused of.

Sherri made a stupid comment to Justin Timberlake today.
    They were interviewing the young guys from the movie The Social Network. Sherri said that Jesse Eisenberg and Andrew Garfield can go about their lives with a lot of anonumity even though they've been in big movies, but told Justin Timberlake that girls, 'drop their panties when you walk down the street'.
    I thouht that was such an odd thing to say to someone. She's a strange woman.
    "That's Numberwang!"

Quote Originally Posted by fluff;4073823;
    No kiddin'. I bet a lot of people do. Isn't the average wage something like $40,000 (haven't fact checked that) ?
    I don't know what the average but last year I was in the 30K's and, while I didn't have enough for extras, it kept a roof over our heads and food in our bellies. It would take me 7 years or so to make $250.
    He who laughs last thinks slowest

#oldmanbeatdown - Donny BB16

I wouldn't class this is a topic deserving of the label "hot", but they were discussing parents kissing their children of the opposite sex on the lips this morning and went on to discuss bathing with children of the opposite sex. Semi-interesting discussion.

They also talked about Mayor Bloomberg wanting a law to stop people using food stamps to buy sugary and/or fizzy drinks.
    Whoopi seemed very annoyed by this idea and somehow figured Bloomberg was basically saying poor people are fat and if food stamp recipients were to be banned from using the stamps to buy sugary drinks then sugary drinks should be banned altogether.
    "That's Numberwang!"

PWS
    FORT Fogey

Well, while all poor people are not fat, on average poor people (in the US) ARE (even) fatter than rich people. In large parts of inner cities there are NO real grocery stores, just 7-11s and bodegas that sell fast food and snacks, so even if you want to eat healthy it is hard.
    It would be a better sell though if he started with reforming the school lunch program (sometimes the only meal for some kids) so that it didn't serve such unhealthy food (See Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution thread under Other Realty TV for some details).

+ Reply to Thread